An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holding hands during the Our Father

Cathurian

I went to Mass. People beside me tried to hold my hand. I held it. I knew I'd read here that you are NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT, it was a liturgical abuse or something, and I did it anyway.

I didn't receive the Eucharist, because I thought that was probably a mortal sin.

Is it a mortal sin to hold hands during the Our Father? I know you're not supposed to do it.

Oh. I thought it was really, seriously wrong, and you were adding to the Mass (a huge no-no) if you did it.

Well at least I can receive Communion :)

Remember that a mortal sin must be done with full knowledge and will as well as be of grave matter. None of that applies in your case. I can hold my wife's hand at almost any time during mass and it would not just less then sinful but actually a good. :)

As to the licitness of the entire congregation doing it, no one should be forced into doing so, and it is not a necessary part of the mass.

[quote]As to the licitness of the entire congregation doing it, no one should be forced into doing so, and it is not a necessary part of the mass.[/quote]

Not simply uneccessary but uneeded also. It creates a horizontal dimension at a time where a vertical one is required.

INXC
Myles

[quote name='Myles' date='Dec 25 2005, 01:05 PM']Not simply uneccessary but uneeded also. It creates a horizontal dimension at a time where a vertical one is required.

[right][snapback]835823[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Seriously asking, does the horizontal dimension negate necessarily the vertical?

photosynthesis

I don't like holding hands because I don't like being touched... but I don't think it's a sin for other people to do it as long as they don't force me. I hate it when people grab my hand.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 25 2005, 08:07 PM']I think that it can sometimes (oftentimes?) cause the other to be completely overlooked and ignored.
[right][snapback]835853[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Agreed

INXC
Myles

Here's an article on EWTN.com

I'm still looking for Notitiae 11, but I've seen it quoted in about three or four places now, so I know this is accurate:

[quote]Posture during the Lord's Prayer
Question from Michele M. Tamurian on 11/2/2005: 

Each time I attend Holy Mass with my sisters,who belong to other parishes nearby, they hold hands during the Lord's Prayer and raise them when we sing "For Thine Is the Kingdom....etc." I took a liturgy class and our instructor, who is a priest, told us that holding hands during the Lord's Prayer is unacceptable. My usual posture is with my hands folded pointed toward heaven and bowing at the part of "For Thine is the Kingdom... My sisters become offended that I will not participate in their handholding, but I was told this is not the desired practice of the Church. Blessings, Michele
Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 11/15/2005:

You are right and they are wrong. If they take offense they do so unjustly.

Here is what the Holy See said in 1975:

QUERY: In some places there is a current practice whereby those taking part in the Mass replace the giving of the sign of peace at the deacon's invitation by holding hands during the singing of the Lord's Prayer. Is this acceptable?

REPLY: The prolonged holding of hands is of itself a sign of communion rather than of peace. Further, it is a liturgical gesture introduced spontaneously but on personal initiative; it is not in the rubrics. Nor is there any clear explanation of why the sign of peace at the invitation: "Let us offer each other the sign of peace" should be supplanted in order to bring a different gesture with less meaning into another part of the Mass: the sign of peace is filled with meaning, graciousness, and Christian inspiration. Any substitution for it must be repudiated: Notitiae 11 (1975) 226. [Notitiae is the journal of the Congregation in which its official interpretations of the rubrics are published.]

This addresses the sign of peace, but note the 2 general liturgical/theological principles upon which the answer is based, and which applies anywhere in the Mass, including the Our Father.

1) It is an inappropriate "sign." Communion is the sign of intimacy in the Mass, thus, a gesture of intimacy introduced at a different time upsets the sacramental sign system of the Mass.

2) It is introduced on personal initiative. The Holy See has authority over the liturgy according to Vatican II's "Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy" #22 and canon 838 of the Code of Canon Law.[/quote]