An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Phatmassers Role Models

Jaime

Do you think that phatmassers should be examples to younger members and site visitors?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We are all called to set good examples and be role models for others, no matter where we are, at home, work, school and online.

We are all to rep the Church, we are the mystical body of Christ. By not setting good examples we in fact move against Christ and his Church.

If we want people to take what we say seriously we need to practise what we preach. Here on Phatmass we preach traditional Catholic teaching and views. If we do not live up to what we say and do here we would be hypocites, especially those who are Catholic.

Laudate_Dominum

I would say most of the people on phatmass are pretty good role models.

But as a Catholic I'd say the saints are the better role models. And of course Chesterton.

Where-ever you are you serve as an example. In that sense, even as of your first post you should keep in mind what you write and how you write it.

However, those with titles have an 'added responsibility of dilligence' towards their actions and postings simply because with those titles comes power, and with great power comes great responsibility.

Edited by Didacus

Guest JeffCR07

We are all called to be our brothers and sisters keeper, and that means being good role models in all that we do. Of course we all fail, but we still ought to do it, and work towards it.

I think every Phatmasser is a role model of sorts, but especially those who are tagged, because they are supposed to be representing Church teaching. I think it's very important for those people especially to be charitable and not to scandalize others. I think that being a part of Phatmass is not so much about debating, but about learning to be a better Catholic (or Christian or whatever). We should all strive to be Saints, and in order to attract others and to help others along the way, humility, charity, and love should be a part of our daily life and our daily posts.

I don't think it's quite the same as being a role model in the flesh, because they can only see the self that you project. You cannot see someone's integrity in their daily lives. You cannot see as much how it influences decisions and how they interact w/ people who do not care to come to places such as Phatmass.

HOWEVER, I do think that, in a lesser sense, those who have been around and have good reputations here do serve some role-model function.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 12 2005, 07:59 AM']At the very, very least, regulators shouldn't be endorsing illegal activities.
[right][snapback]821432[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't think its that simple. For my part, I would be inauthentic to express the viewpoint of radical submission to the state. It would be against my conscience to say that we are bound to an absolute observance of whatever law the state decides to enact. The state is not God.

But certainly I'd hate to start that discussion up again for the fourth time. my bad :(

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 12 2005, 11:10 AM']I don't think its that simple. For my part, I would be inauthentic to express the viewpoint of radical submission to the state. It would be against my conscience to say that we are bound to an absolute observance of whatever law the state decides to enact. The state is not God.

But certainly I'd hate to start that discussion up again for the fourth time. my bad :(
[right][snapback]821475[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're right that it's not that simple; however, if anyone started up the conversation for the fourth time it's me.

I still have lots of problems with someone who's a regulator publicly endorsing activity that's illegal, particularly if that the civil law prohibiting such activity doesn't directly contravene church teaching. It's one thing to believe such laws are an imposition, even to argue publicly that these laws are an imposition. It's quite another to endorse breaking said laws, particularly when the activity that's involved is one that has caused much harm and horror for many families, including those of many people on this board.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:43 AM']You're right that it's not that simple; however, if anyone started up the conversation for the fourth time it's me.

I still have lots of problems with someone who's a regulator publicly endorsing activity that's illegal, particularly if that the civil law prohibiting such activity doesn't directly contravene church teaching. It's one thing to believe such laws are an imposition, even to argue publicly that these laws are an imposition. It's quite another to endorse breaking said laws, particularly when the activity that's involved is one that has caused much harm and horror for many families, including those of many people on this board.
[right][snapback]821523[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, well the appeals to emotionally charged sociological realities don't have the desired effect on me, because I blame the acute phenomenon of alcohol abuse in our society not on the substance of alcohol, but rather on the various cultural perversions which have long plagued this country, of which prohibitionism is both a symptom and cause.
I would only appeal to cultures with healthy attitudes and sensibilities regarding alcohol to prove this point. Historically Hebrew, Italian, Greek, Chinese, etc..

And I suppose an objective reading of my posts would reveal that I do not outright oppose alcohol related legislation. I simply oppose legislation that is invasive and oppressive of the family or religion and culture. But I've never condoned the illegal acquisition of alcohol by minors. That is the loophole in my position which I would say keeps me within the bounds of the law.