An Old School Catholic Message Board

The all-purpose Snarf thread

Snarf

[quote name='Snarf' date='Jan 28 2006, 09:29 PM']As evidenced elsewhere, my faith in God is rock-solid.  However, [i]my faith in the soul has long been faltering[/i].  [b]If it's not eternal[/b], it's simply superfluous.  That's my connundrum.
[right][snapback]868840[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ah, is that what you've been going on about? You need to be able to boil your theories down to bite-sized pieces if you're going to be any fun at cocktail parties. Your physics learnin' is leading you to believe that the soul does not exist for eternity?

Edited by Cow of Shame

Desert Walker

[quote]"Most of these comments were made to be as vague as possible..."

-- Snarf[/quote]

[quote]"...[T]he modern mind is as averse to precision in ideas as it is enamored of precison in measurement."

-- Hilaire Belloc[/quote]

Edited by Desert Walker

Desert Walker

[quote name='Snarf' date='Jan 31 2006, 07:14 AM']Yeah, well, try to cogitate on the Schödinger equation as concretely as possible and you might see why.
[right][snapback]870837[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, I'm sure the guy was able to state the primary CONCLUSION to his equation. What is it btw? I'm curious. :huh:

Wasn't he the one who determined that one or the other the fundamental descriptions "particle" and "wave" of the known "elementary constituents" of physical reality (like electrons) was not ALWAYS displayed by those constituents? :unsure:

That's right, the SE describes how a particle can be defined as a wave. You can observe an electron or other elementary particle as a wave, or a particle, but never both at the same time. That's where it gets [i]weird[/i].

Desert Walker

Have you read this book?

[i]Cosmos and Transcendence: Breaking the Barrier of Scientistic Belief[/i]

The author is a mathematician and philosopher by the name of Wolfgang Smith. He helped figure out the re-entry problem for space capsules.

Edited by Desert Walker