An Old School Catholic Message Board

seat belts

dairygirl4u2c

If caught, should not wearing a seat belt be punishable by a fine?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:09 AM']Jaywalking laws are the same things -- they're really for people who don't think to look both ways before crossing the street, so we make it super obvious to them that they're supposed to cross at X time and at X place. Duh.

[right][snapback]832636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Jaywalking laws are stupid. Its a way of life for me. :)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Carrie' date='Dec 21 2005, 08:14 AM']Jaywalking laws are stupid.  Its a way of life for me.  :)
[right][snapback]832641[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Signs, crosswalks and lights are merely suggestions in NYC.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:11 AM']Yeah, that's the impression I have too.. And a lot of times, what the feds say is based on pressure from lobbies. It's all pretty weird.
[right][snapback]832638[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Agreed, it is all weird. I have a love/hate relationship with the law and lawmaking.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:12 AM']Keep your laws off my body

(Hmm maybe I'll copyright that phrase!!)
[right][snapback]832640[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Too late, I already did.

[quote name='Carrie' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:14 AM']Jaywalking laws are stupid.  Its a way of life for me.  :)
[right][snapback]832641[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
They're only stupid because you're so smart.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:18 AM']Signs, crosswalks and lights are merely suggestions in NYC.
[right][snapback]832644[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Exactly.

Basically, cross where and when you want. There are some rules though.

1. You must be able to outrun a yellow cab (just in case).

2. If you're too stupid to see the car coming... :ninja:

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:22 AM']They're only stupid because you're so smart.
[right][snapback]832649[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:P:

[quote name='Carrie' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:24 AM']Exactly.

Basically, cross where and when you want.  There are some rules though.

1. You must be able to outrun a yellow cab (just in case).

2. If you're too stupid to see the car coming... :ninja:
[right][snapback]832651[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I know it's very Darwinian of me, but there is something to be said for survival of the fittest ... :disguise:

I don't think it should be a criminal act to not wear a seat belt. If a person riding a motorcycle doesn't, by law, have to wear a helmet, then I should not have to(by law) wear a seat belt.

That being said, it's a really good idea. Take that from a person who was just laid up for 3 weeks because she wasn't wearing one and some stupid lady slammed right into my best friend's car while we were driving to Wal-Mart.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 21 2005, 08:09 AM']Basically, we're fining people for being stupid. The fine is meant to communicate "this is important, you idiot. You could die." It just happens to also catch those of us who carefully consider the risks and still drive sans seatbelts. Or cross the street at places other than the intersection. Or let our kids run around willy-nilly in the back while we're driving.
[right][snapback]832636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Reminds me of this:
"Here's your sign"

Of course people should be required by law to wear seatbelts! A lot of you remember my accident last year. If I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt, I'd have been killed.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Dave' date='Dec 21 2005, 12:08 PM']Of course people should be required by law to wear seatbelts!  A lot of you remember my accident last year.  If I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt, I'd have been killed.
[right][snapback]832897[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree that it is wise to wear a seatbelt, and your story is a case in point; but you hardly have a logical syllogism with regard to the criminality of not wearing a seatbelt.

dairygirl4u2c

Does anyone here who said no also believe that sodomy should be illegal?

If so, how do you differentiate between a person in a car hurting themself and the gay men hurting themself?

I always thought the underlying issue with all those bannings and stuff was that we are our brother's keeper. To a certain degree I can see that. But I don't see how you can answer no to this and ban sodomy.

Perhaps this way. If your argument is because sodomy is against natural law, how do you classify not having the wisdom to wear a seatbelt? Is the seatbelt thing stupidity, which is not agains the natural law? And then the sodomy thing is.. lust, which is against the natural law? Or that's how I might argue it.

I want to hear your thoughts though.

If so, how do you differentiate between a person in a car hurting themself and the gay men hurting themself?

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

Thanks Soc, your ability to say "just because" and to state nothing new never ceases to amaze me.

If someone can address the issue, I'd be appreciated, and we can make some progress and have a real discussion.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

PadreSantiago

The reason we fine people for not wearing seatbelts is because when we didn't find people, no one wore seatbelts. So if we stop fining people they will stop wearing seatbelts. Speaking for myself it's so automatic and drilled into my skull that I actually feel uncomfortable driving without my seatbelt

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 21 2005, 02:29 PM']I agree that it is wise to wear a seatbelt, and your story is a case in point; but you hardly have a logical syllogism with regard to the criminality of not wearing a seatbelt.
[right][snapback]832956[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't give a carp about being logical here. It's just an issue I feel strongly about. I feel I have a right to post something and not have others such as yourself complaining it's not a "logical syllogism." As far as I'm concerned, I'm really not interested in this debate anyway; I just felt like giving my randon $.02.