An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bastard Child

catholicinsd

catholicinsd

Hey, I'm bastard child, meaning my mom & dad weren't married when I was born. It's not a bad thing, I'm no longer ashamed; neither should you- Jesus was also a bastard. I wanna hear from my fellow bastards. We rock.

Laudate_Dominum

wtfreek. :rolling:

btw, Jesus wasn't a bastard because Mary was consecrated to God, she was the spouse of the Holy Spirit and all that. :P:

catholicinsd

Everybody thought He was tough- that's kinda why Joseph wanted a divorce, and having Jesus a has a bastard child really helps the pro-life movement alot.

BTW, Don't tease the bastards. I may have accepted the circimstances of my conception, but that doesn't I enjoy being teased about it.

MilesChristi

Mary and Joseph were married before Jesus was born.

18: Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit;
19: and her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly.
20: But as he considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, [b]do not fear to take Mary your wife[/b], for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit;
21: she will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins."
22: All this took place to fulfil what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:
23: "Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel" (which means, God with us).
24: [b]When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took his wife[/b],
25: but knew her not until she had borne a son; and he called his name Jesus.

Mt 1:18-35

Laudate_Dominum

oh, and from another angle, Joseph and Mary were betrothed when Jesus was conceived and married when He was born.
Even if He had been born during the betrothal He would not technically be considered a bastard.

Guest Rick777

I have never heard of the term, b****** child, but I have heard of love child. I'm not gonna act like I wasn't offended by someone calling Jesus that. :o

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Jan 2 2006, 10:33 PM']Everybody thought He was tough- that's kinda why Joseph wanted a divorce, and having Jesus a has a bastard child really helps the pro-life movement alot.

BTW, Don't tease the bastards. I may have accepted the circimstances of my conception, but that doesn't I enjoy being teased about it.
[right][snapback]843829[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You're kidding right, Brandon. Jesus was not a bastard. And you are asserting an interesting paradox. Don't make fun of me because I am a bastard, but it is ok, because everyone thought Jesus was.

Ah, the joys of being 16. I can't wait until you figure it out. Hang out for awhile and maybe you'll get it.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Jan 2 2006, 08:33 PM']Everybody thought He was tough- that's kinda why Joseph wanted a divorce, and having Jesus a has a bastard child really helps the pro-life movement alot.

[right][snapback]843829[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm not teasing anyone about being a bastard, I just think the word bastard is funny.

Oh, and just because saying Jesus was a bastard might be cool for some reason doesn't mean that its true. In fact it's simply false.

And don't get me wrong, I think bastards are cool, I sometimes wish I was really a bastard (I consider myself something of a bastard at heart). I give props to bastards everywhere. :woot:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Rick777' date='Jan 2 2006, 08:37 PM']I have never heard of the term, b****** child, but I have heard of love child. I'm not gonna act like I wasn't offended by someone calling Jesus that. :o
[right][snapback]843832[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
amen.. Jesus was not a bastard. :annoyed:

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

its a bit insulting to call Christ a bastard child. i don't know but bastard children used not to be able to become priests and maybe they still can't and jesus is the high priest.

catholicinsd

Ok. nevermind Jesus really wasn't one. But there still some really cool bastards. Like me, and King William the Conqeror. And being one makes you cool.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Rick777' date='Jan 2 2006, 08:48 PM']Men born out of wedlock can become priests, or whatever they want......they cant help it.
[right][snapback]843845[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Older social conventions, as well as civil and canon law prohibited bastards from doing certain things, including holding certain offices.

But it was possible for a bastard to be "legitimized". As once remarked before this was one of the rights that Knights of the Holy Sepulchre enjoyed. I've always wanted to become a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre so I could legitimize bastards (among other things, such as ride a horse in church).

Thy Geekdom Come

I don't have any problem with "bastard" children (I don't like the term, just because the connotation has strayed from the technical definition).

However, Jesus was not a bastard child.