An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus Christ

Socrates

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jan 10 2006, 06:15 AM']How is teaching by his own authority not radical or revolutionary?  How is it not a liberal idea  to teach that everyone can come to the Father when the Jews believed it was for them alone? 
Do some misuse the word liberal?  Yes just like some misuse the words Christian

and conservative.
[right][snapback]851417[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You've defined liberal as:
"1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry."
Christ did not come simply to attack tradition, authority, or orthodoxy, but to establish His own authority, and bestow this authority in his own Church.
Liberals (both political and religious) tend to attack the Church established by Christ, the legitimate traditions of His Church, the authority of of His Church, and the Truth of Catholic dogmas.
Simply rejecting legitimate authority and "doing their own thing" hardly makes them Christ-like! (Especially when they are attacking that which is established by Christ Himself.)

hot stuff, you accuse conservatives of twisting the meaning of liberal, but I don't think conservatives are to blame for this. Self-described liberals have defined themselves in this way.
Usually, when self-described modern-day liberals say, "Jesus was a liberal," they mean to imply that Jesus would approve of their liberal positions, and is on "their side" politically (or religiously).

My challenge is to let self-described liberals explain themselves what liberalism means, then give evidence from Scripture that Jesus was indeed a liberal.

I really don't like it when people try to politicize Jesus. I dunno, it's just that almost every time I read about or hear somebody try to put Him into a political category, especially a very modern political category, that person also denies His Divinity: "Jesus was a liberal . . . he was a nice, warm, fuzzy, popular spiritual leader who was put to death for his liberal views. But his followers were really crafty characters and were able to spread his message of [insert the individual's personal political agenda here] everywhere."

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life and is perfect as the Father is perfect. He is way above politics and political categories.