An Old School Catholic Message Board

believing in Santa Claus

photosynthesis

Isn't the figure of Santa based around St. Nicholas whos feast day was celebrated not long ago?

I understand that the story has been morphed many times, however I not sure that I would go as far as calling Santa a demon.

When dealing with things of such matters we must look at the virtues of the figure it self. Does the myth of Santa contain messages of evil that go agaist the teachings of Christ and His character? Or does the myth of Santa promote Christ and His Character.

Santa calls for children to be good, listen to their parents, do good to their neighbour, all year This appears to be Christ like attributes.

Or does the message of Santa call children to deny their parents authority, act how they want all year, dress how the want part take in immoral things (IE our daily TV and media does!)

I think that we can teach children the significance of Santa as honouring St. Nick, allowing that excitement to build as it should for the coming of Christ. However we need to teach that it is not Santa that brings this joy but Christ.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 20 2005, 01:34 AM']what did Chesterton say about Santa Claus?

and i see your point about introducing your children to the concept of grace...  however, i don't think this is how most families are teaching their children...
[right][snapback]831459[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you're right, I certainly don't think that Santa Claus is being done well in our time and place.

Thanks for motivating me to track down the quote; I am of course astonished at the poverty of my crappy little attempt to pass it on! Here's Chesterton:

[url="http://www.spiritualityhealth.com/newsh/excerpts/bookreview/excp_6767.html"]http://www.spiritualityhealth.com/newsh/ex.../excp_6767.html[/url]

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 20 2005, 01:33 AM']Well I was just wondering if you guys are translating "daemon" as demon.  I would personally say "spirit" but I guess it would mean about the same thing.
[right][snapback]831458[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you're right, "spirit" is a far better translation. But since we're talking about a daemon that isn't good, it's gotta be a demon.

Earthsea Annie

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 19 2005, 10:17 PM']but...  this um...  doesn't actually happen. [right][snapback]831336[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:shock:

WHAT!

It does SO actually happen.

I hold that the Santa Claus presented to the public at Christmastide is a rehashed fom of a pagan god, Odin of Valhalla, king of a daemonic pantheon. I would much prefer people celebrate the feastday of St Nicholas (dec 6) in memory of the 4th century Bishop of Myra rather than this idol who has obscured the true meaning of Christmas.

Personally I believe Odin worship is damaging for kids even if they do grow out of it. How does it enhance the Christmas experience? How does it teach them how much God loves them? The difference between reading a story to your kids like 'Lord of the Rings' and the Odin myth is that the children know the former is untrue. They can distinguish between fact and fiction and thus it is easy for them to draw out the kerygmatic message. With the 'Santa Claus' story they actually believe in this god and put their faith in him at a time of the year wherein faith in the redemptor of man should be being nurtured in their hearts.

The most important part of a kids' Christmas should be the Nativity play and carol singing. Not going to a department store to sit on the lap of someone who is impersonating the lord of Asgaard.

INXC
Myles

Myles, would you really go so far as to call it worship of Santa Claus?

And how is the Santa Claus of today REALLY equivalent to Odin? Even if he came out of it, what's the "dangerous connection" here?

And is there really a demon called Odin that took all the worship directed at Odin and is today taking all the admiration from children who believe in Santa Claus? That's highly disturbing if so.

This "Santa is Odin" (or the Devil, or whatever) stuff is a lot of Fundie silliness.

"Santa Claus" was an (anglo) American corruption of the Dutch "Sinter Klaus" or St. Nicholas.
The Dutch and German tradition of St. Nicholas giving gifts to children was borrowed by Americans of English descent (whose Puritan ancestors had generally avoided "Popish" celebrations such as Christmas or St. Nicholas Day) and changed and embellished these traditions into the modern Santa legend.

There is no solid record of ancient Norse Odin-worship "morphing" into Santa Claus.

This has the same level of credibility as those Fundie Protestant claims that Mary is a pagan goddess, or the Catholic Church is pagan Babylonian cult. (Or even those atheistic claims that Christianity is based on pagan mystery cults, and the Christ is really Apollo, or Horus, or whoever.)

I could really care less whether people have "Santa" or not, but these claims are just silly and ignorant. (Someone earlier linked to a Fundie "Santa = Satan" site, which of course even condemned the whole idea of there ever being a St. Nicholas as Pagan Roman Popery to ensnare the innocent.)

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 19 2005, 11:17 PM']ok, so some people believe that Santa Claus comes down the chimney every year to give presents to all the good girls and boys... he has a list, he checks it twice, blah blah blah

but...  this um...  doesn't actually happen.  I hope it's OK for me to say that Santa isn't real and that it's your mom and dad (or whoever) who gives the gifts and fills the christmas stockings.  It's just the way it is.

so...  why do we continue the myth year after year if it's not real?
[right][snapback]831336[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey, Santa's watching YOU!!!

SANTA IS REAL!

lifescanticle

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 20 2005, 12:17 AM']so...  why do we continue the myth year after year if it's not real?
[right][snapback]831336[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The real reason can be summed up by quoting from Fidler On The Roof:

Tradition!!!! Tradition!!!!

My parents taught it to me and their parents taught it to them. So I teach it to my children.
The joy that my children have had and that i recieve from giving is fantastic. In our household we emphysize the birth of Jesus as the real reason for giving to each other and to others

[quote name='Cathurian' date='Dec 20 2005, 07:09 PM']Myles, would you really go so far as to call it worship of Santa Claus?
[right][snapback]832126[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If so, then I guess you believe that we do worship Mary after all, huh?

santa clause was in Narnia! :P:

it's mythology. mythology is good, when not currupted by some modernist view that takes it all so seriously.