An Old School Catholic Message Board

Televised Masses

zunshynn

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Jan 1 2006, 08:46 PM']"I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request"

:rolling:
[right][snapback]842527[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

lol...that is POTC :smokey:

I don't think that watching televised Masses is the same thing as being there in person. I think it could be okay for those sick or old people who cannot get out of their homes. However, there still should be priests who visit them on regular basis for confession and communion.

However, I tend to watch televised masses (when that ever happens cos it is quite rare) as an extra activity. Somtimes I just like listening to the homily and get a different perspective of the day's Gospel but these masses should NOT replace the real live ones unless it is a health issue. That is just my opinion though.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='856594' date='Jan 15 2006, 09:50 AM']televised Masses dont fufill Sunday and Holyday obligation. One must be in the physical presenct of the Sacrifice. If one misses the Consecration no obligation is fufilled, even if you heard the rest of the Mass. I dont like TV Masses all that much becasue I think the TLM is far superior to any NO[/quote]
:rolleyes:

I like televised Masses--much better than most of the other stuff that's on during the day. (If I ever get billions of dollars, I'm going to start a 24/7 Mass channel.)

Vincent Vega

Question - should you cross yourself when the priest gives his blessing at the end of the mass?
I mean, when he gives the blessing, does it carry over to the viewers at home? Or not?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1905736' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:54 PM']I don't think the blessing would carry over the airwaves--but I don't see any harm in crossing oneself.[/quote]
Yeah, I didn't think so either, and I figured as much.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1905732' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:51 PM']Question - should you cross yourself when the priest gives his blessing at the end of the mass?
I mean, when he gives the blessing, does it carry over to the viewers at home? Or not?[/quote]

When one watches the Pope's Urbi et Orbi blessing on television he receives the blessing.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1905759' date='Jun 29 2009, 10:19 PM']When one watches the Pope's Urbi et Orbi blessing on television he receives the blessing.[/quote]
Seriously? Interesting.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1905774' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:27 PM']Seriously? Interesting.[/quote]

That is what the Cardinal who announces that the Pope is about to give the blessing always says.

dominicansoul

i think reverence is due, whether you are "present" at Mass physically, or by watching on television, listening by radio, etc.

When Pope Benny came to the U.S.A. last year, I had EWTN streaming on my computer at work. When it came time for the Mass, I turned it off. I couldn't give my full attention to the Mass while at work, and didn't feel it was reverent to keep it on as "background noise."

When I was unable to attend mass, I always watched on TV or listened on the radio. And yes, I crossed myself, and sang along with the songs.

I have no problem doing other things while watching the Mass on TV. The Mass is not actually present where one is. One can receive the blessing at the end of Mass, however.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1905798' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:40 PM']I have no problem doing other things while watching the Mass on TV.[/quote]

not me. i feel if I'm witnessing it Live, I'm "there." It transcends space...

we receive the blessing just as if we were physically present there... and receiving the Lord spritually is a pretty awesome exercise to do when watching or listening to Mass live via t.v. or radio...

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1905798' date='Jun 29 2009, 11:40 PM']I have no problem doing other things while watching the Mass on TV. The Mass is not actually present where one is. One can receive the blessing at the end of Mass, however.[/quote]
Thats cheating :)
So you are too busy to watch the Mass, but you can recieve the blessing? Don't you think it would be better to either pay attention or turn it off?

Wow... OLD topic! :lol:

Interesting, though, because I did find out a few things on the subject while I was at OLAM.

Fr. Anthony explained once (at one of the Birmingham conferences, I believe) that the blessing does apply to viewers on television, as long as it's live. So not with re-runs, although there probably is still no harm in crossing oneself... He did cite a document that stated this, but I don't know where it is.

At OLAM, whenever we would watch televised masses, the sisters would kneel in silence during the moment of consecration until the Mysterium Fidei (at least if it was live... I don't remember what we did if it was a re-run. The rest of the time I would say we were attentive, for the most part, but given that it is not actually being at Mass in the presence of the Lord, it was somewhat relaxed. But they're was a sense of... even though you're not in the presence of the Lord... You are really watching the mass take place... I know for myself, I always felt a connection... like how Pope John Paul II referred to every mass being a mass at the Altar of the World.... sorry for not making sense..

We didn't watch that many... mostly papal masses and masses by the FSSP and the Heralds of the Gospel. And the sisters take turns sitting with Rev. Mother during the morning mass, and watch the one in Irondale with her. When I was with her for mass I always stood for the Gospel... I think pretty much everyone always made the sign of the cross... When we watched Life on the Rock or another live show occasionally, we would kneel for that too...

I have to admit I rarely liked watching papal masses... it always made me sad to see so much... I don't know... irreverence, compared to what I was used to at OLAM. I can only imagine how Papa Benedict must feel to see that so much. I do like watching the televised extraordinary form masses tremendously.

EDIT ***Just to point out, those are just the way we did things at OLAM...It's not like one MUST do that.

Edited by zunshynn