2. By command.
3. By consent.
4. By provocation.
5. By praise or flattery.
6. By concealment.
7. By partaking.
8. By silence.
9. By defense of the ill done

lets pretened we live in mexico, where the friday abstinence is still required. I don't tell my parents that they should abstain from meat. am i an accessory to their mortal sin? have i commited one myself? what about honoring thy father and Mother?

I think you should inform them. If you really lived in Mexico! H/e i'm a hypocrit because my friend said that he wouldn't be able to do the hour fast before Christmas Eve Mass and I didn't say anything about it.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i hate correcting people, especially my family. i would have to correct everyone all day.

those clothes are inipropriate

that is bad launguage

Hey you preaching Modernism!

Honor thy Father and Mother!

Eat ur brussle sprouts.

am i really spoused to point out to each person their sin?

It wouldn't be mortal would it? I mean they don't know in the first place. :)

The other question is if this is actually a grave matter...

:idontknow:

At some point, correcting people only hardens their hearts. If it's something they ought to know, and they have plenty of resources to find out, I don't think you necessarily need to mention it.

A lot of people know well enough what, say, the Church says they ought to do, but they don't care. Pointing it out to them isn't really correcting them. It's nagging.

If they don't know, and they'd want to, then yes TELL THEM!

[quote name='philothea' date='Dec 18 2005, 08:42 PM']:idontknow:

A lot of people know well enough what, say, the Church says they ought to do, but they don't care.  Pointing it out to them isn't really correcting them.  It's nagging.
[right][snapback]830171[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sadly I know a lot of people that when they're told this about the Church (no meat on Fridays) they say that's just an old practice and it's not important. :(

And they would ignore Canon Law too. :idontknow:

:ninja:

Hmm...prudence would be good here. I wish I had more...

It actually depends on how you approach it. I asked my family if we could start having fish on Fridays because I wanted to start doing that...at first they thought I was a little odd. Then after a year or two of somehow finding my way out of all meat on Fridays they started fixing more fish. :)

Though I just mentioned it in the beginning and so as not to upset my mother I'd do an act of penance.

Long story short, I corrected through example. :)

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 18 2005, 07:46 PM']so when is the point i should correct or not correct?
[right][snapback]830180[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well... (and not that you should listen to me, really :rolleyes:)... this is what I do.

Correct anyone on a serious matter. But most people do not need this. Always be charitable and tactful.

Correct your superiors on less serious matters, but be REALLY TACTFUL. Mention "I can't eat meat, because it's Friday" to your parents, and they should get the hint. If not, it's not your place to hound them.

Correct a peer, charitably, but continue only if he or she seems to benefit.

:idontknow:

Anyone with better ideas, do tell. :)