An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Mormons Christians?

photosynthesis

St. Catherine

It is the JW's that believe in the 144,000 thing, not the Mormons.

The Mormon baptism is in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. It is because of their understanding of the Trinity relationship that make the baptism invalid.

Mormons have levels of heaven, yes... If I recall they are Celestial, Cerestrial, Terestrial.... or something similar to that.

They do believe in Jesus Christ...just not in the same way as the rest of us do.

PS... I am a former Mormon.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 27 2005, 01:56 PM']You do have to give both of them credit for being very earnest in their beliefs, and for zeal in evangelization. I've gotten hit up by both Mormons and JW's ... if I were a better Christian, I'd actually engage them and try to do some cross-evangelization. But I just say I'm not interested.
[right][snapback]836919[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wouldn't get into a debate with them unless you were an expert. They're beliefs are so outrageous and they're very good at making faulty logic seem correct.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='St. Catherine' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:01 PM']PS... I am a former Mormon.
[right][snapback]836925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Welcome home.

photosynthesis

[quote name='St. Catherine' date='Dec 27 2005, 03:01 PM']It is the JW's that believe in the 144,000 thing, not the Mormons.

The Mormon baptism is in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  It is because of their understanding of the Trinity relationship that make the baptism invalid.   

Mormons have levels of heaven, yes... If I recall they are Celestial, Cerestrial, Terestrial.... or something similar to that.

They do believe in Jesus Christ...just not in the same way as the rest of us do.

PS... I am a former Mormon.
[right][snapback]836925[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Welcome home!

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 28 2005, 06:29 AM']Baptism is the means of becoming a Christian, so if someone were not baptised, then I wouldn't think of that person as Christian.
[right][snapback]836903[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH

RESPONSE TO A 'DUBIUM'
on the validity of baptism conferred by
«The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints»,
called «Mormons»

[i]Question: Wheter the baptism conferred by the community «The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints», called «Mormons» in the vernacular, is valid[/i].

[b]Response: Negative.[/b]

The Supreme Pontiff John Paul II, in the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, approved the present Response, decided in the Sessione Ordinaria of this Congregation, and ordered it published.

From the Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 5 June 2001.

+ Joseph Cardinal RATZINGER

Prefect

+ Tarcisio BERTONE, S.D.B.
Archbishop emeritus of Vercelli
Secretary

[quote name='cappie' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:13 PM']CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH

RESPONSE TO A 'DUBIUM'
on the validity of baptism conferred by
«The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints»,
called «Mormons»

[i]Question: Wheter the baptism conferred by the community «The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints», called «Mormons» in the vernacular, is valid[/i].

[b]Response: Negative.[/b]

The Supreme Pontiff John Paul II, in the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, approved the present Response, decided in the Sessione Ordinaria of this Congregation, and ordered it published.

From the Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 5 June 2001.

+ Joseph Cardinal RATZINGER

Prefect
  + Tarcisio BERTONE, S.D.B.
Archbishop emeritus of Vercelli
Secretary
[right][snapback]836944[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Seems they are the extreme 'other end' of Protestantism, falling right off the edge with JW's and 7th Day Adventists.

Isn't it Don John who the Mormon's fear on this board? lol.

I dialogued with a Mormon before I became Catholic, some of the beliefs can get very bizarre. For instance, Jesus was NOT born of a virgin - but God was the father....

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Dec 27 2005, 01:32 PM']I dialogued with a Mormon before I became Catholic, some of the beliefs can get very bizarre. For instance, Jesus was NOT born of a virgin - but God was the father....
[right][snapback]836960[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Oh, yeah, I remember that one... :wacko: