An Old School Catholic Message Board

Call to Chastity, post-TOTB

spiritmech

JP2 includes this morsel in "Celibacy for the Kingdom Affirms Marriage":

[quote]At the end of these reflections a concrete problem still remains. In what way is this call formed in man--to whom the call to continence for the sake of the kingdom has been given--on the basis of the knowledge of the nuptial meaning of the body in its masculinity and femininity, and further, as the fruit of such knowledge? In what way is it formed, or rather of the theology of the body, and from the viewpoint of the development of the human personality, which has a personalistic and charismatic character at the same time. If we should want to answer this question exhaustively--in the measure of all the aspects and all the concrete problems that it includes--it would be necessary to make a study based on the relationship between marriage and virginity and between marriage and celibacy. However this would go beyond the limits of the present considerations.[/quote]

So, has anyone developed this idea? The idea of how the vocation to chastity is formed in a person?

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Vocations or what, so I'm putting it here.

sm

I'm confused :idontknow:

I think we're all supposed to live a life of chastity..single, married...religious calling, like priest or nun.

Hm, I'll just be quiet because I don't understand the question... :blush:

[quote name='Carolou' date='Jan 4 2006, 06:12 PM']I'm confused :idontknow:

I think we're all supposed to live a life of chastity..single, married...religious calling, like priest or nun.

Hm, I'll just be quiet because I don't understand the question... :blush:
[right][snapback]845989[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, that's kind of the point JP2 is making. Sorry I didn't mention that.

:)
sm

John Paul is speaking of those "to whom the call to continence for the sake of the kingdom has been given". Continence is the renunciation of marriage and carnal relations for the Kingdom, whereas chastity is the proper exercise of our sexuality, whether we engage in carnal relations or not. I think he is asking how, exactly, celibate (continent) persons are formed in their vocation, in light of the vocation of married persons. Some would set the two at odds, but celibacy is appreciated even more fully when we understand the great good that is masculinity, femininity, and marriage. Celibacy looks past a great temporal good, to embrace an eternal good, in what John Paul II would term an "eschatological witness".

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Era Might' date='Jan 4 2006, 11:31 PM']John Paul is speaking of those "to whom the call to continence for the sake of the kingdom has been given". Continence is the renunciation of marriage and carnal relations for the Kingdom, whereas chastity is the proper exercise of our sexuality, whether we engage in carnal relations or not. [b]I think he is asking how, exactly, celibate (continent) persons are formed in their vocation, in light of the vocation of married persons.[/b] Some would set the two at odds, but celibacy is appreciated even more fully when we understand the great good that is masculinity, femininity, and marriage. Celibacy looks past a great temporal good, to embrace an eternal good, in what John Paul II would term an "eschatological witness".
[right][snapback]846490[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'd like to know that too.

[quote name='scardella' date='Jan 5 2006, 10:14 AM']I'd like to know that too.
[right][snapback]846616[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Would it be helpful to say that celibates should learn more about marriage and vice versa? Since chastity between the two are so related (and interrelated) that you gain one by investigating its opposite?

Or maybe there is a construct that is common to both, that of the covenant between two people. For celibates, between the person and Christ, and for married, between husband and wife?

Interesting stuff.
sm