An Old School Catholic Message Board

Home Schooling

Church Punk

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 13 2005, 05:17 PM']Homeschooling is only worth what you put into it.
[right][snapback]824065[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You are right, Socrates. However this is true for ALL forms of education. If I go to a public school and put no effort into it, I am going to get nothing out of it. Same with private schools and colleges.

[quote name='Christie_M' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:18 PM']Nnnooooo!!! lol

and mom was just here! do you know where that topic "missing phatmassers" went? she doesn't beleive me that she's on it. lol
[right][snapback]824409[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Off topic, i didn't even know your mom posted on here :luigi:

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:38 PM']Her mom is Margarita.
[right][snapback]824455[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

wow i had no idea :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Guest Rick777

I went to public school until the 10th grade, i loved going to school and being around all the different people, going to dances, friday night games......etc......but that was the problem for me. I was way to social and my grades were slipping, getting homeschooled is probably the best academic decision ive ever made. im learning more than i know i ever could have in a regular high school, and just because i dont learn with everyone else doesnt mean i can never see them.

grades arent all there is to life though ;)

I did not drive. and I lived on the other side of town from my school.. so being in School, was just about the only time I got to see these people.

if you can pull off the homeschool thing.. fine.. but in some situations such as mine.. it was definatly good to be out of the house taht 6 hours or so

Guest Rick777

in ur case yah, if you feel the need to be in school then u should be able to go, homeschooling wont really work out if the parent is forcing their child into it.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 13 2005, 09:43 PM'] i would be interested in seeing someone who had a wonderful time in public/private school and was convicted in their belief that they should homeschool their children.
[right][snapback]824324[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:bye:

franciscanheart

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 14 2005, 06:14 AM']:bye:
[right][snapback]824771[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:D: very cool.

Growing up, I had a taste of a little bit of everything. I was homeschooled kindergarten and 1st grades, went to private Christian (not Catholic) schools 2-5, then homeschooled 6, then public 7-12.

The worst transition was from homeschool to public school. I didn't do well in homeschool the second time around. I've always been pretty competitive, and having other kids around was a great academic motivator for me. WIthout them I got lonely and bored. But going into a new, small public school, where all the kids have known each other since kindergarten and half of them are related to each other is just difficult, particularly in junior high, and particularly when you've been home/private schooled up until then. School was really awful for about three years.

All that said, I'm not sure where I'll come down on education for my own children. That would be influenced by many, many factors, including the quality of the schools available, whether or not I need to work, and whether I'd really be the best person to teach my kids. I'm not a very good teacher ... :idontknow:

I went to public school all the way through. There was no way my parents could have homeschooled me, and no way they ever would have considered it either, lol. My experience had it's ups and downs, partly becasue we moved a lot at times , and I was often unpopular. Grades 5-10 though I was in the same district, and by 7th grade when I could start joining school clubs and visit friends more outside of school, I started to really enjoy it. Grades 11 and 12 I moved away and then back. Often things weren't too happy home, and I prefered to be at school. In 12th grade I would stay after for clubs, and then a teacher would let me stay in her room and do homework and use her computer and I would often stay as late as 8pm until I'd walk home, lol.

At the non-denom church I attended before, almost everyone homeschooled, which is why I was able to comment earlier. The kids at that church were on average, very smart and better students than their public school peers, and were much better behaved. They were also a bit odd, because the parents at my church were sure to soicalized them, but only with kids whose parents thought exactly the same way they did on everything and homeschooled their kids to be carbon-copies of themselves. Not all homeschoolers do that, I know, they did though.

Well I think one major advantage to attending a public school (being public board or Catholic board) is that it kind of toughens you up for the real world. Getting stuffed in lockers is part of a social learning process. You learn how to stand up for your self and not let people push you around.

It is hard out in the real world, and if people plan on being sucessful or even squeek by they need to be tough. You get pushed around so much.