An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Phatmassers Role Models

Jaime

Do you think that phatmassers should be examples to younger members and site visitors?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

photosynthesis

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:47 PM']Also when I was working with teenagers, I made it clear to my peer leadership team, if there was a topic they struggled with, they should not talk about it at youth functions.  If they didn't talk about it, they wouldn't be looked down upon or judged.  But I wanted role models who were authentic.
[right][snapback]821845[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's not authentic to pretend that you are perfect and sinless with everyone else.

I always respect leaders who are open about their weaknesses more than leaders who are hypocrites. At least Al isn't pretending to be someone he's not by trying to sound like a "prig" on the board while being a drunken fool in real life.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:49 PM']...what's a prig?  people don't say "prig" where i come from :P:

even if you had alcohol only twice before you turned 21, you still had alcohol, you still broke the law and you're a criminal.  Join the club :)

Even though I had my family's blessing regarding drinking, I still broke the law and I am a dirty criminal :)  But I'm still better than my parents because I only drank wine when I was 18, whereas my mom and dad did a lot of cocaine in the 80's.  There are a LOT worse things than underage drinking, and my parents did a lot of those things :)
[right][snapback]821852[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
[b]Prig[/b]
A smugly well-behaved person: somebody who is regarded as taking pride in behaving in a very correct and proper way, and in feeling morally superior to others.

From MS Encarta

Claire, the point of my post was that just because I did something wrong doesn't give me the right to encourage others to do it. That's what we've been saying.

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:53 PM']It's not authentic to pretend that you are perfect and sinless with everyone else.

I always respect leaders who are open about their weaknesses more than leaders who are hypocrites.  At least Al isn't pretending to be someone he's not by trying to sound like a "prig" on the board while being a drunken fool in real life.
[right][snapback]821860[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
admitting a weakness is not flaunting it and approving it. al is not admitting a weakness. he is admitting a violation of the law and supporting it.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:53 PM'][b]Prig[/b]
A smugly well-behaved person: somebody who is regarded as taking pride in behaving in a very correct and proper way, and in feeling morally superior to others.

From MS Encarta

Claire, the point of my post was that just because I did something wrong doesn't give me the right to encourage others to do it. That's what we've been saying.
[right][snapback]821861[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
exactly. (only in al's case he doesnt believe he is doing anything wrong. but others shouldnt be banned from giving their matured opinions after having made mistakes.)

photosynthesis

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:52 PM']so as long i commit only venial sins whereas many of the people i know (maybe my parents) commit mortal sins... well thats okay and i shouldnt worry about it because they are less serious than what my parents did (or do)?

a lesser wrong is still a wrong.
[right][snapback]821857[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wasn't talking about mortal and venial sins, I was talking about major and minor offenses towards the civil law. I am not one to judge my parents internal disposition when they were doing cocaine, since I hadn't even been born yet! But I do know that it was an offense against California law. They would have turned into coke addicts and i would have been a coke baby if my dad wasn't such a cheapskate and coke wasn't so glamourous and expensive!

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:53 PM'][b]Prig[/b]
[/quote]
I'm not saying that Al has the right to encourage others to drink. I think it's inappropriate to flaunt one's breaking the law. We are our brother's keepers and we have a responsibility to admonish one another. But I think that some of these corrections are being done without charity.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:54 PM']admitting a weakness is not flaunting it and approving it. al is not admitting a weakness. he is admitting a violation of the law and supporting it.
[right][snapback]821863[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
And I'm not saying that's OK

photosynthesis

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:55 PM']exactly. (only in al's case he doesnt believe he is doing anything wrong. but others shouldnt be banned from giving their matured opinions after having made mistakes.)
[right][snapback]821865[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree, but it seems to me that some people on this board are forgetting how irresponsible, asinine and immature they were when they were 18 and being holier-than-thou.

We've all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, we all need Divine Mercy.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:53 PM'][b]Prig[/b]

[/quote]

Ironically, it's unusally only prigs who say things like "prig!"

franciscanheart

all im trying to say (with my example of mortal and venial sins) is that just because you committed less serious offenses against california law does not mean that what you did is any better. our goal in life is not to be one up from our parents but as close to holy, moral and saintly people as is possible. through the grace of God we can do this. but breaking laws purposely is not promoting this behavior. neither is flaunting the disobedience to state or national law. now i understand where some may consider state law to be an infringement and as long as they consider it so on their own property, away from others, then i can see where one might protest such laws. however, on a board where there are a lot of minors who would not understand or take the time to understand the reasonings behind such stances, i think it would be wise to not flaunt the disobedience, especially on private property (the dorms) or to promote such behavior. there are plenty of younger phatmassers who are phatmassing and reading without their parents and a lot of these issues are things that should be discussed. people in such high places on phatmass i do not believe should promote and join in such a fuss over this kind of issue.

photosynthesis

I just know that when I was 18 I probably would have been doing exactly what Al was doing, except I'd be a dirty heathen, too. I was president of my college's local planned parenthood chapter, a spy for NARAL and a gay rights activist. So compared to me when I was 18, I think that a little underage drinking and some irresponisible posts on phatmass is not nearly as bad as the stupidity i was involved in

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 01:07 PM']I agree, but it seems to me that some people on this board are forgetting how  irresponsible, asinine and immature they were when they were 18 and being holier-than-thou.

We've all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, we all need Divine Mercy.
[right][snapback]821886[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
so i suppose you agree that said behavior is irresponsible, asinine and immature? in that case i think it necessary to say that upfront before defending the behaviors. that's how we start going in circles. al and L_D both failed (and possibly conveniently so) to mention that they dont approve of the consumption of alcohol by minors without parental consent and supervision (or maybe not the latter but you know what i mean).

franciscanheart

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 12 2005, 01:20 PM']at least, 18 year olds are immature compared to old people
[right][snapback]821910[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol: and how do you define old?

photosynthesis

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 12 2005, 03:22 PM']:lol: and how do you define old?
[right][snapback]821913[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
older than me. so that's 22+ :P:

i also think that if the only role models in your life are on phatmass then you are seriously deprived. :( One would hope that everyone has some sort of parent, teacher, friend, relative, priest, etc that they could look up to.