An Old School Catholic Message Board

Communism and Liberalism

Akalyte

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jan 1 2006, 12:01 PM']Everyone is free to observe the Sabbath day of their choice.

I do not beleive that was ever really an issue.
[right][snapback]842537[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That could be part of the issue in what the separation of church and state ought to be.

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jan 2 2006, 12:44 AM']That could be part of the issue in what the separation of church and state ought to be.
[right][snapback]843060[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, perhaps it could.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Dec 27 2005, 12:46 AM']Communism and Liberalism are one in the same!  In both Christ is their enemy, and Goverment is god.  Communist unjustly murdered Jews, Liberalist murder Babies.  :weep:
[right][snapback]836736[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think that killing is necessarily part of Communism. That's like saying "Hitler had brown hair. Hitler killed Jews. Brown-haired people kill Jews."

Communism is a political philosophy. Just because communists did something doesn't make it necessary for a communist state.

Why is it that liberals are the only group that really seems to care about the environment and most of the most conservative people I've heard talk about such things think that stricter environmental laws and regulations cost too many jobs and hurt the economy or they just don't think it's important?

For all the liberals are wrong about, a little more environmental concern seems like a wiser thing. Not dealing as much with it now just to make a quick dollar is foolish. We have limited natural supplies and that will have to be dealt with eventually. Corporations should be thinking long term, not just short term. As much as smog has decreased where I live since twenty years ago, only within the last five years has my dad actually needed his inhalor on a regular basis and gotten a second kind of asthma medication. As for it costing more money, well I remember my mom mentioning something some years back something about Canada's government offered tax incentives or tax breaks to companies who were more environmentally friendly and it worked. Still, this doesn't favor as much the not as long-term view of business and involves greater government regulation of business which a dislike of seems to characterize most very conservative politics in addition to wanting government to regulate on certain other matters.

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jan 3 2006, 01:08 PM']Why is it that liberals are the only group that really seems to care about the environment and most of the most conservative people I've heard talk about such things think that stricter environmental laws  and regulations cost too many jobs and hurt the economy or they just don't think it's important?

For all the liberals are wrong about, a little more environmental concern seems like a wiser thing.  Not dealing as much with it now just to make a quick dollar is foolish.  We have limited natural supplies and that will have to be dealt with eventually.  Corporations should be thinking long term, not just short term.  As much as smog has decreased where I live since twenty years ago, only within the last five years has my dad actually needed his inhalor on a regular basis and gotten a second kind of asthma medication.  As for it costing more money, well I remember my mom mentioning something some years back something about Canada's government offered tax incentives or tax breaks to companies who were more environmentally friendly and it worked.  Still, this doesn't favor as much the not as long-term view of business and involves greater government regulation of business which a dislike of seems to characterize most very conservative politics in addition to wanting government to regulate on certain other matters.
[right][snapback]844610[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree that the environment is something to think about, but it is far from trumping the propigation of the culture of death and the philosophy of moral relativism. The libs are all about killing anyone that is of no use to them, abortion, euthanasia, infanticide, etc. Of course they want to save the violent criminals. They also try so hard to abolish God and make each person their own god. But as long as the environment is saved, we're okay.

I think I'd rather die in a smog infested acid-rain environment in a state of grace than live in a place with a beautiful blue sky, green grass and trees, clean air, but where human dignity is determined by the functionality of the individual.

Edited by Matty_boy

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Jan 3 2006, 12:17 PM']Forget the environment.  The libs are all about killing anyone that is of no use to them, abortion, euthanasia, infanticide, etc.  Of course they want to save the violent criminals.
[right][snapback]844621[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
There are over 17 million asthmatics in this ountry and asthma is affected by smog. More people have heart attacks and other cardiovascular problems when the smog is higher. This doesn't matter?

I can't forget the environment. Seeing my mother fall asleep from hypoxia almost every afternoon for several years and her being incapable of getting a regular job outside the home make me unable to do so. I want my children to know what it's like to play outside in summer without needing an inhalor, I memory I am unable to posses since I was asthmatic so young. That doesn't matter at all? How campassionate. I'm sorry. I just don't want that for others and clearly that is in conflict with conservative views because it's so "trivial." Sometimes it's just a matter of how fast they die.

Edited by Light and Truth

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Jan 2 2006, 06:32 PM']I don't think that killing is necessarily part of Communism.  That's like saying That's like saying "Hitler had brown hair. Hitler killed Jews. Brown-haired people kill Jews."

Communism is a political philosophy.  Just because communists did something doesn't make it necessary for a communist state.
[right][snapback]843762[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Obviously, you know nothing about the philosophy and history of Communism.

