An Old School Catholic Message Board

do protestants understand salvation to the fullest

infinitelord1

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jan 4 2006, 12:34 PM']Perhaps it is coming down to the words we use then (typically I think this is the case). If we misunderstand words, we may misunderstand what God is calling us to.

Faith saves because of what faith is. Real faith is not comprised of a single prayer of belief in Christ as the Savior (Fundamental Protestantism). Faith in Christ comprises of trust in all Christ did and taught, and therefore in obedience to Him and to those whom He gave authority to. Faith is saving when faith is obedient (Romans 1:5). If we are to believe in the Son of God and have faith in Him, then we will be obedient to Him. Faith is proved, and we are justified, as Abraham was justified by faith - whether or not we are obedient to God by cooperating with the grace of God through our faith. Salvation is not by "faith alone" (heretical Protestantism) or by "faith + works" (heretical Pelagianism/Semi-Pelagianism), salvation rather is how the Bible says - covenantal, and as such is outside being confined to formula.

I'll stop there so I don't get too long winded.

Blessings,
Adam
[right][snapback]845698[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I definitely agree. Your explanation was much more well-put, however. Thank you.