An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communism and Liberalism

Akalyte

[quote name='Tata126' date='Jan 8 2006, 04:19 PM']Did you not read my qualifier, that feminism has gotten really messed up in recent history???

Jesus was a radical for his time with regards to the treatment of women.  In Jewish culture at the time of Jesus, women had no rights, and were not considered to be human beings equal to men.  That's why it was such a big deal for Jesus to talk to the woman at the well - not only was she a woman, but she was a Samaritan.  Which brings up another interesting point about multiculturalism.  Which political party is all for immigration, and which is not, hmm?

And you really ought to read some 19th century feminism and anti-feminism tracts if you want to be convinced that conservatives have not always considered women to have equal dignity with men.

That said, I AM NOT A LIBERAL.  But I guess I'm more liberal than you, because I know that liberals have intelligence and have made some good things happen, even though they're also known for some pretty rotten stuff nowadays.
[right][snapback]849736[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Treating women with dignity is really not a liberal/conservative issue. Talking to the woman at the well was a far cry from political activism.

And your point about immigration and multiculturalism is a complete non-sequitor. I do not recall Jesus saying anything in Scripture regarding immigration policy.
Jesus may have treated the Samaritan with dignity, but this does not necessarily mean he would have called for a policy which would allow Samaritans to flood unchecked into Judea (or something similar).
It is a common misconception that calling for any limitation or checks on immigration is rooted entirely on xenophobia and hatred. There are other reasons for this, and it is an issue on which Catholics can legitimately disagree.
In fact, the most adament opponents of unrestricted immigration I have read are devout Catholics.
Pope John Paul II I believe has spoken against excessive immigration on general principles.