An Old School Catholic Message Board

High Treason

Brother Adam

I know this has to do with another thread, but in a way it is separate.

So in theory:

What do you believe is a just punishment for committing high treason? For instance, if I am guilty of leaking information regarding the war in Iraq to insurgents that leads directly to the death of thousands of US soldiers, should I be punished? What is an appropriate punishment?

This is complete conjecture, not having to do with any real case. And we are assuming the party in question is guilty.

The punishment for high treason should fit the crime. If you take a life, then yours should be taken. This may mean that you spend the rest of your life in jail, but these are serious crimes.

crazymaine catholic

that's a really hard call to make. the punishment should fit the crime, but no one deserves death. it would seem that the only way death would be a necessity is if the criminal in question would pose a threat to life no matter where they are. if the threat can be diminished by jailing as oppposed to killing, that would be the better option i would think. but, since preservation of life would come into play, i think that if the criminal continues to actively threaten human life, then perhaps death is the way to go...man, hard question. <_<

I study under the daughter of the second worst traitor in history.

I'm glad he's only in jail for a long, long time. I think that's most appropriate. :)

Laudate_Dominum

Traditionally it has been something like hanging or firing squad. I guess some places did decapitation for a while.
I think people guilty of treason should be marooned on a small desert island with nothing but a pistol with one shot.

Of course they could wade in the shallows for three days and three nights until all manner of sea creatures become acclimated to their presence. Then they could rope a couple of sea turtles, lash them together and make a raft.

I'm not sure what to do with traitors who have really hairy backs. :idontknow:

What about the idea of 'suspended' death sentences. to say that this crime deserves the death sentence, but because of our respect for life, you will receive life in prison without the possibility of parole?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 16 2005, 12:00 PM']Of course they could wade in the shallows for three days and three nights until all manner of sea creatures become acclimated to their presence. Then they could rope a couple of sea turtles, lash them together and make a raft. [right][snapback]828251[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Too risky...

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 16 2005, 02:00 PM']I think people guilty of treason should be marooned on a small desert island with nothing but a pistol with one shot.

Of course they could wade in the shallows for three days and three nights until all manner of sea creatures become acclimated to their presence. Then they could rope a couple of sea turtles, lash them together and make a raft.
[right][snapback]828251[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
LOL

Wait, am I the only one getting the reference??? :idontknow:

crazymaine catholic

gotta love pirates of the carribean...that's the reference right? i haven't watched it in a while. :P: and yes, suspended death penalty...interesting idea.