An Old School Catholic Message Board

College Education

Socrates

Which generally is best for Catholic students?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since we've recently had debates about homeschooling and boarding school . .

The question is:
What tends to produce the strongest Catholics:
Colleges with a strongly Catholic identity and orthodox Catholic teaching (such as Christendom, FUS, St. Thomas Aquinas, etc.)?
or secular or largely secularized colleges (often largely at odds with the Catholic Faith)?

(This question is basically aimed at Catholics. And please don't turn it into an argument about which Catholic school is best or "most Catholic")

I can only speak for my own, but I know many Catholics who have turned out stronger because of it.

Now I also know people from aTm who are also very strong Catholics.

:)

Ordinary universities seem like such a trap if you're not really, really strong already. Soooo many temptations, and so many people who care about nothing but having a good time.

:ohno:

Catholic college, definitely.

This thread was inspired by some posts in the past to the effect that Catholics needed to go to a school where they would be taught opposing viewpoints, or that going to "conservative" Catholic colleges breeds "intellectual stagnation" and the like.

Personally, I think the facts attest otherwise.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 20 2005, 06:21 PM']I can only speak for my own, but I know many Catholics who have turned out stronger because of it.

Now I also know people from aTm who are also very strong Catholics.

:)
[right][snapback]832185[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Stronger because of what?

Context, please!

Stronger because of the education/attending the school.

I guess I forgot to mention I go to the University of Dallas (a Catholic school). It's got a very strong education and religious formation is not lacking.

Anyways, I've known quite a few to go in as an average Catholic and finish (or rather are currently) much stronger Catholics.

What do you mean by strongly secular? If you mean rigor or something, then I can't really answer. Our's is a very rigorous set of studies. (I think we should be Ivy League...:P: But now I'm off topic). Pretty much, could you clarify if you mean in their studies or just secular in that they are not affiliated?

As a graduate of the very first Catholic Studies program in the US, I can tell you that a Catholic college is very important.

One of the things that should not be taken away though is the liberal aspect of college. One of the reasons that I am so strong in my faith and one of the reasons that I am such a strong debater is that I had to fight for my Catholic identity.

While the intention was not to shake my faith, I do believe that the college that I went to was into AmChurch at the time that I was there. That is one of the reasons that the Catholic Studies program was created; to bring an orthodox Catholic viewpoint back to the college.

With all that being said, the liberal aspect forces one to question his role within the Church. It makes it much easier to understand orthodoxy and it makes it easier to defend.

Just my thoughts.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 20 2005, 06:31 PM']Stronger because of the education/attending the school.

I guess I forgot to mention I go to the University of Dallas (a Catholic school).  It's got a very strong education and religious formation is not lacking.

Anyways, I've known quite a few to go in as an average Catholic and finish (or rather are currently) much stronger Catholics.
What do you mean by strongly secular?  If you mean rigor or something, then I can't really answer.  Our's is a very rigorous set of studies.  (I think we should be Ivy League...:P:  But now I'm off topic).  Pretty much, could you clarify if you mean in their studies or just secular in that they are not affiliated?
[right][snapback]832197[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I never used the phrase "strongly secular."

By "secular" I am referring to both secular colleges, and colleges where the true Catholic teaching is not largely found.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Dec 20 2005, 06:34 PM']As a graduate of the very first Catholic Studies program in the US, I can tell you that a Catholic college is very important.

One of the things that should not be taken away though is the liberal aspect of college.  One of the reasons that I am so strong in my faith and one of the reasons that I am such a strong debater is that I had to fight for my Catholic identity.

While the intention was not to shake my faith, I do believe that the college that I went to was into AmChurch at the time that I was there.  That is one of the reasons that the Catholic Studies program was created; to bring an orthodox Catholic viewpoint back to the college.

With all that being said, the liberal aspect forces one to question his role within the Church.  It makes it much easier to understand orthodoxy and it makes it easier to defend.

Just my thoughts.
[right][snapback]832200[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So do you think it better to go to a college where there is a lot of liberal heterodox teaching?

This only really seems to work for people who go in already very strong in their faith. If you look at the overwhelming statistics of those who lose their faith after attending liberal "Catholic" colleges . . .

[quote name='Cam42' date='Dec 20 2005, 07:34 PM']As a graduate of the very first Catholic Studies program in the US, I can tell you that a Catholic college is very important.
[right][snapback]832200[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

woah, where at? I am debating between 2 programs right now..a catholic studies one, and a dogmatic theology one. The school claims to have one of the first catholic studies programs in the world. its cool.

I think that ideally, a strong Catholic college is best. As for myself, I would have loved to attend one. My college is neither Catholic nor conservative, but I will say that I have had some very good professors (who either taught or studied at strong Catholic colleges previously).

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 20 2005, 07:25 PM']This thread was inspired by some posts in the past to the effect that Catholics needed to go to a school where they would be taught opposing viewpoints, or that going to "conservative" Catholic colleges breeds "intellectual stagnation" and the like.

Personally, I think the facts attest otherwise.
[right][snapback]832191[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
On the contrary, I think that a solid, strong Catholic education "breeds" great thinkers. At least that's what I've seen from Catholic colleges like the University of Dallas. I think there is more open-mindedness at that particular school than at my school, which tends to have very liberal professors.

I will say, though, that I have learned a lot from my professors, even the liberal ones! ;) It is difficult at times, especially when they don't share your faith or your understanding of truth (or even your understanding of reality at times :blink: ), but once you start to understand where they're coming from and how to speak their language, you can actually learn a lot about, well, the world and why some people act and think the way they do.

But if I had a choice, I would definitely go to a good, Catholic school with a solid curriculum. I've had to put up with a great deal of (often subtle) anti-Catholic remarks and teachings at school, and at times it has been challenging to my faith. I've learned from those experiences, but personally, I wouldn't really recommend someone go to a school like mine if he is not strong in his faith.

Catholic universities with orthodox curricula and professors rock, and I would say they are the best. But they are few and far between. There is a great need for good Catholic professors in this country. :)

I voted that in general, Catholic colleges are best for Catholic students. That being said, however, I also think it is important to recognize that strong Catholic colleges are certainly not the best for all Catholic students. I went to a completely secular college and it strengthened my faith immensely. Also, I think that often completely secular colleges are a better environment than nominal/heterodox Catholic colleges.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 20 2005, 08:43 PM']So do you think it better to go to a college where there is a lot of liberal heterodox teaching?

This only really seems to work for people who go in already very strong in their faith.  If you look at the overwhelming statistics of those who lose their faith after attending liberal "Catholic" colleges . . .
[right][snapback]832210[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No, I didn't say anything about heterodoxy. What I said was liberal. There is a difference. Being able to defend against liberal thought is totally different than defending against heterodox thought.

The college I went to was liberal, but it was not heterodox. Liberal thinking forces one to think through conservatism, into a more orthodox understanding of the faith.

If you always equate liberalism with heterodoxy, you will find yourself painted into a corner. Read John Henry Cardinal Newman. In order to come to the orthodox view that he eventually came to, he was very liberal in his thought, however, as he was becoming Catholic, he moved through conservatism into orthodoxy.

A strong Catholic University doesn't have to be conservative, it has to be orthodox. Liberalism can find a place, if it is authentic and serving the greater good.

Don't get caught in the liberal=heterodox trap. It is false and it is an inauthentic viewpoint.

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 20 2005, 08:44 PM']woah, where at? I am debating between 2 programs right now..a catholic studies one, and a dogmatic theology one. The school claims to have one of the first catholic studies programs in the world. its cool.
[right][snapback]832212[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I graduated from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN.