An Old School Catholic Message Board

Facing East during the Mass

Myles Domini

[quote name='Myles' date='Dec 26 2005, 11:40 PM']morever the Roman Missal assumes that the priest will face East whilst saying Mass.
[/quote]
This is interesting. Can you cite examples? Is it a specific directive to face east or is it something more subtle such as telling the priest to turn toward the people at certain times as he does in the Tridentine?

Thanks.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 8 2006, 12:47 PM']Are you in the DFW metroplex?
[right][snapback]849500[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No, near Huntsville. I used to live in Duncanville though, one of my children was born in Arlington.

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Jan 8 2006, 11:47 AM']I just checked too.  That's 9 hours for me.  I love Texas but sometimes it's just to big.  :shock:
[right][snapback]849499[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol: Yeah im a bit too far away from Dust and everyone else. I'm closer to mexico. It's a pretty big state.

[quote name='Akalyte' date='Jan 8 2006, 04:34 PM']:lol:  Yeah im a bit too far away from Dust and everyone else. I'm closer to mexico. It's a pretty big state.
[right][snapback]849701[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Closer to Mexico? Heck, you're practically IN Mexico.

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Jan 8 2006, 03:47 PM']Closer to Mexico?  Heck, you're practically IN Mexico.
[right][snapback]849715[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

yeah that would be more accurate... :lol:

after reading this thread I took note of where the Church faces, and my Church (its pretty old traditional, long hall style Church) and it does and the people do face east! But now with the Priest turned around I guess he faces west...

Myles Domini

[quote name='Era Might' date='Jan 8 2006, 02:34 PM']The orientation "Ad Populum" is not unknown in Roman history:
[right][snapback]849383[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Josef Jungmann, Klaus Gamber and Louis Bouyer disagree with the table argument. Citing that ancient tables for such ceremonies were convex hence the priest and people must've faced the same direction regardless.

Myles Domini

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Jan 8 2006, 05:52 PM']This is interesting.  Can you cite examples?  Is it a specific directive to face east or is it something more subtle such as telling the priest to turn toward the people at certain times as he does in the Tridentine?

Thanks.
[right][snapback]849506[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yup at several times during the liturgy the directive says 'turn to face the people'. I havent been to a Pauline Mass facing East for awhile so I cant remember of the top of my head at which points he does so. Although I think I can distinctly remember him doing so at the start of the Our Father. Get Camster here, he knows this stuff better than most.

[quote]158. After this, standing and turned toward the altar, the priest says quietly, Corpus Christi custodiat me in vitam aeternam (May the Body of Christ bring me to everlasting life) and reverently receives the Body of Christ. Then he takes the chalice, saying quietly, Sanguis Christi custodiat me in vitam aeternam (May the Blood of Christ bring me to everlasting life), and reverently receives the Blood of Christ.[/quote]

[quote]181. After the priest has said the prayer at the Rite of Peace and the greeting Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum (The peace of the Lord be with you always) and the people have responded, Et cum spiritu tuo (And also with you), the deacon, if it is appropriate, invites all to exchange the sign of peace. He faces the people and, with hands joined, says, Offerte vobis pacem pacem (Let us offer each other the sign of peace). Then he himself receives the sign of peace from the priest and may offer it to those other ministers who are closer to him.[/quote]

Myles Domini

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Jan 9 2006, 05:53 AM'][right][snapback]850090[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why cant I quote your post q? Well thanks for the evidence ;)

Edited by Myles

[quote name='Myles' date='Jan 9 2006, 01:33 AM']Josef Jungmann, Klaus Gamber and Louis Bouyer disagree with the table argument. Citing that ancient tables for such ceremonies were convex hence the priest and people must've faced the same direction regardless.
[right][snapback]850085[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Father Cabral's point is indisputable at least in one case: the Church of San Clemente, which he references. This was written in 1934, so even then, there was at least one case of an Ad Populum orientation, and this with the Tridentine Liturgy.

While I do prefer an Ad Orientem position, I'm not too bothered by Ad Populum, except when it becomes an opportunity for entertainment (or, in the case of the Ad Orientem, when it becomes an opportunity for the Priest to do his own thing, as if the congregation were not even present).

Immediately after the Council, a crucifix was placed on the altar, so that the Priest faced it while he celebrated Mass, rather than the congregation itself. I believe then-Cardinal Ratzinger proposed this alternative, so as not to make yet another drastic change in the Liturgy, which the laity might not understand.

Edited by Era Might

San Clemente's a little older than the Tridentine Mass.

However, I think that they also made it face East (just like all the other major Basilicas in Rome) and the people would turn around during the Eucharistic prayer.

This is in a place without pews, which we now have. :)

Laudate_Dominum

check it out:

[url="http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/"]http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/[/url]