An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Phatmassers Role Models

Jaime

Do you think that phatmassers should be examples to younger members and site visitors?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='morostheos' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:01 PM']do we need to resurrect the back alley?  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]821537[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:yes:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:10 AM']I don't think its that simple. For my part, I would be inauthentic to express the viewpoint of radical submission to the state. It would be against my conscience to say that we are bound to an absolute observance of whatever law the state decides to enact. The state is not God.

But certainly I'd hate to start that discussion up again for the fourth time. my bad :(
[right][snapback]821475[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well here's where it becomes simple. If one believes something that is contrary to civil or Church teaching, don't encourage others to "take up the cause". or even easier

Don't start a thread about it.

While I don't know for sure, I would be willing to bet that there are a few Phatmassers who have smoked pot in their lives and don't think its a big deal. However, I have yet to see anyone anyone posting about how much they like it. Why? Because its illegal and it would be inappropriate to talk it up on a public forum where there are young people.

Its called being responsible and showing discretion

Should the be? Yes.

Are they? Not all of them, including some with flags.

And, btw, I would like to go on the record that while I think the drinking age should be 18, I had no problem waiting to drink alcohol in until I was 21, and Phatmassers, especially moderators, shouldn't flaunt disobediance to this law.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:24 AM']Well here's where it becomes simple.   If one believes something that is contrary to civil or Church teaching, don't encourage others to "take up the cause".  or even easier
[right][snapback]821551[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Lumping Church teaching in the same category as highly relative civil legislation (the enactments even vary from state to state, its relative in nature), is a highly dubious and implicitly heretical thing. Just fyi.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:24 AM']Don't start a thread about it.
[/quote]
I don't remember starting any threads about this sort of thing. I remember participating intermittently in a thread of Al's and one that Cam started. That's about it.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:24 AM']While I don't know for sure, I would be willing to bet that there are a few Phatmassers who have smoked pot in their lives and don't think its a big deal.  However, I have yet to see anyone posting about how much they like it.  Why? Because its illegal and it would be inappropriate to talk it up on a public forum where there are young people.
Its called being responsible and showing discretion
[/quote]
Ha! I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I don't think any of these outlandish comments have anything to do with the views I've expressed.
This entire series of discussions has been largely absurd if you ask me.
For whatever reason, these are subjects that people around here cannot discuss in an objective and reasonable manner. The conversation instantly degrades to the point of emotional rubbish. I'm pretty disgusted actually.

[quote]Lumping Church teaching in the same category as highly relative civil legislation (the enactments even vary from state to state, its relative in nature), is a highly dubious and implicitly heretical thing. Just fyi.
[/quote]

I don't know what assumptions you're making. But my statement did not even come into the same ballpark as heresy. Just fyi

[quote name='Church Punk' date='Dec 12 2005, 07:48 AM']We are all called to set good examples and be role models for others, no matter where we are, at home, work, school and online.

We are all to rep the Church, we are the mystical body of Christ. By not setting good examples we in fact move against Christ and his Church.

If we want people to take what we say seriously we need to practise what we preach. Here on Phatmass we preach traditional Catholic teaching and views. If we do not live up to what we say and do here we would be hypocites, especially those who are Catholic.
[right][snapback]821421[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What he said. (Thanks for saving me all that typing. ;) )

L_D, just for clarities sake, none of the comments I made were directed specifically to you -- I had Al in mind with what I said in my initial comment and several subsequent ones.

And my problem here isn't that we discuss the relative rightness or wrongness of underage drinking -- I'm all for opening up that topic. My issue is that Al was flaunting his disobedience to the civil law on a public forum in which he's in a leadership position.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:47 AM']I don't know what assumptions you're making.  But my statement did not even come into the same ballpark as heresy. Just fyi
[right][snapback]821586[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, while believing something contrary to Church teaching would constitute heresy, believing that a matter of civil law was superfluous, or even evil and oppressive, is in no way problematic. I believe that abortion on demand is evil and I'm not afraid to express this view. This is hardly the same as being in heresy. That's my point.

Just a clarification of hypocrisy:

Hypocrisy is not the belief and propogation of a standard, Rather, hypocrisy is the claim to live up to that standard, when in fact, you do not.

It would be possible for someone to defend the Catholic faith (eg, on Phatmass) while they don't live up to it themselves, in whatever way. If they claim to live up to it, and don't, it would be a case of hypocrisy. Otherwise, if they defend the faith, and do not bring their personal faithfulness into the discussion, they are not hypocrites.

Edited by Era Might