Revolutionary violence is central and intrinsic to the whole philosophy of Marxist/Leninist Communism, not just something accidental to it.
Communists believe in the necessity of violence to overthrow the "capitalists," and believe in continued violence even after the institution of the Communist state, to "purify" and further the Communist cause - hence the bloody history of "purges" and and violence against "deviationists" within the Communist party.
This reached its most horrific extremes in the so-called "Cultural Revolution" in Mao's China.

This pattern of violence was there from the beginning of Communism, and has existed in every Communist state.
This comes from the violent revolutionary philosophy of Communism's ancestor, the bloody French Revolution.

Saying Communists murder is not at all like saying, "Hitler had brown hair. Hitler killed Jews. Brown-haired people kill Jews."

It's more like saying, "Hitler was a Nazi. Hitler killed Jews. Nazis kill Jews."

The atrocious violence of both Nazis and Communists came directly from their evil and godless ideologies.
To say otherwise shows deep ignorance (or denial) of the facts.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jan 3 2006, 01:28 PM']There are over 17 million asthmatics in this ountry and asthma is affected by smog.  More people have heart attacks and other cardiovascular problems when the smog is higher.  This doesn't matter?

I can't forget the environment.  Seeing my mother fall asleep from hypoxia almost every afternoon for several years and her being incapable of getting a regular job outside the home make me unable to do so.  I want my children to know what it's like to play outside in summer without needing an inhalor, I memory I am unable to posses since I was asthmatic so young.  That doesn't matter at all?  How campassionate.  I'm sorry.  I just don't want that for others and clearly that is in conflict with conservative views because it's so "trivial."  Sometimes it's just a matter of how fast they die.
[right][snapback]844623[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is true the environment should not be forgotten... Conservatives know this, and believe this. You've been brainwash by the Liberial Press in thinking Conservatives dont care about the enivronment.

I feel sorrow for you and your Mother I will pray for you and her if she be passed away or not.

However it is not the fault of Conservatives that you and your mother fell ill to "hypoxia" and "asthmatic", that is no ones fault it just happens with or without "smog". True smog affects it but does not cause it. If you hate smog so much stop driving a car or anything that would make smog.

Of course it matters that you want your children to be able to play outside in summer, but let us review a Pro-choice Liberail would have no problem murdering your children in the womb, and no problem murdering or "putting her out of her misery" your mother or Great Martyrs like Terri Schiavo.

Murdering... The Abortion Holocaust its what Pro-choice Libs do to tens of millions of Unborn Children that will never see daylight let alone summer. What will you do about The Abortion Holocaust, what good is the enviroment if there are few or no children alive to play in it?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Jan 3 2006, 08:48 PM']It is true the environment should not be forgotten...  Conservatives know this, and believe this.  You've been brainwash by the Liberial Press in thinking Conservatives dont care about the enivronment. [right][snapback]845210[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If I am so brainwashed, what have they done to improve environmental matters? What political actions have occured?

BTW, I'm a former journalism major. I suspect more apathetic about aquiring information than I am brainwashed.
[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Jan 3 2006, 08:48 PM']I feel sorrow for you and your Mother I will pray for you and her if she be passed away or not.  [right][snapback]845210[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Don't worry about me. I'm one of the healthiest of the four of us.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Jan 3 2006, 08:48 PM']However it is not the fault of Conservatives that you and your mother fell ill to "hypoxia" and "asthmatic", that is no ones fault it just happens with or without "smog".  [i]True smog affects it but does not cause it.[/i]  If you hate smog so much stop driving a car or anything that would make smog.
[right][snapback]845210[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually the duration of chemical exposure, through smog for example, is one of the factors that results in chemical sensitivities which may reveal themselves as in decreases ability to breath as in triggering asthma. In that sense, smog can cause it. I believe it was USC where a study was done that found chemical sensitivities are more prevelant than realized, with reactions discovered in what was supposed to be the control group.

The life alterations to avoid all actions involved with chemical release and particularly smog production are unrealistic in our society. Travel methods are not quite condusive to being presentable for work or safe late at night. I don't want all of those things (like cars, paint, production fumes, certain applications of formaldehyde) removed in society because I don't think that is a reasonable expectation or realistic goal in the next few decades. I don't want to be a lone young woman walking in 44 degree rain at 10 pm past a corner where a repeat sex offenses have happened, but I would be glad to drive a hybrid car or alternative fuel car past there if the car and fuel supply was readily available and affordable to or my family. I don't want blame, I want action. There is technology that exists that simply hasn't been applied on a practical and broad setting and there is more that can be found.

