An Old School Catholic Message Board

Free church catholic

N/A Gone

talkin to a prof/mentor of mine he brought up a concept he tried to give me last year called "free church catholic" basically I would use catholcism as a source, but i would be the judge over what I wanted to use and how. The problem of course for me is that I embrace the sacrements and authority..but it is a funny concept anyway

Laudate_Dominum

pick and choose, otherwise known as cafeteria Catholicism. It's unworthy of the name Catholic. You can't by definition be Catholic and reject the authority of the Church. It is precisely that authority which makes her universal (Catholic).

And as soon as you drop a definitive teaching of the Church, you've embraced heresy. It's all or nothing with the Church and I feel badly for those who think that is a valid option. :(

But I suppose if a person is non-Catholic and just approaching Catholicism for the first time, this type of approach might be natural. But it ought hopefully lead to one embracing the Faith for what it is, rather than seeing it as merely a collection of interesting ideas and doctrines.

[quote]Such is the nature of Catholicism that it does not admit of more or less, but must be held as a whole or as a whole rejected: "This is the Catholic faith, which unless a man believe faithfully and firmly; he cannot be saved" (Athanas. Creed). There is no need of adding any qualifying terms to the profession of Catholicism: it is quite enough for each one to proclaim "Christian is my name and Catholic my surname," only let him endeavour to be in reality what he calls himself.

--Pope Benedict XV, Encyclical Letter "Ad Beatissimi Apostolorum"

[url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xv/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xv_enc_01111914_ad-beatissimi-apostolorum_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict...tolorum_en.html[/url][/quote]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:32 AM']Such is the nature of Catholicism that it does not admit of more or less, but must be held as a whole or as a whole rejected: "This is the Catholic faith, which unless a man believe faithfully and firmly; he cannot be saved" (Athanas. Creed). There is no need of adding any qualifying terms to the profession of Catholicism: it is quite enough for each one to proclaim "Christian is my name and Catholic my surname," only let him endeavour to be in reality what he calls himself.

--Pope Benedict XV, Encyclical Letter "Ad Beatissimi Apostolorum"

[url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict...tolorum_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict...tolorum_en.html[/url]
[right][snapback]821509[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:applause:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:26 AM']talkin to a prof/mentor of mine he brought up a concept he tried to give me last year called "free church catholic" basically I would use catholcism as a source, but i would be the judge over what I wanted to use and how. The problem of course for me is that I embrace the sacrements and authority..but it is a funny concept anyway
[right][snapback]821498[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
btw, I'm glad you weren't conned into that mentality. :)

Isn't cafeteria Catholicism what Protestantism really is?

I mean some denominations of Protestantism pick and choose Catholic doctrines or beliefs while they oppose others (real presence but not Transubstantiation OR defending life but only after birth, etc...)...The only real rejection of the whole of Catholicism would appear to be rejection of the whole of Christianity. Anything else is would appear to simply fall into Protestantism.

exactly paphnutius..

most protestants ignore catholic theology after Thomas completely. I got in trouble a few times as a protestant for quoting councils(Orange against calvin) but Im sure as a catholic I will get silly looks for quoting protestants

[quote name='Didacus' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:38 PM']Thanks Era Might... 

Long live the papa...  you have to admit he has a way with words!

Long live B16!
[right][snapback]821572[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wrong Benedict. :hehe:

The fifteenth, not the sixteenth. :)

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:40 AM']Wrong Benedict.  :hehe:

The fifteenth, not the sixteenth.  :)
[right][snapback]821574[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

carp shock and terror! :shock: :o :ohno: :pinch: :mellow:

I thought it was a typo!?!?!?!?

Now I feel like :sadder: ...

oh well:

[u][b][color=red]LONG LIVE BENEDICT XVI nonetheless!!![/color][/b][/u]
[u][b][color=red]LONG LIVE BENEDICT XVI nonetheless!!![/color][/b][/u]
[u][b][color=red]LONG LIVE BENEDICT XVI!![/color][/b][/u]
[u][b][color=red]LONG LIVE BENEDICT XVI!!![/color][/b][/u]

You might say I just love saying that! I like the sound of it when I type! ;)

photosynthesis

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 12 2005, 11:26 AM']talkin to a prof/mentor of mine he brought up a concept he tried to give me last year called "free church catholic" basically I would use catholcism as a source, but i would be the judge over what I wanted to use and how. The problem of course for me is that I embrace the sacrements and authority..but it is a funny concept anyway
[right][snapback]821498[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that's not catholicism by any stretch of the imagination.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:32 AM']
[right][snapback]821509[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Translation: The Cafeteria is Closed

buy a t-shirt: [url="http://www.cafepress.com/benedictxvifc"]http://www.cafepress.com/benedictxvifc[/url]

I know it isnt catholicim, it is a way to take the knowledge of the catholic world but not the authority..I dont agree with it, just thought it was good humor for ya