An Old School Catholic Message Board

Yeshua or Jesus?

PadreSantiago

lifescanticle

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Dec 20 2005, 06:07 PM']    Today's tradition of pronouncing His completely hellenized name as "Jesus" has indeed obscured His true name, "Yeshua," and has shifted its perceived meaning much like most of His original teachings.

[right][snapback]832122[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Which teachings have been had their meaning shifted? If you can answer that then you cllaim to have some teaching authority. How did you come by this authority?

This is why it is so important to have the Church as teaching authority.

The Church in English speaking countries refers to the Son of God as "Jesus" not "Yeshua" or anything else in almost every instance, both official and unofficial. Furthermore, in our English-language culture, the meaning of most name sis not apparent, and the meaning of names furthermore often has no meaning to that person.

For example, my name is Thomas. Thomas has no menaing in English. It's from Aramaic originally and it means "twin." I'm not a twin. I was named after my dad. He's not a twin either. The name Thomas does not seem connected to the term twin at all in English, and I didn't know it meant twin until I was 10 at least. Do I not have a real name? No, of course I do. This is how our culture works.

I really enjoy studying names for their ancient meanings, even when they don't have much relevance. My own name's 'meaning,' as given in Baby Name Books, is actually inaccurate and my name's real meanings include: a corruption of a Greek goddess of the dark moon, 'each of the two,' and the Christian meaning is 'torture.' Fun fun fun!
Seriously, 'Jesus', no matter how different it is from the original Hebrew, as a translation, would retain the same meaning of Savior. Like the various versions of, say, Margaret: Grete, Greejte, Greta, Gretel, Gretchen, Meg, Maeghan, Maisie, Malgorzota, Magali, Margaux, (Margo), Marjorie, Jorie, Maarit, Madge, Midge, Peggie, Perle, Reeta (Rita). And the ever-popular 'Margarita,' strange, but true, all still point to the same meaning: Pearl.
It would be cool if we could start referring to Him as the more proper Yeshua, but really - Jesus is so imbedded in the Christian mind it'd be a bit hard to uproot it. This isn't like changing the name of the Book of Ecclesiastes to the Book of That Really Awesome Song by the Birds.
Merry Chanukah - :) Namefully yours, Sraf

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 20 2005, 06:40 PM']thats cute..

i actually have a friend of mine whom is a messainic jew and he told me that Jesus doesnt hear our prayers cause we call him Jesus not yeshua..

i made a joke back about mary fixing the translation..he didnt laugh much
[right][snapback]832207[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

and thats just hilarious

Edited by Sirklawd

• 5 weeks later...

hmm what i dont get is that His name's so important we cant use it in vain but sure lets just change it because we don't feel like pronouncing it right

[quote]hmm what i dont get is that His name's so important we cant use it in vain but sure lets just change it because we don't feel like pronouncing it right[/quote]

Actually, it's more like it can't be pronounced correctly.
For example, there is no "sh" in Latin. Thus Yeshua becomes Yesus or rendered Iesus. Why the -us, ending? -a is often for a woman, and contrary to modern scholars Jesus was not a woman.
Another example. My Russian friends call me another name than my English name. Why? Because they don't have the ability to pronounce the English sounds. Do I mind? No, I like it and I feel as though I'm closer to them. Likewise, I'm sure Jesus feels closer to us.
This whole "Yeshua is better" idea is absolutly ridiculous.

I believe the proper and offocial name of God the Son is Iesus, pronounced "Yay-soos". I believe that is His proper and offocial name because it is His name in Latin and Latin is the language of the Church. Because the God (speciffically the Holy Ghost) guides the Church the Holy Ghost must have chosen Latin to be its languange and "Yay-soos" to be the offocial pronunciation of God the Son! because all churchy things (bibles, missals, canon law books, Papal Bulls, etc.) should be translated from the Offocial Latin, Iesus is translated rightfully as Jesus. The Holy Ghost guides the Church, right? so the Holy Ghost must have wanted it to be this way.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 2 2006, 05:10 PM']I believe the proper and offocial name of God the Son is Iesus, pronounced "Yay-soos". I believe that is His proper and offocial name because it is His name in Latin and Latin is the language of the Church. Because the God (speciffically the Holy Ghost) guides the Church the Holy Ghost must have chosen Latin to be its languange and "Yay-soos" to be the offocial pronunciation of God the Son! because all churchy things (bibles, missals, canon law books, Papal Bulls, etc.) should be translated from the Offocial Latin, Iesus is translated rightfully as Jesus. The Holy Ghost guides the Church, right? so the Holy Ghost must have wanted it to be this way.
[right][snapback]873483[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

just a question regarding this... is Latin the offical language of ALL the rites of the Catholic Church? Say the Greek Catholics, or Eatern Catholics? Greek seems to have had just as much role in the Church as a whole as Latin did...

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 2 2006, 06:44 PM']Think of all the money wasted on W.W.J.D. bracelets.  It's a tragedy.
[right][snapback]873505[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

LOL. And if we took ThomasMore's advice up above, it would be WWID.

Um, it's not about what "I" would do. :cool:

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 2 2006, 03:44 PM']Think of all the money wasted on W.W.J.D. bracelets.  It's a tragedy.
[right][snapback]873505[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hahaha :)

PadreSantiago

yes that's why I am selling my new patented W.W.Y.D braclets if you wore a wwjd braclet that is blashphemy in the eyes of the lord

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Feb 2 2006, 08:18 PM']yes that's why I am selling my new patented W.W.Y.D braclets if you wore a wwjd braclet that is blashphemy in the eyes of the lord
[right][snapback]873781[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
aha! The true purpose for this thread is finally revealed!

[quote]I believe the proper and offocial name of God the Son is Iesus, pronounced "Yay-soos". I believe that is His proper and offocial name because it is His name in Latin and Latin is the language of the Church. Because the God (speciffically the Holy Ghost) guides the Church the Holy Ghost must have chosen Latin to be its languange and "Yay-soos" to be the offocial pronunciation of God the Son! because all churchy things (bibles, missals, canon law books, Papal Bulls, etc.) should be translated from the Offocial Latin, Iesus is translated rightfully as Jesus. The Holy Ghost guides the Church, right? so the Holy Ghost must have wanted it to be this way.[/quote]
I hope you're being sarcastic. His name is however Jesus is translated into the langauge you're speaking. Call him Jesus, Yeshua, Iesus, Iesous, Isusu, Ye-Su. . They're the same person. When St. Peter and Paul baptize thousands, they did not do it in Latin, or Hebrew, but the language of the people. Again, to say otherwise is ridiculous, historically inaccurate, and boardering in heresy. (Remember the doctrine of "Three Holy Langauges" was condemend, although speculations do exist of theologuma). Still though, This thread is silly.
As William Shakespeare said, "If we call a rose by any other name would it smell as sweet?" "If we call Yeshua by any other name would he still bestow his grace?"
Of course he would.