(For the record, I don't use perfume, air freshener, or buy scented products except maybe the mildest candles at some point.)

So what is bad about liberals: euthenasia, abortion, death sentence, basically the whole immediate life issues, and homosexuality.
What is good about them: environment, helping the poor
Correct?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jan 3 2006, 11:45 PM']If I am so brainwashed, what have they done to improve environmental matters?  What political actions have occured?

BTW, I'm a former journalism major.  I suspect more apathetic about aquiring information than I am brainwashed.

So what is bad about liberals: euthenasia, abortion, death sentence, basically the whole immediate life issues, and homosexuality.
What is good about them: environment, helping the poor
Correct?
[right][snapback]845333[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What is sinful is Euthenasia, Abortion, and Homosexuality. Be they Cons or Libs that support these sinful acts... and yes protecting the enviroment is good and helping the poor is better...BTW... I do recall seeing alot of Christian orgs. helping ppl hurt by the Hurricanes I do not recall seeing "great" Lib. orgs. like the ACLU, Or the Americans for Seperation of Church and State down there...

Liberals control the media, and only their opitions come across and there-for causing the viewer to be "brainwashed".

Here are the environmental accomplishments of the Republican Controlled 104th - 108th Congress... I suspect you'll poo poo most of these actions... but remember you seemed to believe Republicans did nothing good for the environment. These are a list of good helpfull actions...

The environmental accomplishments of the 104th Congress are:

Safe Drinking Water Act — improves the original law through the use of advanced science and research to improve drinking water quality and funds for new water projects and systems. Also establishes a Community Right-to-Know measure on the quality of their local water supplies.

Water Resources Development Act — improves and restores the environmental quality of our nation’s rivers, harbors, lakes and beaches. Improves protection of drinking water sources, thereby restoring and creating wetlands and beach habitat.

Magnuson Fishery Conservation and Management Act -- (Sustainable Fisheries Act) — provides the most comprehensive conservation and habitat protections of America’s fishery resources ever approved by Congress. Establishes a new commitment to long-term ecosystem protection with greater local input to reduce overfishing and rebuild depleted commercial stock.

The Omnibus Parks Package of 1996 — the largest parks and public lands package since 1978, it creates new parks, protects existing park units and historic sites, and establishes new memorials in over 40 states. This historic parks bill includes new protections for major parks such as the Everglades, Yellowstone National Park, and Sterling Forest.

International Driftnet Moratorium — strengthens U.S. efforts to assist the United Nations in stopping the use of large-scale driftnets that have killed hundreds of thousands of marine mammals, sea turtles, and birds.

Coastal Zone Management Act — extends federal funding for the creation and implementation of coastal management programs. Improves the water quality of coastal habitats, such as beaches, wetlands, and marshes, for wildlife as well as recreation.

National Marine Sanctuaries Preservation Act — provides for the management, recovery, and preservation of the U.S.S. Monitor marine reserve and establishes mechanisms to enhance the financial viability of the 13 national marine sanctuaries (underwater parks) located along the U.S. coastline.

Food Quality Protection Act — ensures environmentally safe standards for the use of pesticides on our food.

Antarctic Environmental Protection Act — provides for the implementation of an environmental protocol to establish important protections in the Antarctic for flora and fauna and impose strict limits on activities in the region.

Conservation Title of the Farm Bill — provides protection of 36 million acres of erodible and environmentally sensitive farmland. Improves farming practices to reduce environmental impact and creates millions of acres of wildlife habitat on or near farms.

California Bay-Delta Environmental Enhancement and Water Security Act — provides funding for the restoration of the Bay-Delta estuary and provide clean water. It prevents water pollution at its sources, protects wildlife habitat and fisheries, and provides local flood protection projects.

National Invasive Species Act — protects lake, river, and harbor wildlife habitat from invasive non-indigenous species and highly destructive aquatic plants that threaten these habitats and water resource infrastructure.

Everglades Protection Amendments — improvement of habitat for many endangered and threatened species that depend on the Everglades for survival and improves water quality for local populations.

Battery Recycling Act — reduces levels of mercury and other toxic metals in waste disposal sites by removing barriers that prevented proper disposal and recycling of batteries.
The environmental accomplishments of the 105th Congress include:

National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act — improves the federal management and conservation of America’s national wildlife refuges.

African and Asian Elephant Conservation Acts — assists in the conservation of two species that suffered extreme population decreases in the 1970s and 1980s.

International Dolphin Conservation Program Act — implements an international treaty to protect dolphins and ecosystem protections for other marine life in yellowfin tuna fisheries.

National Sea Grant College Program Reauthorization Act — provides $165 million for marine research, science and education programs at over 300 universities throughout the nation.

Sikes Act (contained in Dept. of Defense Reauthorization) — improves the fish and wildlife management on nearly 25 million acres of federal land under the jurisdiction of the Department of Defense on over 90 U.S. military installations. Over 100 threatened and endangered species, along with other wildlife, will benefit from these improvements.

Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (Air Quality Section) — provides $1.5 billion a year for reducing highway congestion and improving air quality, encourages the development of pollution reducing fuels and alternative vehicles, increases the funding for aquatic resources protection by 20 percent, nearly doubles the availability of tax-free mass transit benefits to workers, and establishes a pilot program allowing state and local governments to plan environmentally sound development.

Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act — provides for efficient management of existing Atlantic striped bass populations, requires a continued study of fish stocks, and imposes a moratorium on states that do not comply with the management plan.

Drought Policy Act — integrates federal policies to better prepare for and respond to drought emergencies.

Tropical Forest Conservation Act — encourages participating nations to protect tropical rain forests through a "debt-for-nature" swap. Outstanding debt to the United States will be reduced in return for a trust fund to pay for rain forest protection.

Wildlife Refuge System Volunteer and Community Partnership Act — promotes volunteer participation in refuge maintenance, encourages community partnerships between the refuge and local groups, and provides incentives for private donations to help the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service maintain the nation’s wildlife refuges.

Environmental Policy and Conflict Resolution Act — provides funds and establishes methods to resolve environmental disputes. This offers an effective alternative to costly and time-consuming litigation.

Rhinoceros and Tiger Conservation Act — increases U.S. involvement in the international protection of endangered rhinos and tigers.

Rhinoceros and Tiger Product Labeling Act — prohibits the importation and exportation of any product containing any species of endangered rhinos or tigers in the United States.

Everglades Restoration — continues the federal commitment to restoring the Everglades, one of the country’s largest and most ecologically valuable wetlands.

Completion of the Appalachian Trial — establishes funding for purchasing the final portions of land to finish the Appalachian Trial. This completes one of the longest recreational trails in the nation, stretching from Maine to Georgia.

Vision 2020 National Parks Restoration Act — requires the National Park Service to streamline its management, follow a strategic management plan, and establish a formal training program for employees. It also extends a local fee system to allow parks to collect and keep more revenue to balance their debt and maintain their park services.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Reform Act — continues the federal protections for migratory birds by prohibiting baited fields to attract birds while ensuring that the sporting community is treated fairly and protected from wrongful accusations.

Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act of 1998 — provides guidelines to develop and implement proposals to restore the fish and wildlife of the Great Lakes Basin. Specifically, it develops a program to reduce the sea lamprey population, an intrusive species that has reduced the Lakes fish population.
The major environmental accomplishments of the 106th Congress are:

Estuaries and Clean Waters Act — This measure seeks solutions to water pollution and habitat protection through federal, state and local cooperation, as well as public-private partnerships. Additionally, funding will be reinstated under the Clean Lakes Program to reduce acid rain in the northeast and combat nonpoint source pollution. Key estuaries that will receive protection and preservation are the Chesapeake Bay, Lake Pontchartrain Basin, Long Island Sound and the Tijuana River Valley.

Coral Reef Conservation and Partnership Act — Coral reefs are considered to be one of the most biologically diverse ecosystems, important as wildlife habitat and for local tourism economies. This measure provides $16 million annually for reef assistance grants to protect these ecosystems, provide for local law enforcement efforts, and allow for further research.

Water Resources Development Act of 1999 — improves and restores the environmental quality of our nation’s rivers, harbors, lakes and beaches. Authorizes projects nationwide to ensure drinking water quality, environmental restoration, recreation and ecosystem protection.

South Florida Restoration Initiative — provides guidance and funding for the preservation of the Everglades ecosystem. Balances the needs of local communities and farmers, particularly water needs, with restoration of the unique and critical habitat in southern Florida.

Florida Keys Water Quality Improvement Act — provides grants to state and local agencies, as well as the Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority, for wastewater treatment and stormwater management. This effort will improve marine habitats in the Florida Keys

Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Act — Many neotropical migratory birds are listed as endangered or threatened, requiring thousands of mile of suitable habitat during annual migrations. This measure allows for conservation grants to preserve these habitats.

Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century (AIR 21) — provides the means to reduce aviation air and noise pollution. Funding for new technologies and incentive programs will encourage noise abatement projects and encourage airports to use low-emission vehicles. Additionally, it sets rules and regulations for air tours over our national parks to reduce noise and pollution.

Beaches Environmental Awareness, Cleanup and Health Act of 1999 — directs the Federal government to make a more complete determination of potential health risks at our nation’s beaches and coastlines. By establishing information on possible health risks and collecting a database on these risks, states will be able to ensure public health and safety for recreation and wildlife.

Coastal Barrier Resources Reauthorization Act— reauthorizes the Act to maintain 1.3 million acres of coastal barriers that preserve and protect coastal ecosystems and national marine sanctuaries. Additionally, it encourages private landowners to donate their property to the system, thereby discouraging development and preserving these environments.

National Marine Sanctuaries Enhancement Act — protects and preserves marine environments as a system of sanctuaries. This represents the preservation of important environments for conservation, recreational, ecological and aesthetic value, such as coral reefs and historical marine sites.

Marine Mammal Rescue Act of 1999 — provides aid for the rescue of marine mammals stranded on American shores. The measure also provides for research and rehabilitation of marine mammals.

Superfund Recycling Equity Act of 1999 — reduces the chance of public health risk from waste sites, as companies are encouraged to develop and maintain a recycling program. While being held free from liability, companies will reduce the amount of materials disposed in waste sites.

Arctic Tundra Habitat Conservation Act — This measure will allow the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to preserve the fragile Arctic tundra ecosystem.

Oceans Act — Establishes an Ocean Commission to study and recommend ways to preserve the world’s oceans. These are some of the most diverse ecosystems, providing wildlife habitat and economic resources.

Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act Reauthorization — continues to provide for efficient management of existing Atlantic striped bass populations, requires a continued study of fish stocks, and imposes a moratorium on states that do not comply with the management plan.

Shark Conservation Act (Shark Finning Prohibition Act) — Outlaws the wasteful and barbaric act of removing the fins of the shark and discarding the remainder of the fish in U.S. waters. Sharks numbers have dwindled due to these fishing practices and other commercial interests.

Lake Tahoe Restoration Act — Directs the U.S. Forest Service to develop plans to protect the Lake Tahoe basin from erosion, catastrophic wildfires and water pollution.

Red River National Wildlife Refuge Act — Under this measure, the ecosystem of this degraded Mississippi River tributary and the surrounding valley will be cleaned up and preserved. It is not only an important commercial and recreational span, but also a migratory corridor for over 350 bird species.

Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge Establishment Act — This act establishes a 3,500-acre refuge in Bibb County, Alabama, protecting the state’s longest free-flowing river and its unique wildlife habitat of 131 fish species and 69 threatened and endangered species.

Cat Island National Wildlife Refuge Establishment Act — establishes the Cat Island refuge along the Mississippi River as key wildlife habitat for bald cypress trees, shorebirds and migratory birds

In 1999 and 2000, Republicans made great strides in establishing wilderness areas and preserving land as wildlife habitat and for recreation. The following are just a few of the measures that were passed with local input and cooperation, instead of executive orders:

Black Canyon National Park and Gunnison National Conservation Area of Act — Colorado — recognizes the 20,766-acre Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument as a national park, along with 7,000 acres of adjacent land. It also creates a 57,725 acre national conservation area near Gunnison Gorge and begins land-use studies on the 42,000 acre Curecanti National Recreation Area. In total, over 127,000 acres will be preserved and studied.

Duggar Mountain Wilderness Act — Alabama — designates 9,200 acres in the Talladega National Forest as wilderness.

Otay Mountain Wilderness Act of 1999 — California — sets aside the 18,500-acre site as wilderness on the California — Mexico border, protecting wildlife habitat for several sensitive species.

Coastal Heritage Trail — New Jersey — provides funding towards maintenance and preservation of this recreation area along the New Jersey coast.

Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area — Georgia — protects the 100-year floodplain, or roughly one-half mile on each side of a 48-mile segment of the river from overdevelopment. This river is key habitat and recreational area.

Las Cienegas National Conservation Area Establishment Act of 1999 — Arizona — sets aside 42,000 acres in Pima and Santa Cruz Counties, including part of the Coronado National Forest, as a conservation area. Additionally, it provides mechanisms for the management of an additional 137,000-acre conservation area and for future acquisitions of conservation land within the Sonoita Valley.

Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument Act of 2000 — California — establishes the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains as a national monument, providing protecting for this wilderness area for wildlife habitat and for its recreational and cultural significance.

Colorado Canyons National Conservation Area and Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness Act of 2000 — Colorado and Utah — establishes a comprehensive plan for the long-range protection and management of the Colorado Canyons and Black Ridge.

