An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bastard Child

catholicinsd

catholicinsd

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jan 2 2006, 09:55 PM']Older social conventions, as well as civil and canon law prohibited bastards from doing certain things, including holding certain offices.

But it was possible for a bastard to be "legitimized". As once remarked before this was one of the rights that Knights of the Holy Sepulchre enjoyed. I've always wanted to become a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre so I could legitimize bastards (among other things, such as ride a horse in church).
[right][snapback]843850[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

As far as I know I can do anything but join Opus Dei.

Myles Domini

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Jan 3 2006, 02:24 AM']Hey, I'm bastard child, meaning my mom & dad weren't married when I was born. It's not a bad thing, I'm no longer ashamed; neither should you- Jesus was also a bastard. I wanna hear from my fellow bastards. We rock.
[right][snapback]843823[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey there. I was concieved outside of wedlock also. I love my Mum to death and she's the only parent I've ever known. I was never really ashamed of the circumstances of my birth but I cannot agree with you that its not a bad thing. I will not take insults towards my Mum lightly--if at all--nonetheless I cant say my manner of conception was right.

Thats not a judgement upon my Mum (being a thoroughbreed transgressor I couldnt take to pull the splint out of her eye whilst I'm carrying the amazon in my eyelids). Nonetheless, to say we are without sin is to call God a liar as the beloved disciple says. If God says something is a sin then its a sin.

I'm not embarrased of my mother, I love her, and I think she's a great Mum too (the best actually ^_^ ). People make mistakes (I know that fact better than most I fancy being such a sinner) and thats nothing to be ashamed of. After all shame does not cause conversion, acts of the will do that and they can be accompanied by no profound emotions at all. However, just because I love her that doesn't mean I can rubber stamp her misdemenours. Likewise, just because I love myself that doesn't mean that when I fall into fits of temper or act selfishly that I can simply gloss over my actions. Thats just not how it works and for good reason...

...for by our sins we know the love of God. O felix culpa! Amongst men it is difficult to find someone who you can be horrible to almost continually from birth to death who will love you inspite of that fact. Yet, with God with whom we have a relationship like a man and his wife (Ep 5) there is never any refusal to forgive. Though through our sins we make ourselves the daughter of the chaldeans and the whore of babylon, like Hosea did to His wife God comes after us and not just once, twice or thrice but an innumerable number of times.

He who needs nothing and who is absolutely and utterly beyond any [i]thing[/i] indeed took on the nature of a low thing, a servant, unto death, death on a cross (Philipians 2:5-7) so that we sinners might again be called children of God (Jn 1:14) through the indwelling of God in our souls (Jn 14:18-20) making us partakers in the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4) and no matter how many times we reject our inheritance through sin He persues us, madly until He finds us again (2 Tim 2:13) drawing us back into His home with great rejoicing (Luke 15 all inclusive ;) ). Such love, such unconditional and dependable love is unknown to man even in his deepest relationships and only God can teach him love and give him the grace to truly love (1 Cor 13) and thus it is proved that God only allows evil that He might draw from it greater good: A deeper realisation of how much He loves us.

Does that mean we should sin so that grace can abound? By no means! Read Romans 6. However, what it does mean is that when we do sin we should not spend our time wallowing in self-pity and shame and indeed the very appreance of shame is unsettling. For shame is the offspring of that unforgiveable and principle evil: pride. You're only ashamed if you feel your pride, your self, has been taken down a notch or two. Pride drowns the individual in shame and pride refuses to accept sin and open itself to the Love of God accordingly. Hence, shame and pride become obstacles to the Kingdom of God being born within you. God loves my Mum and me not cos we are without sin but inspite of those sins for whilst we were still sinners He died for us.

I love my Jesus, I love my Mummy, and I love myself. I haven't the time for shame it would cloud the vision of Christ's forgiving face too much. When we accept our sins O how loved we feel... :sign:

Deo Gracias! :notworthy:

[quote]0: To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.
1: Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy steadfast love; according to thy abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.
2: Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!
3: For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.
4: Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in thy sight, so that thou art justified in thy sentence and blameless in thy judgment.
5: [b]Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.[/b]
6: Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
7: Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8: Fill me with joy and gladness; let the bones which thou hast broken rejoice.
9: Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.
10: [b]Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. [/b]
11: [b]Cast me not away from thy presence, and take not thy holy Spirit from me. [/b]
12: Restore to me the joy of thy salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.
13: Then I will teach transgressors thy ways, and sinners will return to thee.
14: Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of thy deliverance.
15: O Lord, open thou my lips, and my mouth shall show forth thy praise.
16: For thou hast no delight in sacrifice; were I to give a burnt offering, thou wouldst not be pleased.
17: [b]The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.[/b]
18: Do good to Zion in thy good pleasure; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem,
19: then wilt thou delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on thy altar.
[/quote]

INXC
Myles

PS) My spiritual directors have been priests of Opus Dei and they've never said anything about membership issues. Cam would know best though.

