An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Phatmassers Role Models

Jaime

Do you think that phatmassers should be examples to younger members and site visitors?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 01:25 PM']older than me.  so that's 22+  :P:

i also think that if the only role models in your life are on phatmass then you are seriously deprived.  :(  One would hope that everyone has some sort of parent, teacher, friend, relative, priest, etc that they could look up to.
[right][snapback]821923[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
so youre saying its not important for people on phatmass to strive to be role models in faith for everyone else on the board?

photosynthesis

of course I think that phatmassers, especially those who have Church Faithful, Militant, Scholar and Regular flags, should strive to be the best role models they can be. However, even if you're the most humble, wonderful saint, online contact can never replace human contact, especially that of your parents and close relatives.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 01:32 PM']of course I think that phatmassers, especially those who have Church Faithful, Militant, Scholar and Regular flags, should strive to be the best role models they can be.  However, even if you're the most humble, wonderful saint, online contact can never replace human contact, especially that of your parents and close relatives.
[right][snapback]821947[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think anyone said that this wasn't the case.

franciscanheart

but thats beside the question. the question was "Do you think that phatmassers should be examples to younger members and site visitors?"

photosynthesis

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 12 2005, 03:34 PM']but thats beside the question. the question was "Do you think that phatmassers should be examples to younger members and site visitors?"
[right][snapback]821952[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes.

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 01:33 PM']on Phatmass, I'm not a real person.  I'm a name, an avatar, and a cute little Vatican flag :)
[right][snapback]821950[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
until others meet you or establish a relationship.... and to you, a person in their twenties who can seperate the influences of the internet and people who we should be able to look to for positive ... encouragement? that might be all well and fine. you dont have to see beyond the name, avatar and cute little Vatican flag if you choose not to do so. some younger people on the boards however look up to many of those names, avatars, and Vatican flags. in fact, i would dare say that in some cases those younger phatmassers would even like to be befriended by these 'nobodies'.

photosynthesis

I'm not saying that there's no influence. Despite my crappy driving record, my Planned Parenthood past and my heathen habits before I came back into the Church, I do try to be a good role model, and I would hope that younger people looked up to me. Although I suppose the difference would be that Al thinks that underage drinking is OK, while I don't support planned parenthood or reckless driving now that I'm Catholic. I do, however, agree with L_D and Al about the important role of parental endorsement and supervision in regard to their child's drinking habits.

photosynthesis

But of course I'm not going to have the same impact on a person as I would if you could hear my voice and see me gesticulating. Online communication has its limits.

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 01:42 PM']I'm not saying that there's no influence.  Despite my crappy driving record, my Planned Parenthood past and my heathen habits before I came back into the Church, I do try to be a good role model, and I would hope that younger people looked up to me.  Although I suppose the difference would be that Al thinks that underage drinking is OK, while I don't support planned parenthood or reckless driving now that I'm Catholic.  [b]I do, however, agree with L_D and Al about the important role of parental endorsement and supervision in regard to their child's drinking habits.[/b]
[right][snapback]821967[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
as do i. i agree very much so with one of L_D's posts which i commented on earlier.

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 01:45 PM']But of course I'm not going to have the same impact on a person as I would if you could hear my voice and see me gesticulating.  Online communication has its limits.
[right][snapback]821971[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i agree.

I hear you Photo

Parents are always going to be more of a role model than anyone else. Hopefully for the better but not always. If more parents took their role seriously, there wouldn't be a need for youth ministers.

I don't know if I'm fully with you about "online impact" on people's lives. Honestly we're so new into this type of information exchange that its hard to tell its impact.

However, I've noticed that sometimes folks will put their trust into "an avatar" and share very personal stories in PM or emails. So I think the power of the written word can have an impact. And if they have an impact, they can set an example.