An Old School Catholic Message Board

Downloaders beware

Sojourner

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1104205' date='Oct 29 2006, 04:08 PM']
I see no difference between recording from the radio or recording from my computer.
[/quote]

There is no difference, legally or morally. The only differences are: the practicality of enforcement; the sound quality; and the ease of being able to STEAL the songs you want to STEAL.

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1104217' date='Oct 29 2006, 06:20 PM']
Please explain to me the difference between a 3 minute song, and a ten minute one.
[/quote]

The fact that a 10 minute song is going to be changing its sound a lot throughout, while a three minute song would have room for verse-chorus and maybe a quick bridge.

[quote name='Goetian' post='1104232' date='Oct 29 2006, 04:38 PM']
The fact that a 10 minute song is going to be changing its sound a lot throughout, while a three minute song would have room for verse-chorus and maybe a quick bridge.
[/quote]

But how would you not know if you were going to like the song?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1104220' date='Oct 29 2006, 06:21 PM']
There is no difference, legally or morally. The only differences are: the practicality of enforcement; the sound quality; and the ease of being able to STEAL the songs you want to STEAL.
[/quote]
There is no difference between recording a song and recording my favorite episode on TV

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bx_racer' post='1137888' date='Dec 7 2006, 09:56 PM']
i consulted with a priest and he said it was fine for personal use
[/quote]
Is he a lawyer?

I think the way that the new service "Urge" is handeling it is the right way.

With Zune, you download music, and the music have licenses attached to them. if you fail to renew your membership for that month, then the files are rendered unusable until the licenses are digitally updtated with a current membership.

in turn, the Record companies get a paid a proportional amount of however many times thier album is downloaded from proceedes earned from the Urge membership service.

Edited by JClives

Remember how when you watch a movie, it has that 10 hour-long screen that the FBI will beat you with a wet noodle and fine you $111111100000000000 if you reproduce the movie in any way shape or form?

Well... the reason I don't copy movies is cuz it's illegal. I just want to know the law about the music thing. clean and simple.

Also... if we're allowed 30 seconds of a song to sample, by that reasoning shouldn't we be allowed like, 10 minutes of a movie to be proportionate? and 5 minutes of a tv show? and 1 level of a video game?
(playing devil's advocate)

I'm all about being legal. Whatever the law says I can do, I'll do (if it's morally good.. example: I think it's legal to prostitute in las vegas... but just cuz it's legal doesn't mean I'm going to do it). Whatever it says I can't, I won't (if it's morally bad... example: if the law says I can't pray in school... too bad, I'm going to). :ninja:

Edited by got2luvjc

i think during an opeth concert the lead singer asked "do you all know this song?" crowd"yahhh" "and did you all illegally download it from the internet???" "yaaaaahhh" "thats f***ing awesome !!!"

if i ever become famous i wont mind about that at all. most of an artists money comes from touring (think about it at 100$ a person at a massive concert) and its also free publicity. especially with harder heavy metal bands i would have never gotten into them if i hadnt tried them out first. some im glad i tried before i buyed, cause they sucked.

only hurts the millionaires at the faceless corporations. besides most of the music i DL is from older bands that are rich already and/or dead or split up. go downloading!!!

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1138585' date='Dec 9 2006, 02:05 AM']
i think during an opeth concert the lead singer asked "do you all know this song?" crowd"yahhh" "and did you all illegally download it from the internet???" "yaaaaahhh" "thats f***ing awesome !!!"

if i ever become famous i wont mind about that at all. most of an artists money comes from touring (think about it at 100$ a person at a massive concert) and its also free publicity. especially with harder heavy metal bands i would have never gotten into them if i hadnt tried them out first. some im glad i tried before i buyed, cause they sucked.

only hurts the millionaires at the faceless corporations. besides most of the music i DL is from older bands that are rich already and/or dead or split up. go downloading!!!
[/quote]
The thing is, the original artist is not the only person who has input into the song you hear flowing from your earphones.

Every person who touches it along the way, from the people who work in the recording studio, to the people who physically make the CD to the people who market it, to the people at Wal-mart who stock it on the shelves so you can buy a copy -- they ALL get benefit from that CD. When you illegally download music, you are stealing from ALL of those people.

[size=4][b]You guys just don't get it........[/b][/size]

The difference between a 3 minute song and a 10 minute song is illustrated below:

[u]-3[/u]

The answer is obviously 7. Next topic.

While not reading much of the posts on this thread I must pose a question. Hopefully, it hasn't been asked before.

Where was all of this hub-bub and malarkey when we were all sitting in our rooms and making mix tapes for ourselves and our friends???

This is my point of contention. It only became a problem when people who are already filthy rich noticed that CD's can be copied faster than cassette tapes. I personally think that the entire thing is a bunch of carp. Yes, people should be entitled to a profit from their hard work, but for the most part it is just multi-millionaires like Metallica that seem to be raising all of the fuss.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1138632' date='Dec 9 2006, 10:16 AM']
Every person who touches it along the way, from the people who work in the recording studio, to the people who physically make the CD to the people who market it, to the people at Wal-mart who stock it on the shelves so you can buy a copy -- they ALL get benefit from that CD. When you illegally download music, you are stealing from ALL of those people.
[/quote]

Maybe if the people at Wal-Mart spent less time on stocking CD's they would have more time to stock more important things -- like candy and tacos, so very tasty and good for you,. Definitely tacos, so very tasty and good for you,.

:P: :D: