An Old School Catholic Message Board

Biblical Revelation

TheOliverOrder88

TheOliverOrder88

Now, I have been reading "A Biblical Defense of Catholicism" by Dave Armstrong. And all of this (coming from a Sola Scriptura background) is very surprising and very reassuring.

The caption on the back says it all "...Catholicism is eminetly and thoroughly Biblical. Indeed, Catholicism is the [i]only[/i] Christian religion that is in full conformity with what the Bible says."

My question and topic for debate is could any Church that uses Sola Scriptura as its way of defining doctrine so to be speak come to the same conclusion that 2,000 years of thought has taught us.

Obviously for things such as the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, they could never actually have the real presence...but I think you know what I mean.

In Christ,

[quote name='TheOliverOrder88' date='Jan 3 2006, 06:33 PM']Now, I have been reading "A Biblical Defense of Catholicism" by Dave Armstrong. And all of this (coming from a Sola Scriptura background) is very surprising and very reassuring.

The caption on the back says it all "...Catholicism is eminetly and thoroughly Biblical. Indeed, Catholicism is the [i]only[/i] Christian religion that is in full conformity with what the Bible says."

My question and topic for debate is could any Church that uses Sola Scriptura as its way of defining doctrine so to be speak come to the same conclusion that 2,000 years of thought has taught us.

Obviously for things such as the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, they could never actually have the real presence...but I think you know what I mean.

In Christ,
[right][snapback]845010[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think the Bible and Sola Scriptura are fully compatable. I think that anyone who uses the Bible alone should come to the same conclusions as the Catholics have taught and realize the Authority in the Church in the process.

MilesChristi

[quote name='TheOliverOrder88' date='Jan 3 2006, 09:33 PM']My question and topic for debate is could any Church that uses Sola Scriptura as its way of defining doctrine so to be speak come to the same conclusion that 2,000 years of thought has taught us.
[right][snapback]845010[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, I don't think so. The Catholic deposit of faith, handed down through the centuries, is composed of Sacred Scripture and Tradition. Since "sola scriptura" denominations reject the concept of Tradition (even though sola scriptura itself is a man-made tradition), they would be unlikely to end up with the same conclusions as Catholicism, though they might come close in many ways.