An Old School Catholic Message Board

liberal/conservative media

photosynthesis

Are the media conservative or liberal?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

photosynthesis

although the media are not one giant monolithic entity... it's a collection of smaller organizations and sources. I'd say the majority of the American media are liberal, but it depends on the place and the time in history

I would say that the mass media in North America and in Europe is extremely secular, and therefore, liberal. The atheistic/agnostic wordview and moral relativism is widely presented as the norm. People and organizations who dissent from that norm are naturally shown in a negative light in the mass media.

Media outlets that identify themselves as conservative generally have a lot more respect for faith and religious people, and the traditional ethics and values that come from religious faith. Lines on moral issues are drawn clearly in the sand. They allow people of faith to have a voice in far greater numbers than the mass media does; the individuals who run the relatively small number of conservative magazines/newspapers/television stations, etc, usually are people of faith and their works reflect that.

The conservative media is really a fringe, almost a rebel movement. There aren't that many conservative media outlets out there; you have to search and dig.

Edited by Nathan

photosynthesis

i remember being in media/poli sci classes and when everyone talked about their final paper topics, there were always 5 or so people in the class that would say "I am going to write about fox news' conservative bias." and the professor always would say "couldn't you pick a more interesting topic than that?"

To me, the bigger problem than the political bent of members of the media is the fact that checks and balances in the media are few and far between. Who's watching the watchers? Many media outlets are, for all intents and purposes, monopolies. And things are reported so quickly that people don't take care to make sure that a) they understand what they're reporting and b) they get it right. I see it all the time.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 20 2005, 04:50 PM']exactly..  i think the media are less biased toward the left and to the right and more biased toward themselves
[right][snapback]831982[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Too true. We get all full of ourselves and think we're the shiznit.

Which is, of course, true.

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Dec 20 2005, 01:26 PM']Most media sources are not even handed at all, whether they are conservative or liberal politically.
[right][snapback]831894[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Everyone has an agenda, except me.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 20 2005, 04:31 PM']Everyone has an agenda, except me.
[right][snapback]832096[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolling:

Yer cute.

The media are socially liberal because of all the smut on there, but politically neo-conservative, because, well, the media are unfortunately owned by mega corporations who inhibit free speech and want right wing tax cuts. By utilizing sexual liberation, they give the people what their passions desire and they make money. They keep the money by controlling the stories that come out of their outlets, specifically ignoring anything anti-corporate.

It is sad, but in my eyes the mass media can only be counted on to broadcast the Pope's funeral Mass and the next terrorist attack or alien invasion.

If I had kids, I'd probably not own a TV and get my news from some trusty internet sites or local NPR stations. My uncle did it and my cousins are great people.

Edited by Antonius

[quote name='Antonius' date='Dec 20 2005, 06:17 PM']The media are socially liberal because of all the smut on there, but politically neo-conservative, because, well, the media are unfortunately owned by mega corporations who inhibit free speech and want right wing tax cuts.  By utilizing sexual liberation, they give the people what their passions desire and they make money.  They keep the money by controlling the stories that come out of their outlets, specifically ignoring anything anti-corporate.

It is sad, but in my eyes the mass media can only be counted on to broadcast the Pope's funeral Mass and the next terrorist attack or alien invasion.

If I had kids, I'd probably not own a TV and get my news from some trusty internet sites or local NPR stations.  My uncle did it and my cousins are great people.
[right][snapback]832183[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
FOX is the only politically "neo-conservative" Republican-leaning TV news outlet.
All the others are politically liberal.

People in national news media (both newpapers and TV) tend to be overwhelmingly politically liberal and Democrat.
That is not just a right wing conspiracy theory, but is repeatedly confirmed by surveys and polls of media personel's personal political views.

But the liberal stranglehold on the media is no longer as monolithic as it once was.

It's amusing how liberals were all about "free press" when they had a near-total monopoly on the media, but then began to scream and howl, first about Rush Limbaugh and conservative talk radio, and then about FOX news.

It seems that liberals like "free speech" only as long as they are the ones talking.

(And NPR tends to be politically VERY liberal, btw).

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 20 2005, 08:34 PM']FOX is the only politically "neo-conservative" Republican-leaning TV news outlet.
All the others are politically liberal.
[right][snapback]832202[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
interesting that the majority of the people who work at FOX News voted Dem...
is it possible that all the other networks are liberal to the point of being irresponsible ... but then FOX News is just reporting the news?
in contrast FOX really would seam "conservative"
but in reality they are simply being responsible