An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Mormons Christians?

photosynthesis

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 27 2005, 11:28 AM']I don't know about Mormons, but Jehovah's Witnesses believe that only 144,000 will go to heaven.
[right][snapback]836853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why is this starting to remind me of Coneheads again?

photosynthesis

[quote name='scardella' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:42 AM']They also claim that if you're a good mormon, you wind up becoming a god of some other planet that you rule over... They also claim that God is not universal, just the god of this planet...
[right][snapback]836780[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
sounds like the Raelians!

[quote name='scardella' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:09 PM']Why is this starting to remind me of Coneheads again?
[right][snapback]836878[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Some religious beliefs are just easy fodder for comedians ...

lifescanticle

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 27 2005, 12:57 AM']so mormons are materially Christians because they come from the samemovement?  But they don't have valid Baptism so they are not true Christians?
[right][snapback]836706[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Educate me. If an individual is not baptised or is baptised with a non valid method and believes that Jesus Christ is God, the second member of the Trinity is he then refered to as a non-baptised christian? What I am really interested in is the nomenclature.
Thanks

Ash Wednesday

I don't think Mormons are recognized in the Church as "separated brethren" -- that is to say, Christians. We recognize, for example, an Anglican or Methodist baptism, but do not recognize Mormon ones.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 27 2005, 12:28 PM']I don't know about Mormons, but Jehovah's Witnesses believe that only 144,000 will go to heaven.
[right][snapback]836853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Which is odd, since there are more than 144,000 of them and I [i][b]think[/b][/i] they also hold that being a JW guarantees salvation.

photosynthesis

Baptism is the means of becoming a Christian, so if someone were not baptised, then I wouldn't think of that person as Christian.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:28 PM']Which is odd, since there are more than 144,000 of them and I [i][b]think[/b][/i] they also hold that being a JW guarantees salvation.
[right][snapback]836900[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm not all that familiar with the teachings, but I think there are levels of salvation ... some get into heaven (the 144,000) but everyone else, while not eternally damned, is still somehow saved.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:43 PM']I'm not all that familiar with the teachings, but I think there are levels of salvation ... some get into heaven (the 144,000) but everyone else, while not eternally damned, is still somehow saved.
[right][snapback]836907[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think they believe Earth will be turned into a sort of paradise and that those who don't make it into heaven are still saved and will live on this paradise. Those who aren't saved don't go to hell but just stay dead.

:idontknow:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 27 2005, 01:43 PM']I'm not all that familiar with the teachings, but I think there are levels of salvation ... some get into heaven (the 144,000) but everyone else, while not eternally damned, is still somehow saved.
[right][snapback]836907[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I seem to recall that they teach that those who would go to hell just cease to exist.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Carrie' date='Dec 27 2005, 01:48 PM']I don't think they believe in hell.
[right][snapback]836913[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I edited.

You do have to give both of them credit for being very earnest in their beliefs, and for zeal in evangelization. I've gotten hit up by both Mormons and JW's ... if I were a better Christian, I'd actually engage them and try to do some cross-evangelization. But I just say I'm not interested.

son_of_angels

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 27 2005, 09:18 AM']If you were a member of the proper level, you could buy some [url="http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=100163&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=100139&bcname=Mens%20Bottoms%20(For%20Members%20Only)&top=Y&resetCat=N&initBC=Y&level=2&replBC=subcatlist100139"]here.[/url]

As you're not, the idea (which I've heard confirmed from friends who were Mormons at one time) is that the underwear is sacred, offering some form of protection to the wearer. It has symbols sewn on it (some of which I've heard from various sources are Masonic).
[right][snapback]836810[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sounds a bit like a scapular....