Edited by Myles

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Jan 2 2006, 09:05 PM']As far as I know I can do anything but join Opus Dei.
[right][snapback]843867[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You could get a dispensation I'm sure, if you really felt called to join Opus Dei (assuming that's true in the first place). Or just ambush a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre at the march for life or something.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Rick777' date='Jan 2 2006, 08:59 PM']lol, I think love child is the most popular, Ive never heard of this term.
[right][snapback]843856[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I prefer the word bastard. I've always wanted a bastard-sword.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Bastard_sword.jpeg[/img]

catholicinsd

[quote name='Myles' date='Jan 2 2006, 10:08 PM']Hey there. I was concieved outside of wedlock also. I love my Mum to death and she's the only parent I've ever known. I was never really ashamed of the circumstances of my birth but I cannot agree with you that its not a bad thing. I will not take insults towards my Mum lightly--if at all--nonetheless I cant say my manner of conception was right.

Thats not a judgement upon my Mum being a thoroughbreed transgressor I couldnt take to pull the splint out of her eye whilst I'm carrying the amazon in my eyelids. Nonetheless, to say we are without sin is to call God a liar as the beloved disciple says. If God says something is a sin then its a sin.

I'm not embarrased of my mother, I love her, and I think she's a great Mum too (the best actually  ^_^ ). People make mistakes (I know that fact better than most I fancy being such a sinner) and thats nothing to be ashamed of. After all shame does not cause conversion, acts of the will do that and they can be accompanied by no profound emotions at all. However, just because I love her that doesn't mean I can rubber stamp her misdemenours. Likewise, just because I love myself that doesn't mean that when I fall into fits of temper or act selfishly that I can simply gloss over my actions. Thats just not how it works and for good reason...

...for by our sins we know the love of God. O felix culpa! Amongst men it is difficult to find someone who you can be horrible to almost continually from birth to death who will love you inspite of that fact. Yet, with God with whom we have a relationship like a man and his wife (Ep 5) there is never any refusal to forgive. Though through our sins we make ourselves the daughter of the chaldeans and the whore of babylon, like Hosea did to His wife God comes after us and not just one, twice or thrice but an innumerable number of times.

He who needs nothing and who is absolutely and utterly beyond any [i]thing[/i] indeed took on the nature of a low thing, a servant, unto death, death on a cross (Philipians 2:5-7) so that we sinners might again be called children of God (Jn 1:14) through the indwelling of God in our souls (Jn 14:18-20) making us partakers in the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4) and no matter how many times we reject our inheritance through sin He persues us, madly until He finds us again (2 Tim 2:13) drawing us back into His home with great rejoicing (Luke 15 all inclusive  ;) ). Such love, such unconditional and dependable love is unknown to man even in his deepest relationships and only God can teach him love and give him the grace to truly love (1 Cor 13) and thus it is proved that God only allows evil that He might draw from it greater good: A deeper realisation of how much He loves us.

Does that mean we should sin so that grace can abound? By no means! Read Romans 6. However, what it does mean is that when we do sin we should not spend our time wallowing in self-pity and shame and indeed the very appreance of shame is unsettling. For shame is the offspring of that unforgiveable and principle evil: pride. You're only ashamed if you feel your pride, your self, has been taken down a notch or two. Pride drowns the individual in shame and pride refuses to accept sin and open itself to the Love of God accordingly. Hence, shame and pride become obstacles to the Kingdom of God being born within you. God loves my Mum and me not cos we are without sin but inspite of those sins for whilst we were still sinners He died for us.

I love my Jesus, I love my Mummy, and I love myself. I haven't the time for shame it would cloud the vision of Christ's forgiving face too much. When we accept our sins O how loved we feel... :sign:

Deo Gracias! :notworthy:
INXC
Myles

PS) My spiritual directors have been priests of Opus Dei and they've never said anything about membership issues. Cam would know best though.
[right][snapback]843871[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's how I feel also. Now we can add another name to the list

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jan 2 2006, 09:11 PM']Or just ambush a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre at the march for life or something.
[right][snapback]843875[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Be on the lookout for these dudes:

[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/fangorn35/knightsoftheholysepulchre.jpg[/img]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 2 2006, 09:18 PM']are they ordained priests? are they brothers? or just laypersons?
[right][snapback]843885[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Its a lay order of knights that goes back to the middle ages. I like this pic:

[img]http://www.khs.org.uk/images/khsmasssm.JPG[/img]

catholicinsd

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 2 2006, 10:18 PM']are they ordained priests? are they brothers? or just laypersons?
[right][snapback]843885[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And can "love" children join?