An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's your American party?

qfnol31

Which American political party do you support most?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't vote in primaries for professional reasons.

And I like being an independent voter. I think even if I felt comfortable from a professional aligning myself with a certain party, I wouldn't do so.

[quote name='Josh' date='Jan 8 2006, 10:24 PM']Although abortion is a huge issue, it won't be dealt with soon (in Britain this is the case, at least).
[right][snapback]849738[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There may not be an outright ban on the cards any time soon, but things are looking promising for a reduction in the time limit. Many MPs have supported a rethink of the current laws.

[url="http://www.aliveandkickingcampaign.org/"]http://www.aliveandkickingcampaign.org/[/url]

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 9 2006, 12:53 PM']I don't vote in primaries for professional reasons.

And I like being an independent voter. I think even if I felt comfortable from a professional aligning myself with a certain party, I wouldn't do so.
[right][snapback]850443[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I might actually vote in them this time because I am worried about who will win those...:(

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 9 2006, 02:02 PM']I might actually vote in them this time because I am worried about who will win those...:(
[right][snapback]850446[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't know if I could stomach having to declare a party. It makes me slightly ill to think about it.

I have a feeling the Democrats would not put up a pro-life candidate.

That leaves me with the option of a smaller party (not really an option, sadly) and hopefully voting for a pro-life Republican candidate.

Either way, it doesn't necessarily influence my presidential vote (well, hopefully it would!), but it does open new doors for better options than what we're looking at. :)

What is it that makes you unhappy with the idea, if I may ask?

Well, from a professional standpoint, the party you register as is public record. I don't want to register as a R and then write about a political issue and have Ds come to me and say, "Look, you're totally biased and we can prove it -- you've registered as an R in the last X elections." Or vice versa. Most reporters I know are the same way, except for the ones who live in counties in which the primaries ARE the election (i.e., there are so few Ds that they're not a real option).

Even though I know I have a bias and I'm sure that comes out in my reporting, I don't want people to feel that they won't be treated fairly when I write about them.

From a personal standpoint, each of the parties has stances that I strongly disagree with. I prefer not to be allied with something I can't fully support.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 9 2006, 02:05 PM'] (not really an option, sadly)
[right][snapback]850576[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh? Are 3rd parties outlawed in your state?

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 9 2006, 03:05 PM']I have a feeling the Democrats would not put up a pro-life candidate.

That leaves me with the option of a smaller party (not really an option, sadly) and hopefully voting for a pro-life Republican candidate.
[right][snapback]850576[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

oh ya – no way a pro-life candidate would make it in the dem primary EVER
Any pro-life candidate wouldn’t get past the extreme liberal machine that tightly controls the party – and steers it according to their agenda

The GOP doesn’t have the same control by any “Conservative machine” … so a pro-abort candidate could realistically do well in the primaries… and then get little support by principled conservatives in the actual election – thus handing the win to the pro-abort anti-self-defense pro-welfare state Dem

The Dem controls on thier process is interesting, but not suprising
(liberalism is elitism and elitism is control)
I, personally attend every election – and in my opinion every primary is as urgent as the final election … I see it as “round one” and “round two”

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 9 2006, 03:24 PM']I don't think they have much choice of winning.  :blush:
[right][snapback]850747[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Tell that to Abraham Lincoln.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Jan 10 2006, 10:34 AM']Tell that to Abraham Lincoln.
[right][snapback]851515[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Lincoln lived how many years ago again? ;)

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 10 2006, 11:22 AM']Lincoln lived how many years ago again?  ;)
[right][snapback]851555[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He was living at about the same time you last conceded a point to someone.