Valles Caldera Preservation Act — New Mexico — authorizes the acquisition of Baca Ranch and establishment of coordinated land management practices within the Lower Alamo watershed, allow for improved management of elk and other wildlife populations ranging between the Santa Fe National Forest and the Bandelier National Monument.
The major environmental accomplishments of the 107th Congress are:

Small Business Liability Relief and Brownfields Revitalization Act — This Act promotes the cleanup and redevelopment of abandoned urban industrial sites for reuse. These brownfields are not only eyesores, but can cause air and groundwater contamination of the local area. With revitalization, these sites are turned into productive businesses, stimulating the local economy through increased tax revenue and jobs. This urban development also reduces sprawl and traffic congestion by limiting the development of "greenfields," suburban and rural open spaces.

North American Wetlands Conservation Reauthorization Act — Reauthorizes these important wetlands conservation programs for the next five years and increases funding to $75 million a year by 2007. The program provides matching grants to protect vital wetlands habitat in Mexico, Canada and the U.S., especially important to migratory birds and waterfowl. Since its passage in 1989, the law is responsible for protecting and restoring over 8.7 million acres of wetlands.

Conservation Aspects of the Farm Bill — Despite the criticisms from some that it does not go far enough to protect the environment, this Act substantially promotes conservation techniques and practices. A total of $17.1 billion in funding over the next ten years is devoted to wildlife, water and soil preservation programs. This includes the reauthorization of the Conservation Reserve Program, the Environmental Quality Incentives Program, the Wetlands Reserve Program, including an additional 150,000 acres of wetlands preserved annually, and the Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program. These programs will offer farmers, ranchers, and other landowners incentives to set aside land, increase riparian buffers and reduce nonpoint runoff to protect local water supplies and wildlife habitat.

Yucca Mountain Development resolution — Approves the development of the Yucca Mountain repository to safely store the nation’s high-level nuclear waste. Currently, this waste is stored at 131 sites in 39 states, often close to communities and bodies of water. This is not only a potential threat to public health, but also the environment. Many years and billions of dollars have been spent studying Yucca site and determine it is a safe storage site, and this measure will allow the process to continue.

Great Lakes Legacy Act of 2002 — Authorizes $50 million a year for 5 years to assist the Environmental Protection Agency in assessing and cleanup of over two dozen contaminated sites in the Great Lakes region. There are over 40 contaminated sites in the Great Lakes’ rivers, harbors and bays. Cleanup of contaminants including polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxin and mercury will protect the health of local wildlife and preserve their habitat, as well as protect public health from consumption of fish and wildfowl.

Death Tax Elimination Act of 2001 — The death tax forces families to sell farmland and property in order to pay federal taxes upon a family member’s death. Not only is this a financial burden, but also can have a drastic impact on the environment. This land may be sold for development, which can contribute to rapid suburban development on former farmland, and can impact local water quality through erosion from construction, as well as overburden local water supplies.

Wildland Fire Management — Annually, catastrophic wildfires destroy thousands of acres of wildlife habitat and threaten human lives. This Act provides additional funding and requires federal agencies to work cooperatively in fire prevention to reduce the risk of wildfires. Not only do these fires destroy wilderness and habitat, but also ash and soot pollutes local air and harms water quality through runoff and erosion.

Fisheries Conservation Act of 2002 — Extends the authority for several specific fisheries Acts to continue the preservation of these vital ocean habitats and commercial fisheries. Not only will the striped bass and tuna benefit specifically, but also fisheries along the Atlantic and Northwest coasts.

National Sea Grant College Program Act Amendments of 2001 — Reauthorizes funding for marine research, science and education programs at over 300 universities throughout the nation. This program provides for crucial environmental education and research programs to protect and preserve coastal and marine ecosystems and habitats.

NOAA Chesapeake Bay Reauthorization Act — Authorizes funding for the Chesapeake Bay Estuarine Resources Office, providing assistance for the cleanup and preservation of the Chesapeake Bay through community projects and restoration grants. The Bay is not only unique wildlife habitat, but is vital for local recreation and commerce.

Asian Elephant Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2001 — This Act assists in the conservation of a species that has suffered extreme population decreases in the 1970s and 1980s though public —private partnerships and the Multinational Species Conservation Fund.

African Elephant Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2001 — Similar to its counterpart for the Asian elephant, this Act provides annual funding for the preservation of the African elephant, such as anti-poaching efforts, population surveys and herd and habitat conservation.

Rhinoceros and Tiger Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2001 — This Act increases U.S. involvement in the international protection of endangered rhinos and tigers.

