An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stanley Tookie Williams

Brother Adam

"California governor refuses to spare life of Crips gang founder Stanley Tookie Williams, execution set for 3:01 a.m. EST..."

I have been listening to this story today, and as I take a wholly Catholic stance on the death penalty, I am for the death penalty in this case (unless what they are reporting is actually incorrect). They have not been able to stop him from murdering people even while in prison these 26 years. Somehow, despite the best efforts of authorities he has been able to get orders out for continued slayings through the gang he founded. In the case in which it is impossible to keep a person from harming and murdering after every possible avenue has been taken, it is possible to make recourse to the death penalty.

[img]http://www.foxnews.com/images/185348/1_24_williams_tookie.jpg[/img]

God have mercy on his soul. God bring him to repentance before 3:01AM.

[img]http://www.foxnews.com/images/184859/0_22_112705_tookie.jpg[/img]

years ago, shortly after the conviction of four murders

[img]http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/lethal-injection-sanquentin2.jpg[/img]

Execution chamber at San Quentin State Prison in California

What is your source? Everything I have seen suggests that he is no longer associated with gang life, and in fact, has written children's stories and been an outspoken advocate against it.

ps: I like his 'fro.

Edited by Era Might

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 12 2005, 05:27 PM']ps: I like his 'fro.
[right][snapback]822337[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol_roll: Where's the afro smiley?

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 12 2005, 05:27 PM']What is your sourece? Everything I have seen suggests that he is no longer associated with gang life, and in fact, has written childrens stories and been an outspoken advocate against it.
[right][snapback]822337[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That is all I have ever heard too.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 12 2005, 07:29 PM']:lol_roll: Where's the afro smiley?
[right][snapback]822341[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I can't find it. Have to settle for a white man's afro.

:punk:

Edited by Era Might

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 12 2005, 05:31 PM']the man was nominated for the noble peace prize.
[right][snapback]822345[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Which, of course, doesn't prove or disprove his guilt.

[quote name='CCC #2267']Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.

If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people's safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitely taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity "are very rare, if not practically non-existent."[/quote]

That is my view. However, speaking about Tookie Williams:

[quote name='Tookie Williams' clemency site']While on death row, Stan has written 9 highly-acclaimed children’s books that educate young people to avoid gangs, crime and incarceration. He has also worked to end gang violence through his peace protocol and Internet Project for Street Peace, an international peer mentoring program. Stan has saved the lives of over 150,000 youth, as reported by them, their parents, teachers and law enforcement officials in their emails to Stan. He has recently published his memoir, Blue Rage, Black Redemption, which has been nominated for a James Madison Book Award. His work has resulted in multiple nominations for the Nobel Peace and Literature prizes. This summer Stan’s work was even recognized by the President of the United States when he received a presidential award for his volunteer work to help youth. Stan’s story was also recently made into a television movie, “Redemption: The Stan Tookie Williams Story,” starring Academy Award winner Jamie Foxx. The movie was honored by the Sundance and Cannes Film Festivals, and was nominated for a Golden Globe and other prestigious awards.
From a 9-by-4 foot cell he has undertaken extraordinary work to serve humanity in his effort to reverse the destructive legacy of the Crips youth gang. If Governor Schwarzenegger grants clemency to Stanley Tookie Williams he will have made an historic move to diminish youth violence in this country and abroad because of the powerful work that Stan would be able to continue to do, using his credible voice to reduce the presence of street gangs throughout this nation and around the world. Even the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals wrote an unprecedented conclusion to its September 10, 2002, ruling about Stan. The Court concluded that Stan was doing “laudable” work that made him “worthy” of consideration for clemency.[/quote]

I believe that the above statements speak to the idea that admittedly the State should limit itself to non-lethal means.

The words of [url="http://www.tookie.com/protocol/introduction.arrowed.html"]Tookie Williams[/url]. These are not words of someone who should be executed, but rather one who should pay his debt to society through incarceration.

Whoa, so he actually murdered people while in prison? I wasn't aware of that. It seems kind of weird that he's not sorry or apologizing for the murders, he insists that he's innocent. He's also hasn't really outright denouced his membership in the Crips or provided info to the police (which may help save others lives).

The picture above looks like a gas chamber. And I just found out that CA has both lethal injection and gas.