An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Ratzinger

qfnol31

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 17 2005, 09:39 PM']Just trying to get a better understanding...does that align so far?
[right][snapback]829200[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='Rick777' date='Dec 18 2005, 02:43 AM']Does anyone know if John Kerry has spoken about not being able to recieve the Holy Eucharist
[right][snapback]829653[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You know...I've not seen anything on this for a while. :idontknow:

Guest JeffCR07

neither have I, it would be interesting to see whats happening now. I'd like to think that politicians who support abortion are still being refused communion.

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Dec 18 2005, 01:04 PM']neither have I, it would be interesting to see whats happening now. I'd like to think that politicians who support abortion are still being refused communion.
[right][snapback]829774[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Moi aussi. :)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='(Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church #468)'][b]What is the purpose of punishment?[/b]

A punishment imposed by legitimate public authority has the aim of redressing the disorder introduced by the offense, of defending public order and people's safety, and contributing to the correction of the guilty party.[/quote]
[i]CCC #2266[/i]

[quote name='(Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church #469)'][b]What kind of punishment may be imposed?[/b]

The punishment imposed must be proportionate to the gravity of the offense.  Given the possiblities which the State has for effectively preventing crime by rendering the one who has committed an offnsed incapable of doing harm, the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity "are very rare, if practically non-existent."  (Evangelium Vitae)  When non-lethal means are sufficent, authority should limit itself to such means because they better correspond to the concrete conditions of the common good, are more in conformity with the dignity of the human person, and do not remove definitively from the guilty party the possibility of reforming himself.[/quote][i]CCC #2267[/i]

Gee, that sounds familiar, and it is from Pope Benedict's commission......I have been saying this for a year now.....is this enough or are people going to continue to hold out against the prudential judgment of the Church?

AngelofJesus

I think catholic proponents of the penalty are hanging on to the "very rare" and "practically" part of CCC#2267 to show that it is endorsed or approved by the Magisterium. They must think it is permissible .001% of the time and considered wrong 99.999% of the time. In which case.001% is an approval(in their mind).

[quote name='Azriel' date='Dec 16 2005, 07:50 PM']Does any one else see this going downhill REALLY REALLY fast.  I mean faster than Clark Griswald on a metallic saucer sled.[right][snapback]828687[/snapback][/right][/quote]:thumbsup: :ohno: unfortunately, yes