Connecticut River Salmon Act — Extends the interstate compact and programs to restore the habitat and numbers of Atlantic Salmon in the Connecticut River Basin, which extends from Vermont and New Hampshire to the Long Island Sound.

Chiloquin Dam Fish Passage Feasibility Study Act of 2001 — Seeks to provide adequate upstream and downstream migratory passage to two threatened species of suckerfish. Without such alternative passageways, only 5% can make it to spawning grounds above the dam.

In 2001 and 2002, bipartisan efforts allowed for great strides in establishing wilderness areas and preserving land as wildlife habitat and for recreation. The following are just a few of the measures that were passed with local input and cooperation:

Rocky Flats National Wildlife Refuge Act — Colorado — Upon the final cleanup and decommissioning of the Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site, a former nuclear weapons research and processing site, this 11,000 acres will be set aside as wildlife habitat for the more than 250 species.

The James Peak Wilderness, Wilderness Study, and Protection Area Act — Colorado — After working closely with local communities to reach an agreement on recreational access, this Act provides further protection to portions of the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests as the James Peak Wilderness, ensuring their preservation as wildlife habitat and for recreational opportunities.

Fern Lake Conservation and Recreation Act of 2001 — Kentucky and Tennessee — Expands the Cumberland Gap National Historic Park through the addition of Fern Lake and the surrounding watershed. This will protect the Pinnacle Overlook and surrounding areas as wildlife habitat and for recreational opportunities.

Craters of the Moon National Preserve — Idaho — Preserves this area as wildlife habitat and for recreation.

Bull Run Watershed Management — Oregon — Adds 2,890 acres of federal lands to the watershed and eliminates timber harvesting in the area.

Eight Mile River Wild and Scenic River Study Act of 2001 — Connecticut — Begins the process of adding the Eight Mile River to the Wild and Scenic Rivers program. This aids in the preservation of the river as wildlife habitat and a historical site, as well as for recreation use.

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area Protection and Enhancement Act of 2002 — Nevada — Acquires and exchanges land for the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, expanding protection of the some of the most environmentally sensitive lands and habitat in the state.

The Moccasin Bend National Historic Site Establishment Act — Tennessee — Establishes this historic and archaeological national treasure as a National Park to ensure its future preservation.

Gunn McKay Nature Preserve Act — Utah — Designates 15-acres near the city of Huntsville as a nature preserve, protecting it from development. Also requires the city and local nonprofit organizations to establish a management plan.

Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge Establishment Act — Michigan — Establishes an international wildlife refuge on the Lower Detroit River to protect and preserve aquatic habitats and ecological features. This will not only benefit these important habitats, but also enhance recreational and environmental education opportunities.
The environmental accomplishments of the 108th Congress are:

Healthy Forests Restoration Act — This is the first measure to significantly alter the federal government’s approach to combating and preventing catastrophic wildfires. After decades of mismanagement, over 190 million acres are in danger of catastrophic wildfires that destroy habitat and private property and pollute the air and watersheds. The Act authorizes the immediate treatment through thinning and debris removal of 20 million acres of the most at-risk sections, beginning with populated areas of wildland-urban interface and leaving areas of designated wilderness untouched.

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer Act of 2003 — Many wildlife refuges rely on volunteer efforts by private groups and partnerships with states and local communities to ensure they are well maintained and preserved. This Act expands funding and the number of projects that will protect these critical wildlife habitats and recreation areas.

Water Supply, Reliability, and Environmental Improvement Act (CALFED) — This Act will help coordinate water usage nationwide, as more and more water users, from wildlife to agriculture to residents, compete for a dwindling supply of fresh water. It also promotes the development of desalinization plants and ways to conserve water. Further, it expands the CALFED Bay — Delta program to coordinate water usage in California.

Marine Turtle Conservation Act of 2004 — This Act finances projects to protect marine turtles and their nesting grounds through the Multinational Species Conservation Act. It also establishes the Marine Turtle Conservation Fund and assists other nations with their conservation efforts to recover and sustain worldwide turtle populations.

Nutria Eradication and Control Act of 2003 — Nutria is an invasive species native to South America and is destroying wetlands at an alarming rate, pushing out native species in the Gulf and East Coasts. The measure authorizes the Interior Department to eliminate nutria in Louisiana and Maryland to protect vital habitats, including Louisiana’s coastal wetlands, the Chesapeake Bay and the Delaware Bay watersheds.

Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Complex Expansion and Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge Expansion Act — This measure will expand two of the largest refuges in the upper Midwest. The Ottawa and Detroit River Refuges protects over 300 plant species, critical marshlands of Lake Erie and is an important stopover for hundreds of migratory bird species. Additionally, it provides for an annual $1.5 billion recreation and tourism industry in Lake Erie and $2 billion in Ohio.

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (Michigan) — Expands the 35-mile stretch of coastline on eastern Lake Michigan by purchase of 104 acres from a willing seller. This will further protect the more than 71,000-acre park as wildlife habitat and for local recreation.

I would gladly have settled for withing 10 listings, and preferable a greater indication of who was involved, but I will look those up more later, especially anything that is indicatated as occuring in the last decade. What were the 104-108 congresses? Please forgive me if I'm a bit tired and missed something, but most of these seem to be about preserving natural environment. Did I miss any that more direction effect corporations*?

*That's actually the kind of work I'm interested in as a possible profession or profession related thing.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jan 4 2006, 01:05 AM']I would gladly have settled for withing 10 listings, and preferable a greater indication of who was involved, but I will look those up more later, especially anything that is indicatated as occuring in the last decade.  What were the 104-108 congresses?  Please forgive me if I'm a bit tired and missed something, but most of these seem to be about preserving natural environment.  Did I miss any that more direction effect corporations*?

*That's actually the kind of work I'm interested in as a possible profession or profession related thing.
[right][snapback]845355[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do as you please... However I will not answer or responed to anything more you have to say untill you answer 3 of my questions... Is abortion evil? Is abortion murder? Is Abortion a Holocaust?

You must be sleepy lol the 104-108 congresses are The Republican Controlled Untied States Congress (The Untied States Senate and House of Representatives) 104th, 105th, 106th, 107th, and 108th. Understand?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Jan 4 2006, 12:16 AM']Do as you please... However I will not answer or responed to anything more you have to say untill you answer 3 of my questions... Is abortion evil?  Is abortion murder?  Is Abortion a Holocaust?

You must be sleepy lol the 104-108 congresses are The Republican Controlled Untied States Congress (The Untied States Senate and House of Representatives) 104th, 105th, 106th, 107th, and 108th.  Understand?
[right][snapback]845359[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Abortion, at least once the nervous system has started to form, is murder and therefore clearly wrong. I don't know the stats on it or what qualifies as holicaust*. I'm sure it's as much as some smaller genicides that have been aborted.

*I specify this because I was told that one genicide of the 20th century preceding the Jewish holicaust did not qualify as a holicaust.

And doh. I meant when were the 104-108th congresses?

I hope you will answer my question now.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Jan 4 2006, 02:01 AM']Abortion, at least once the nervous system has started to form, is murder and therefore clearly wrong.  I don't know the stats on it or what qualifies as holicaust*.  I'm sure it's as much as some smaller genicides that have been aborted.

*I specify this because I was told that one genicide of the 20th century preceding the Jewish holicaust did not qualify as a holicaust.

And doh.  I meant when were the 104-108th congresses?

I hope you will answer my question now.
[right][snapback]845376[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What does a nervous system have to do with making murder, murder? The "stats" I have is that Abortion has killed over 40 million in the Untied Stats alone... thats ALOT more than the Jewish Holoicaust. So with these stats is Abortion a Holocaust?

Well... if you know anything about our System of Goverment the 109th congress will be formed this year. The 108th congress is the present congress... was formed two years ago (2004) two years before that 107th congress... two years before that 106th... two years before that 105th.. and two years before that 104th. Do they not teach you things such as this in journalism school?

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='Dec 26 2005, 11:46 PM']Communism and Liberalism are one in the same!  In both Christ is their enemy, and Goverment is god.  Communist unjustly murdered Jews, Liberalist murder Babies.  :weep:
[right][snapback]836736[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Communism in theory is an economic system. I suspect that part of the reason for it's failure is that it allows too much power in too small a circle without enough checks and balances and internal controls. Thus the system easily becomes corrupt and dictators can do what dictators do, maintaining their power with an iron fist at the expense of the people who already live with an economically inefficient market scarring most of their lives with a certain amount of poverty.

Liberalism does not have the same kind of planned economic impact and removes not as much government restrictions, but the people's. Most of the objections have to do with what the people are allowed to do, not what the government does to them. The main economic element is that it aims at a certain amount of government aid which involved more big government, but still falls short of the major economic system that communism creates.

Technically, I believe the nazi's differed from the communists. None-the-less, the communist and socialist governments and other dictators have ruthlessly killed and brought suffering to many, e.g. Stalins pogroms for jews, Tiananmen square and the various persecutions in China.