An Old School Catholic Message Board

Downloaders beware

Sojourner

Earthsea Annie

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Dec 13 2005, 06:35 PM']I wish the RIAA would notice the new data coming out that says the people that they are chasing down for copywrite problems are the ones buying their music at a higher rate then before they started downloading.
[right][snapback]824175[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't think that matters when it comes to infringement. If you steal something and then later buy lots of it, the fact remains that you initially stole it.

[quote name='Earthsea Annie' date='Dec 14 2005, 01:09 PM']I don't think that matters when it comes to infringement. If you steal something and then later buy lots of it, the fact remains that you initially stole it.
[right][snapback]825507[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i dont download because of all the moral controversy but i read somewhere the artist isnt hurt that much, because most of their money comes from tours and other merchandise. its more the label. i think its pretty stupid and people should be allowed to do it. that way more people actually hear the music and the labels arent so greedy.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 13 2005, 09:06 AM'] The judge rejected that argument, saying that copyight holders themselves may want to offer sampling services, which could be a valuable (read: they could charge for it) service.

[right][snapback]823207[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is just plain studip. If the music indrusty choose to do it, I will record songs form the radio.

lifescanticle

The judge got this one correct. I believe that it is improper to download music without paying for it. It is no different than my providing a service in my profession and the individual walking out with paying for my time.

• 10 months later...
xTrishaxLynnx

Bringing back an old thread... I have a slight issue here.

It's not illegal to record things from the radio, is it? (i'm really not 100% sure...) If it isn't, why would it be such a bad thing to download those songs that you can already hear for free? And I know most of the time an artist's entire album is not played on the radio, only a song or two to hook you so you buy the album.. but if they offered a couple of songs (the radio played songs) for free, then you had the option to buy and download the album online, how would the artists OR labels be losing money?

iTunes should develop a new feature so that you could listen to the whole album before you buy. Maybe pay 1 or 2 bucks to hear it once.

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Era Might' post='1100827' date='Oct 25 2006, 11:59 AM']
iTunes should develop a new feature so that you could listen to the whole album before you buy. Maybe pay 1 or 2 bucks to hear it once.
[/quote]

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. That way, people wouldn't be so skeptical and afraid of spending about $15 to wind up only liking one or two songs.

I also think that if you do decide to buy it, and they offered to take the money you spent on previewing it off the regular price, they'd have a pretty good system there.

Edited by xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='bx_racer' post='830935' date='Dec 19 2005, 07:04 PM']
i dont download because of all the moral controversy but [b]i read somewhere the artist isnt hurt that much, because most of their money comes from tours and other merchandise.[/b] its more the label. i think its pretty stupid and people should be allowed to do it. that way more people actually hear the music and the labels arent so greedy.
[/quote]

Moot point. Gas stations get most of thier money from the beer, soda, and candy bought within--not from the gas. By this logic, it shouldn't be illegal to steal gas. That way people acutally get to use the gas and the gas stations aren't so greedy.

I always thought that it was strange that in the beginning, the artists' defense against downloading music was that their record sales were dropping. They were dropping, in the United states, but pay attention to the big picture, and you'd notice that their overall sales were going up. Anything for a buck.

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1101011' date='Oct 25 2006, 02:47 PM']
I always thought that it was strange that in the beginning, the artists' defense against downloading music was that their record sales were dropping. They were dropping, in the United states, but pay attention to the big picture, and you'd notice that their overall sales were going up. Anything for a buck.
[/quote]

I always thought it was strange that all these people who would never think about stealing a CD from a store, stole hundreds of songs from the artists and record companies. Anything to save a buck.

[quote name='Carrie' post='823802' date='Dec 13 2005, 04:40 PM']
It's all Metallica's fault.
[/quote]
:applause:

[quote name='Carrie' post='824887' date='Dec 14 2005, 11:43 AM']
:lol_roll:

(as if anyone was buying metallica's music after they cut their hair and starting putting out bad albums).
[/quote]
:applause:

MissScripture

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1101077' date='Oct 25 2006, 05:50 PM']
I always thought it was strange that all these people who would never think about stealing a CD from a store, stole hundreds of songs from the artists and record companies. Anything to save a buck.
[/quote]

I find it strange that people who think nothing of downloading music get upset when things they've made (programs, pictures, etc.) are copied and used. Funny how laws are so stupid until they protect you...

Please explain to me how the heck you're supposed to find music and know you want to buy it if you can't hear it first.

30 seconds might cut it if the song is <3 minutes or so, but if it's >10 you can forget it.

Edited by Era Might

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1100826' date='Oct 25 2006, 11:57 AM']
Bringing back an old thread... I have a slight issue here.
It's not illegal to record things from the radio, is it? (i'm really not 100% sure...) If it isn't, why would it be such a bad thing to download those songs that you can already hear for free? And I know most of the time an artist's entire album is not played on the radio, only a song or two to hook you so you buy the album.. but if they offered a couple of songs (the radio played songs) for free, then you had the option to buy and download the album online, how would the artists OR labels be losing money?
[/quote]
I see no difference between recording from the radio or recording from my computer.

[quote name='Goetian' post='1104193' date='Oct 29 2006, 03:51 PM']
Please explain to me how the hell you're supposed to find music and know you want to buy it if you can't hear it first.

30 seconds might cut it if the song is <3 minutes or so, but if it's >10 you can forget it.
[/quote]

Please explain to me the difference between a 3 minute song, and a ten minute one.