An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope says Catholics, Orthodox must work for unity

Kismet

[url="http://www.cathnews.com/news/512/100.php"]http://www.cathnews.com/news/512/100.php[/url]

Pope says Catholics, Orthodox must work for unity

Catholics and Orthodox have a responsibility to work toward full unity in accordance with the will of Christ, Pope Benedict XVI has said.

Catholic News Service reports that he spoke on Thursday with a committee preparing for a full meeting of the international Catholic-Orthodox dialogue, the pope said he rejoiced at the desire to "take up again and pursue the dialogue which, over the past few years, had known serious internal and external difficulties."

The last meeting of the international Catholic-Orthodox dialogue was held in 2000 to discuss the role and theological implications of the agreements that led to the formation of the Eastern Catholic churches. That meeting ended without any conclusions or decisions agreeable to Orthodox and Catholics.

Fifteen autonomous Orthodox churches, meeting at the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople in Turkey, agreed in September that the dialogue should be restarted.

The decision, the pope told Orthodox and Catholic members of the preparatory committee, "constitutes a great responsibility. It is indeed a question of achieving the will of the Lord who wants his disciples to form a harmonious community and to witness together to the brotherly love that comes from the Lord."

Pope Benedict said, "in this new phase of dialogue," Catholics and Orthodox must work to eliminate the differences remaining between them and resolve "to do everything to re-establish full communion, which is an essential good for the community of Christ's disciples, as is underlined in the preparatory document you are working on."

The committee was meeting in Rome last week; a statement providing a brief history of the dialogue was released by the Vatican on Thursday, but it was not clear if further information would be published immediately. :saint:

That's great news!

L'union fait la force!
(Together we are stronger)

A good family should always stick together don't you agree?

Keep us posted as to developments if you can...

if we were to reunite with the orthodox, it would produce a powerful shockwave that might deal protestantism a death blow. I just don't see how protestants could escape the unity of the One True Church if it has both lungs to huff and puff and blow their straw houses down....

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Dec 19 2005, 11:19 AM']if we were to reunite with the orthodox, it would produce a powerful shockwave [right][snapback]830588[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

...even more than that...it would send a powerful message and witness to Islam, paganism and other religions... :saint:

Edited by Kismet

[quote name='Kismet' date='Dec 19 2005, 11:25 AM']...even more than that...it would send a powerful message and witness to Islam, paganism and other religions... :saint:
[right][snapback]830592[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That I like....

Please wait a moment while I smile to myself...
:)

Ok, that's done.

Now,
Forgive my ignorance but;

How big si the Orthgodox group? I mean how many faithfuls are we talking about?

[quote name='Didacus' date='Dec 19 2005, 11:55 AM']How big is the Orthgodox group?  I mean how many faithfuls are we talking about?
[right][snapback]830605[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

According to a Franciscan source:

65% of Christendom is Catholic
25% is Orthadox
10% is Protestant

65% + 25% = An Excellent Christmas Present... :saint:

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i think many protestants (like chick) would see that as " The move toward the global church is called the "ecumenical movement." Spearheaded by the Roman Catholic Church, it is designed to bring all churches under the influence of the pope."

which they see as predicated to happen in revelation.

Wow! We'd be pulling 90%!

But that's like 1.55 billion!

On top of all that, it would also give a signal to 'cafeteria catholics' that being a faithful Catholic is a little more than just going to church and saying a prayer or two at X-mas and Easter!

Tonight's Rosary will be for this re-unification!

But I must note; we are being very very hopeful here - and that's good. But let's take note that such sizeable things do not happen over night... It might be a few years still before we see anything concrete happen... but BOO-YAAA! Imagine the party when it did!

Prayers and a cup of wine tonight... And God bless the papa!