An Old School Catholic Message Board

Boarding School

photosynthesis

photosynthesis

I know there's already a thread posted about homeschooling, but I thought I'd start one about boarding school.

When I was little I thought that boarding schools were a thing of the past. Then I got to college and realized that these things still exist. What do you guys think about boarding school? My aunt is considering sending my younger cousin to boarding school. She is 14, but she looks 24 and she already has had a few boyfriends. Her mom is worried that she will become a promiscuous teenager so she wants to send her off to boarding school, but the rest of my family (myself included) thinks that it's a bad idea because all this girl needs is a mother to keep an eye on her.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 15 2005, 04:19 AM']I know there's already a thread posted about homeschooling, but I thought I'd start one about boarding school.

When I was little I thought that boarding schools were a thing of the past.  Then I got to college and realized that these things still exist.  What do you guys think about boarding school?  My aunt is considering sending my younger cousin to boarding school.  She is 14, but she looks 24 and she already has had a few boyfriends.  Her mom is worried that she will become a promiscuous teenager so she wants to send her off to boarding school, but the rest of my family (myself included) thinks that it's a bad idea because all this girl needs is a mother to keep an eye on her.
[right][snapback]826514[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
So girls in boarding schools don't have sex? What do they do, put chastity belts on them ala "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"?

I'm sure there are good reasons to send a kid off to boarding school, but avoiding promiscuity doesn't strike me as one of them.

lifescanticle

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 15 2005, 03:19 AM']I know there's already a thread posted about homeschooling, but I thought I'd start one about boarding school.

When I was little I thought that boarding schools were a thing of the past.  Then I got to college and realized that these things still exist.  What do you guys think about boarding school?  My aunt is considering sending my younger cousin to boarding school.  She is 14, but she looks 24 and she already has had a few boyfriends.  Her mom is worried that she will become a promiscuous teenager so she wants to send her off to boarding school, but the rest of my family (myself included) thinks that it's a bad idea because all this girl needs is a mother to keep an eye on her.
[right][snapback]826514[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am sure boarding schools have there place. I view them as a last resort to parenting. Envolved parenting is always best. It is a full time job and it is difficult. As a father of 3 daughters I have to ask the question, "why does a 14 year old look like a 24 year old?"
I realize that society has tremendous effects on our youth. Part of my role as a parent is to be a buffer between society and my children. Some of the latest fashions are not appropriate for a 14 year old. I step in and say so. My wife and I are clear about how we expect our children to behave [b]and[/b] we try to always reflect it in our actions. So our 18 year old looks like an 18 year old.

[quote name='lifescanticle' date='Dec 15 2005, 07:35 AM']I am sure boarding schools have there place. I view them as a last resort to parenting. Envolved parenting is always best. It is a full time job and it is difficult. As a father of 3 daughters I have to ask the question, "why does a 14 year old look like a 24 year old?"
I realize that society has tremendous effects on our youth. Part of my role as a  parent is to be a buffer between society and my children. Some of the latest fashions are not appropriate for a 14 year old. I step in and say so. My wife and I are clear about how we expect our children to behave [b]and[/b] we try to always reflect it in our actions. So our 18 year old looks like an 18 year old.
[right][snapback]826614[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I teach the a middle school CCD class here in town and some of the girls dress in very similar styles to the high students from my home town or the college students here, it is really sad. When I was 13 the girls weren't trying to see who can dress more "sexy" then who.

As for boarding school, I am not sure that will help. If it were my daughter I would want to keep her near me so I could be more aware of what is going on as opposed to trusting a boarding school, a la Ramsgate (sorry, couldn't help myself), take care of her. While a board school might offer the change in enviroment that could let her change, I know people who here on campus have habits, etc, that they can't break but as soon as they get off campus they have no problem, but I wouldn't be comforatable sending my child that I am concerned about away from me.

I think boarding schools definitely have a place, but I don't think it should be a substitute for parents when then parents are exasperated. I know quite a few kids who have gone to boarding school to discern consecrated life, and for them it has brought them closer to their family than ever, even though they are physically separated.

daugher-of-Mary

If the teen is "troubled," then a definite no. That would be an escapist route on the part of the parents. Discernment houses are another matter, but I think even in that situation, a lot of prayer and thought would have to go into the decision. So much of our "formation" and preparation for adulthood occurs within the home...the "domestic Church." This is, of course, coming from a 17 year old who has never been a parent. ;)

*break for random Sound of Music quote :guitar: *

The Baroness: "Darling, haven't you ever heard of a delightful little thing called boarding school?"

*I now return you to your reguarly scheduled debate*

Earthsea Annie

[quote name='Thumper' date='Dec 15 2005, 11:30 AM']*break for random Sound of Music quote  :guitar: *

The Baroness: "Darling, haven't you ever heard of a delightful little thing called boarding school?"

*I now return you to your reguarly scheduled debate*
[right][snapback]826934[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Great. Now I have "The hills are alive with the sound of music" stuck in my head.

I wonder if Theologian_in_Training will have anything to say. IIRC, his current parish has no children... they're all off in boarding schools.

Like homeschooling, or any other schooling, there are good and bad boarding schools. I think it depends on the kid and the school.
I know a lot of guys who went to Catholic all-boys boarding school, and it seems to over-all be a positive influence.

However, at their worst, boarding schools can be dumping grounds for rich trouble-making kids into drugs and whatnot, whose parents don't want to dael with them.

homeschoolmom

You take the good... You take the bad...

You take 'em both and there you have:

[img]http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/shows/facts.jpg[/img]