An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's your American party?

qfnol31

Which American political party do you support most?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote]McCAIN [to Bush]: Do you believe in the exemption, in the case of abortion, for rape, incest, and life of the mother?
BUSH: [b]Yeah, I do[/b].
McCain: [But you] support the pro-life plank [in the Republican Party platform]?
BUSH: I do.
McCAIN: So, in other words, your position is that you believe there’s an exemption for rape, incest and the life of the mother, but you want the platform that you’re supposed to be leading to have no exemption. Help me out there, will you?
BUSH: I will. The platform doesn’t talk about what specifically should be in the constitutional amendment. The platform speaks about a constitutional amendment. It doesn’t refer to how that constitutional amendment ought to be defined.
McCAIN: If you read the platform, it has no exceptions.
BUSH: John, I think we need to keep the platform the way it is. This is a pro-life party.
McCAIN: Then you are contradicting your platform.

--Exchange between Bush and McCain, on Larry King Live, 2000 [/quote]

I voted for Bush because the alternative was even worse. But Bush is, nevertheless, pro-abortion.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' date='Jan 8 2006, 02:29 PM']I'm not sure. I thought he was unapologetically pro life, without exceptions. I could be wrong...
[right][snapback]849609[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This is from OntheIssues.org:

[quote]Reagan was not as obsessive about anti-abortion legislation as he often seemed. Early in his California governorship he had signed a permissive abortion bill that has resulted in more than a million abortions. Afterward, he inaccurately blamed this outcome on doctors, saying that they had deliberately misinterpreted the law. When Reagan ran for president, he won backing from pro-life forces by advocating a constitutional amendment that would have prohibited all abortions except when necessary to save the life of the mother. Reagan’s stand was partly a product of political calculation, as was his tactic after he was elected of addressing the annual pro-life rally held in Washington by telephone so that he would not be seen with the leaders of the movement on the evening news. While I do not doubt Reagan’s sincerity in advocating an anti-abortion amendment, he invested few political resources toward obtaining this goal.
Source: The Role of a Lifetime, by Lou Cannon, p. 812 Jul 2, 1991 [/quote]

the canidates that win election win for a reson.. they get the most votes by appealing to the most people, that is they play a middle of the road to everyone. Thats both the beauty and curse of a democratic republic. We're not going to get an extremist that leads us down some crazy road, instead the way of progress is slow and subtle. Personally I'm more ok with a slow changing congress than an extreme over powerful leader.

EENS- A Catholic Monarchy? Sounds like Charlemagne over again...

a quick note on the prolife stuff...

Personally I believe its out of Congress's hands, and I'm not sure an executive order could even do much. Remember it wasn't a law that made aborition legal it was a court ruling that you could not stop an aborition on privacy grounds. The key to stopping aborition in the US is in the courts not the legislation.

[quote name='Colleen' date='Jan 8 2006, 01:27 PM']Didn't Reagan kind of pave the way for Roe v. Wade (at least, as the governor of California)?
[right][snapback]849605[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Reagan changed his views on abortion between being Governor of California and becoming President.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='zwergel88' date='Jan 8 2006, 01:48 PM']The Democratic Party

I don't like the death penalty, war, torture, or tax cuts for the rich, but I do like health care for everyone, good public schools, and social security, etc.  In a nutshell that is why I am a democrat.
[right][snapback]849502[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
...and a pacifist, and a big-government Marxist

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='Jan 8 2006, 01:59 PM']Do you think Brownback (KS) is a likely candidate? he's pro life....and Catholic...
[right][snapback]849587[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
And Santorum is a daily communicant, I believe. However, I don't think either will be able to run.

Inactive Josh

Coming from the stance of someone who doesn't live in the USA, it would seem important to me that democratic elections aren't a single issue affair (i.e. abortion). The Bishops Conference of England and Wales, at the last general election, released a document which showed the various issues at stake, namely those such as social justice, a willingness to welcome asylim seekers, care for the homeless, the Iraq War/foreign policy and abortion.

I think, essentially, a Catholic must be a floating voter and must be astute enough to recognise what will be dealt with in the next session of government. Although abortion is a huge issue, it won't be dealt with soon (in Britain this is the case, at least). However, if you take an issue such as the Iraq War, then you have something which is most definitely at the forefront of the agenda. Many lives will be lost in Iraq as will many through abortion.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' date='Jan 8 2006, 05:24 PM']Coming from the stance of someone who doesn't live in the USA, it would seem important to me that democratic elections aren't a single issue affair (i.e. abortion). The Bishops Conference of England and Wales, at the last general election, released a document which showed the various issues at stake, namely those such as social justice, a willingness to welcome asylim seekers, care for the homeless, the Iraq War/foreign policy and abortion.

I think, essentially, a Catholic must be a floating voter and must be astute enough to recognise what will be dealt with in the next session of government. Although abortion is a huge issue, it won't be dealt with soon (in Britain this is the case, at least). However, if you take an issue such as the Iraq War, then you have something which is most definitely at the forefront of the agenda. Many lives will be lost in Iraq as will many through abortion.
[right][snapback]849738[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Josh, welcome to Phatmass.

I understand your position, to an extent. I'm sorry and saddened that the reversal of abortion is no longer a viable political debate within Great Britain. However, in America it is very much an issue at stake. In fact, we are about to witness the ideological lynching of a Catholic judge who has been nominated to serve on our supreme court. This person could very well be the deciding vote in overturning Roe vs. Wade which legalized abortion in all 50 states.

With that said, even if ridding America of the scourge of abortion wasn't a viable political option in the upcoming election cycle, that doesn't mean that we should turn our backs on the unborn and I hope that the fine Catholics in England don't turn their backs on them either and give up the fight.

The abortion issue transcends politics. It is a moral issue and anybody who advocates or excuses the killing of our unborn children has a character flaw and I won't vote for him or her regardless of where they stand on other issues and I don't think I'm alone in thinking this way.

You vote your conscience and I'll vote mine.

Again, welcome.

Michael

p.s.- is the avatar you? If so, are you a Catholic priest?

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jan 8 2006, 04:09 PM']Reagan changed his views on abortion between being Governor of California and becoming President.
[right][snapback]849683[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ah, thank you for clearing that up for me. :)

I'm independent. I've never voted in a primary. There are some issues I'm very conservative in and others that I'm not so conservative in.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 8 2006, 08:41 PM']I'm independent. I've never voted in a primary. There are some issues I'm very conservative in and others that I'm not so conservative in.
[right][snapback]849815[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i strongly urge you to read and listen to Reagan's speach [url="http://millercenter.virginia.edu/scripps/diglibrary/prezspeeches/reagan/rwr_1964_1027.html"] "A Time for Choosing" (October 27, 1964)[/url]
and spend some time reading US documents and signing up for weekly e-mails at the [url="http://patriotpost.us/"]Federalist Patriot online[/url]