An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gluttony

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:32 PM']Gluttony:

When is it venial?

When is it mortal?
[right][snapback]830062[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'd say gluttony is usually venial when it just involves having a bit too much to eat or drink.
It would become mortal when it seriously endangers one's life or health, or in the case of drunkeness where one loses control of one's reason, or in obscene extremes such as involving the use of vomitariums.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 18 2005, 07:41 PM']I'd say gluttony is usually venial when it just involves having a bit too much to eat or drink.
It would become mortal when it seriously endangers one's life or health, or in the case of drunkeness where one loses control of one's reason, or in obscene extremes such as involving the use of vomitariums.
[right][snapback]830071[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ok. what would constitute endangering one's life or health

would generally eating a litte too much many times constitute as that?

how about if one eats to the point of being slightly overweight?

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:44 PM']ok. what would constitute endangering one's life or health

would generally eating  a litte too much many times constitute as that?

[right][snapback]830076[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm sorry I really don't have an authoritative answer on this. It's more a matter of judgment and prudence than always a hard fast line (such as exactly how much needs to be stolen for a theft to be mortal sin).

But basically, if it makes you seriously ill or requires a trip to the hospital, it's probably mortal. (Drinking until you pass out, or deliberately eating or drinking until you puke.)
And if your habitual overeating results in serious obesity or health problems, you definitely need to seek help. (Though I couldn't say whether each time is a mortal sin - this probably depends on the person's intent. If a person is knowingly and willfully destroying his health, this may be grave matter.)

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:44 PM']ok. what would constitute endangering one's life or health

would generally eating  a litte too much many times constitute as that?

[right][snapback]830076[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
A lot of venial sins in themselves do not make up a mortal sin. What may happen, though, is that repititious venial sins may make it easier to succumb or develop a tendency to mortal sinning.

Slightly overweight is not mortally sinful. One must remember that a mortal sin is something that is contrary to the law of God and seperates you from His grace. It is choosing yourself above and beyond your choice for God. While overeating is indeed a sin against temperance, unless it is grave it is not mortal.

That is just my 2 cents though...

Ash Wednesday

I also think that a certain underlying disposition exists that would cause someone to become gluttonous to the point of it being mortally sinful. I think on many occasions, because of despair. Drinking to mask pain, and overeating or chain smoking -- living wrecklessly and disregarding one's own health to the point where it's like a slow, deliberate suicide.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Dec 19 2005, 11:23 AM']I also think that a certain underlying disposition exists that would cause [i]someone to become gluttonous to the point of it being mortally sinful[/i]. I think on many occasions, because of despair. Drinking to mask pain, and overeating or chain smoking -- living wrecklessly and disregarding one's own health to the point where it's like a slow, deliberate suicide.
[right][snapback]830590[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No one lives in a state that necessitates sin. That would be the equivalent of saying that God put you in a position that you had [i]no choice [/i]but to seperate yourself from Him.

Perhaps I misunderstood you?

endangering life or health:
- certainly anything that has immediate, permanent damage: poisons, swallowing razor blades, etc.
- deliberately Ignoring diet restrictions on a regular basis for diabetes, hypoglycemia, heart patients, etc.
- certainly regular knowledgeable eating to the point of vomiting... bingeing
- taking drugs for conditions you don't have
- knowingly mixing drugs (legal or illegal) that don't work together well or have increased effect together.