An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Relics

rkwright

Watching a History channel special tonight on the Shroud of Tourin and other relics from the Passion of Christ...

So what do you guys think? Authentic or inventions of the middle ages?

Shroud of Tourin, Crown of Throns (at Notre Dame), Relics of the True Cross (across the world), the Nails (somewhere in Italy? :idontknow: ) real or fakes?

Another one that got me was when I was in Cologne this summer (not for world youth day but for studies) was the claim that at the large cathedral they had the relics of the 3 wise men (I think our guide stressed the importance of having the full bodies! of each of the wise men..but it was all in german and may have gotten lost in the translation).

I think the shroud is pretty convincing, but the others... :idontknow: I can't see that anyone at the time would have thought to keep that stuff.

Whether the Shroud is an actual relic of the Passion or a fake, its an awe inspiring piece that reminds us of our Lord's Passion and how He suffered for our sins. I have a number of books that give an interesting scientific look into the Shroud and its image.

I've venerated a few relics of the Cross, and its an awesome experience. Someone studied all the official True Cross relics, and if they were combined, you'd only have the mass of 1/3rd of the whole cross.

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Dec 19 2005, 10:10 PM']Whether the Shroud is an actual relic of the Passion or a fake, its an awe inspiring piece that reminds us of our Lord's Passion and how He suffered for our sins. I have a number of books that give an interesting scientific look into the Shroud and its image.

I've venerated a few relics of the Cross, and its an awesome experience. Someone studied all the official True Cross relics, and if they were combined, you'd only have the mass of 1/3rd of the whole cross.
[right][snapback]831326[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

no doubt most of the relics do have the awe inspiring effect to convet some and enthuse others. But the question over veracity still applies.