An Old School Catholic Message Board

Televised Masses

zunshynn

Well, I posted this in the Q & A but our scholars seem disinclined to respond to me, so, what do you think?

[quote]This might be kind of a dumb question, but how should one watch televised masses?

I'm always hesitant to watch them, because I feel like I should be as reverent as I would if I went to a regular mass, and usually when I watch TV I'm getting and doing other things too... and I feel like that is perhaps that is disrespectful.

But then I also feel guilty changing the channel to something else

By the way, I'm not talking about trying to fulfill a holy day of obligation with a televised mass. I know that if possible, we're required to actually be in the presence of a mass. I'm just talking about a regular daily mass on EWTN, or other masses in addition to attending one.

So how reverent should you be?[/quote]

Myles Domini

I see myself making a spiritual communion and acting via the communion of saints to participate in the Sacred Liturgy and thus I try to take it quite seriously. I say try because at home often this can be difficult given distractions e.g. noise and my own lack of concentration. But my approach is not casual, so to speak.

Laudate_Dominum

"I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request"

:rolling:

just kidding, the truth is, I didn't notice it.. I never go past page one when I check the QA.. sorry :(

Laudate_Dominum

gosh. I guess it's near the top of page one.. sorry.. well, actually sometimes it takes a bit to answer certain questions.. I'm going to be even worse because I start a new job tomorrow.. I might hardly be on phatmass at all.

but I don't take all the blame since Cam, phatty, Theoketos, Pio, cappie, et cetera.. are also charged with QA duties. :D:

:tomato:

LAME SCHOLARS!

:lol: I'm not serious.

I wasn't sure if it really fit there anyway. I somehow wasn't expecting too many church documents floating around addressing how the faithful should watch TV...

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

I do not watch televised masses. If i do, im really not all that revernt, and thats why i don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the funeral Mass for Pope John Paul II, and also the Closing Mass of World Youth Day. I think they are great to watch if you can't get to daily Mass.

KnightofChrist

For those who do like to watch mass on TV or can not go to True Holy Mass, or can not get EWTN from your cable/sat. company...

EWTN at www.ewtn.com streams online Holy Mass everyday at 8am, 12pm, and 12am. EWTN also streams many good Catholic programs 24/7. Check it OUT!

televised Masses dont fufill Sunday and Holyday obligation. One must be in the physical presenct of the Sacrifice. If one misses the Consecration no obligation is fufilled, even if you heard the rest of the Mass. I dont like TV Masses all that much becasue I think the TLM is far superior to any NO