An Old School Catholic Message Board

Home Schooling

Church Punk

Im personally hppy I never was homeschooled.. because I knew hardly anyone outside of my school and youth group.. and I was also an only child for quite a long time.

That and I think its great to be able to support my Alma Mater in athletics and stuff like that.. Go Elyria Pioneers!.. sports is a big part of my life.. so to be able to get behind someone and still go to the games and stuff.. its great. some of you might not find this as a good enough reason to want to go to a regular school, but I very much do. Was awesome when I was seeing my own friends compete

[quote]My public shcool socialization was a nightmare. And I only went untill the 6th grade.[/quote]

Mine was fine. There's no doubt that there are kids who can't adjust in school, for whatever reason. (Not to say you couldn't adjust). But that's life. There'll be kids who can't adjust in anything, including life itself.

[quote]It's unique all right. You only talk to "your friends", you cannot talk to anybody not in your grade, if a younger sibling and her friends talk to you and you talk back, you are shunned. There isn't real socialization.[/quote]

I never had any problem talking with anyone.

[quote]I have been to many state wide youth conferences. I have friends all over the state.
Lots of times I am so busy that my parents don't really see me for weeks; they drop me off, pick up. Some times I am actually gone for weeks at a time. (Doing social stuff and extra curricular stuff like sending the Governor proposals) [/quote]

That's cool. That's what you do. That wasn't life for me. Just a regular city kid. Went to school. Had friends. Hung out with friends. Lived a normal life.

Perhaps preferences are shaped through personal history. I was not Catholic growing up. There was no conscious attempt to "keep" me from the the dangers associated with public school. Like I said, I lived my life, made mistakes, had friends, whatever. That's more or less my outlook on life. You have to get out there. Homeschooling is foreign to me.

But, nevertheless, I respect homeschooling.

Edited by Era Might

franciscanheart

i would say for the most part the views on whether or not homeschooling is the way to go IS due in large part to your own personal history. it is important to understand that those who had a hard time in school might be more likely to lean towards homeschooling their children than putting them into an established school. i think it is the family who decides to do the complete opposite despite their own positive experiences but not simply to try it out. i would be interested in seeing someone who had a wonderful time in public/private school and was convicted in their belief that they should homeschool their children.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 13 2005, 08:43 PM'] .....i would be interested in seeing someone who had a wonderful time in public/private school and was convicted in their belief that they should homeschool their children.
[right][snapback]824324[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
then you could ask my future husband. lol I'm going to homeschool, most likly he would not want to. we'll see who will win. (I will of course!)

franciscanheart

[quote name='Christie_M' date='Dec 13 2005, 09:47 PM']then you could ask my future husband. lol I'm going to homeschool, most likly he would not want to. we'll see who will win. (I will of course!)
[right][snapback]824327[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:huh: is this an arranged marriage? (side note: where is your momma?)

I went to catholic highschool, and have a cousin who is being homeschooled right now. The families have gotten in some arguments over all of it... Like you said hes not isolated, and plays sports and does youth group... but him, and the other homeschooled kids I've met (in highschool I haven't met any while at college) just have something different socially about them.

Here are some things I really enjoyed at my highschool that my cousin being homeschooled will never experience.

1- Friday night football games. Even in the snow cheering on a terrible high school football team because its the only time you can really hang out with your friends outside of class when you can't drive.
2- School dances, from freshman mixers to senior prom...
3- Lockers, the rush of trying to get to class on time, talking with friends in the halls
4- Those teachers that everyone hates but everyone has. Or those 'yearly' projects; my freshman year it was the latin project, senior year the dreaded 25 page economics project
5- Sports, going to state, going to nationals with a close group of friends, letter jackets
6- Mass for 1,200 kids. amazing
7- School pep rallys...sometimes lame sometimes a lot of fun

Hes not going to have the bad days I had either; feeling lonely sometimes, having too much work and sports interfering, getting involved in a nasty food fight!!

All in all it was worth every second of it and I feel sad that he'll miss it.

missionseeker

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:35 PM']Perhaps preferences are shaped through personal history. I was not Catholic growing up. There was no conscious attempt to "keep" me from the the dangers associated with public school. Like I said, I lived my life, made mistakes, had friends, whatever. That's more or less my outlook on life. You have to get out there. Homeschooling is foreign to me.

But, nevertheless, I respect homeschooling.
[right][snapback]824315[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My parents are(were) not trying to "keep" me from anything. They wanted me to learn to think on my own, not be the typical cookie cutter version of kids that schools around here (note, I qualified that :P: ) are turning out. My mom drives a bus for the city schools around here, and she had a 17 year old who was complaining about a stupid law they just passed here (which would, of course, affect her doing something) she told the girl "Well, pay attention in your American Gov. class and learn what we do and how it works and vote people who make stupid laws like that out of office." No one ever told that girl that what she was "learning" actually had something to do with real life.

franciscanheart

[quote name='missionseeker' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:00 PM']My parents are(were)  not trying to "keep" me from anything. They wanted me to learn to think on my own, not be [b]the typical cookie cutter version of kids that schools around here[/b] [i](snip)[/i] [b]are turning out[/b]. My mom drives a bus for the city schools around here, and she had a 17 year old who was complaining about a stupid law they just passed here (which would, of course, affect her doing something) she told the girl "Well, pay attention in your American Gov. class and learn what we do and how it works and vote people who make stupid laws like that out of office." No one ever told that girl that what she was "learning" actually had something to do with really life.
[right][snapback]824346[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
here's another one.

missionseeker

[quote]1- Friday night football games.  Even in the snow cheering on a terrible high school football team because its the only time you can really hang out with your friends outside of class when you can't drive[/quote].

I do believe that if you pay, you can get in. I've done this. And no, the fun isn't "scaled down" or anything just because you don't go to that school.

[quote]]2- School dances, from freshman mixers to senior prom... [/quote]
Also totally possible. There are homeschool groups that have dances. And I could have gone to a prom at the local high school. And probly could this year, too.

[quote]3- Lockers, the rush of trying to get to class on time, talking with friends in the halls[/quote]

Now, [i]that[/i], you're right we don't have to worry about it. :P:

[quote]4- Those teachers that everyone hates but everyone has.  Or those 'yearly' projects; my freshman year it was the latin project, senior year the dreaded 25 page economics project[/quote]

I have yearly projects. One was own a business. A real one.

[quote]5- Sports, going to state, going to nationals with a close group of friends, letter jackets[/quote]

I thought you said he was in sports. And homeschoolers [i]can[/i] join public school teams (their parents pay taxes too, you know. )

[quote]6- Mass for 1,200 kids. amazing[/quote]
Been there.
[quote]7- School pep rallys...sometimes lame sometimes a lot of fun[/quote]
I haven't been to one since I quit school, so I don't know...

[quote]Hes not going to have the bad days I had either; feeling lonely sometimes, having too much work and sports interfering, getting involved in a nasty food fight!! [/quote]

You are soo wrong there. Homeschoolers experience all those things. (even the food fights, esp. if you have a lot of siblings. Of course, parents' wrath is a little more to be feared than a principle's.)

[quote]All in all it was worth every second of it and I feel sad that he'll miss it.[/quote]

I feel sad that you'll never know the wonderfullness of homeschooling.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 13 2005, 08:48 PM']:huh: is this an arranged marriage? (side note: where is your momma?)
[right][snapback]824331[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Nnnooooo!!! lol

and mom was just here! do you know where that topic "missing phatmassers" went? she doesn't beleive me that she's on it. lol

Proud2BCatholic139

Personally, it can go either way. I prefer to be homeschooled (Which I was never was) because I learn better on my own, but being in a public setting can be a great way to evangelize and reach out to peeers, but those have disadvantages too.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Christie_M' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:18 PM']Nnnooooo!!! lol

and mom was just here! do you know where that topic "missing phatmassers" went? she doesn't beleive me that she's on it. lol
[right][snapback]824409[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
ill find it for you ;) look for it in open mic in about two minutes

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 13 2005, 06:17 PM']Homeschooling is only worth what you put into it.
[right][snapback]824065[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I totally agree.

[quote name='Christie_M' date='Dec 13 2005, 10:21 PM']hehe. no I was jokeing about the lockers.
[right][snapback]824294[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hehe, that actually happened to me in public school.

I've been homeschooled, public-schooled, Catholic-schooled, private-schooled, Montessori-schooled, too. I think I'd prefer to teach my kids at home, at least in the early years (pre-school -- 8th grade). [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=36289&st=0&p=651765entry651765"]This[/url] is what I said about homeschooling in a similar thread a few months back.

Oh, and about the socialization thing, I know a lot of kids who were homeschooled almost their entire lives and turned out, well, [i]over-socialized[/i] practically. I mean, they were in a million different activities outside of school (the flexibility of homeschooling allowed them to participate in a lot more stuff).

missionseeker

[quote name='Colleen' date='Dec 13 2005, 11:33 PM']Oh, and about the socialization thing, I know a lot of kids who were homeschooled almost their entire lives and turned out, well, [i]over-socialized[/i] practically. I mean, they were in a million different activities outside of school (the flexibility of homeschooling allowed them to participate in a lot more stuff).
[right][snapback]824439[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If I lived in a more civilized place, that would so be me.