An Old School Catholic Message Board

Home Schooling

Church Punk

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 19 2005, 12:16 PM']I guess you might conclude that homeschoolers fall into that catagory known as "human" with faults, foibles and talents just like the rest in that catagory...
[right][snapback]830583[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I would tip my hat to you . . . if I had a hat.

Hmmm ... interesting debate. I've been to all kinds of schools, in several countries ... publich school in Canada and England, Waldorf schools in the US and England, diocesan schools in the US, private schools run by French nuns and European priests in the US, and homeschooled in the US and Belize. I now attend a Catholic university that has a very rigorous curriculum and tough professors (and I've been on the Dean's list every semester and made the National Dean's List every year). Both of my parents have taught, in private and diocesan schools.

I won't make an across the board statement about homeschooling. For some kids, it may be the best thing. With an outside curriculum and help it can work (like Kolbe Academy, which my brother used -- he's now at Notre Dame and doing well ... but he went to as many schools as I did!). I know students at my univeristy who were homeschooled and are doing well. I also know some I'm not very impressed with. I know some (not at my univeristy) who are pretty close to being miserable failures.

The point is, I don't think homeschooling is ideal, though for some kids in some situations it could work. My ideal would be an orthodox Catholic school ... *sigh* ... and nuns with rulers ;)

I'm a believer in tough love, and think kids learn a lot from the "playground jungle." Too often I see homeschool kids being protected by neurotic parents -- and the kids end up without any backbone. Again, this isn't an across the board statement, just some observations. If homeschooling makes a boy grow up into a man (and not just a male), great -- but I haven't seen much proof. Girls, I think, are better suited for homeschooling than boys, for multiple reasons ...

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Dec 19 2005, 11:04 AM']Actually Matt Most of the Home Schoolers at our school were drunkereds...I can think of three that got women pregnant outside of marriage...certainly when they were friends with me, my life was extra full of drama.

However, it does seem that other home schoolers are models of virtue.
[right][snapback]830568[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I can name quite a few at BC that were not so. Phil and the Family Stone, Ropers, Boevers...

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 20 2005, 02:19 PM']More than half the people I know at my school were homeschooled at some point or another.  :)
[right][snapback]831953[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

More than half? Really?

[quote name='TheoGrad07' date='Dec 19 2005, 01:40 PM']I'm a believer in tough love, and think kids learn a lot from the "playground jungle."  Too often I see homeschool kids being protected by neurotic parents -- and the kids end up without any backbone.  Again, this isn't an across the board statement, just some observations.  If homeschooling makes a boy grow up into a man (and not just a male), great -- but I haven't seen much proof.  Girls, I think, are better suited for homeschooling than boys, for multiple reasons ...
[right][snapback]830736[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Are you implying that every guy who was homeschooled is unmanly and "lacking any backbone"?

I think this is a false and somewhat inflamatory comment. (Even if not intended as an "across the board statement.")

I think it is best that homeschooled boys to be involved in sports or similar "manly" activity.
During my homeschooled years I played football and got into fights with other boys, took karate, played on a soccer team, and lifted weights.

Homeschoolers need not be spineless, overprotected sissies.
And I don't think being in a godless sex-and-drugs atmosphere is necessary for "growing into a man." (Much as many seem to think so.)

[quote]Are you implying that every guy who was homeschooled is unmanly and "lacking any backbone"?[/quote]

LoL!

Her experience includes people like me. ;)

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 20 2005, 08:59 PM']LoL!

Her experience includes people like me.  ;)
[right][snapback]832323[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
TheoGrad's a "she"???

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 20 2005, 08:59 PM']LoL!

Her experience includes people like me.  ;)
[right][snapback]832323[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Haha ... yeah, Q, you're enough to convince me real men don't exist any more! ;)

Socrates --
"Are you implying that every guy who was homeschooled is unmanly and "lacking any backbone"?"

No, I'm not, and I don't intend it to be inflammatory. :( And no, I don't think being in a "godless sex-and-drugs atmosphere" is necessary to be a man.

As you said, I agree boys should be involved in "manly" activities. No, homeschoolers don't need to be and are not necessarily spineless and overprotected sissies. Unfortunately, though, I've seen many homeschool parents who over-protect their kids (especially their sons).

I grew up in a pretty "protected" environment, and am very grateful for it. This isn't intended to be provocative or inflammatory. I think it's a very difficult balance to strike between "mom" (or "dad") and "teacher."

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 20 2005, 09:10 PM']TheoGrad's a "she"???
[right][snapback]832336[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yep Socrates ... I'm a "she" ... :) What made you think otherwise?

• 4 years later...

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='13 December 2005 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1134510412' post='823874']
I was homeschooled and I will homeschool my children (when they start poppin' out).
[/quote]
what a lovely phrase :rolleyes:

SaintOfVirtue

I'm home-schooled and I am teaching myself computer engineering and programming. No joke. :mellow: