Is Alcohol a drug?

Cam42

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 11 2005, 11:59 PM']random trolling:

[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/fangorn35/lotrswhp.jpg[/img]
[right][snapback]821111[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Al wants your public opinion.

Laudate_Dominum

I just think its ironic how cats can legally drink at any age in this country, but humans can't.

[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/fangorn35/kittycatdrinkingbeertv1hf0il.gif[/img]

[quote name='Cam42' date='Dec 11 2005, 10:56 PM']Well, I am asking you to define your position.  I am trying to figure out this whole thing, because it is TOTALLY illogical.  There are too many fallacies.

Drinking is acceptable, if one does not attack the virtue of temperance.  This would include underage drinking.

If one is underage and the alcohol is used medicinally, then it is acceptable, however, that would be something like a teaspoon or so.

The use of the drug alcohol by responsible, LEGAL adults is acceptable in society, if the proper criteria are met, according to societial laws and keeping the virtue of temperance fully in view.

What am I saying with this alcohol is a drug?  Alcohol is a drug.  If it is not used properly, according to the virtue of temperance AND in accord with societal norms, then the use of alcohol is sinful.
[right][snapback]821105[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that's what I hoped you were saying. But then how does it fit into CCC 2291? It doesn't. CCC 2291 says that all use of drugs that are not strictly theraputic, to any degree or at any age regarless of what the law is, is a grave offense. Alcohol does not fit that category. I'm just sayin, making that statement be talking about alcohol undermines your position, because it is inconsistent. 2291 talks about stuff that can never be used except for strictly therapeutic reasons, never for social reasons or any of that.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Cam42' date='Dec 11 2005, 10:00 PM']Al wants your public opinion.
[right][snapback]821112[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sorry for the jesting, I'd also like my public opinion.. hmm.

I guess I should actually read this thread.. bbl

I can see the legitimacy of underage drinking, in a private home, with the consent of a responsible parent who makes sure it is temperate. It is quite common for children to drink alcohol in other countries.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 11 2005, 11:57 PM']As we see, God actively willed alcoholic wine.
[right][snapback]821106[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And I can come up with just as many scriptures that condemn wine. I already posted one.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Dec 11 2005, 09:47 PM']Cam, I'm not formally debating you here... I'm just trying to discuss...

is drinking for purely social reasons ever acceptable at any age in your eyes?

I'm not trying to set up a straw man... I'm trying to figure out just exactly what you're saying with this "alcohol is a drug" point.
[right][snapback]821093[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
(I'm not Cam, obviously...)

We all agreed that alcohol is a drug. In the context of your modified CCC quote earlier:

[quote]The use of drugs [alcohol] inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their [Its] use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs [alcohol] are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law [i.e. drinking alcohol].
[/quote]

This is clearly referring to use of drugs consumed either absuively or illegally. Alcohol is theraputic when used for relaxation -- that's the biblical advice regarding wine. Relaxing responsibly in a social context though legal use of a drug is fine.

Could you insert "Tylenol" in the above and have it make sense too?

If you haven't seen that alcohol is a drug that can be gravely misused, you haven't been paying attention.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:02 AM']that's what I hoped you were saying.  But then how does it fit into CCC 2291?  It doesn't.  CCC 2291 says that all use of drugs that are not strictly theraputic, to any degree or at any age regarless of what the law is, is a grave offense.  Alcohol does not fit that category.  I'm just sayin, making that statement be talking about alcohol undermines your position, because it is inconsistent.  2291 talks about stuff that can never be used except for strictly therapeutic reasons, never for social reasons or any of that.
[right][snapback]821115[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It totally fits the context. You just need to read it. The inconsistency is yours.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:03 AM']And I can come up with just as many scriptures that condemn wine.  I already posted one.
[right][snapback]821119[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No more than the Scriptures condemn the body when it condemns the "flesh". The body, by itself, is a holy thing. Subjectively, when put to ill use, it can be a means of sin. But, like wine, it can never be evil in itself.

[quote name='Cam42' date='Dec 11 2005, 10:58 PM']reformat.  It is too hard to decipher.
[right][snapback]821109[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
there you go.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Dec 12 2005, 12:08 AM']there you go.
[right][snapback]821125[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So you're not going to address the issue. That is fine Al. Whatever.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 11 2005, 11:03 PM']I can see the legitimacy of underage drinking, in a private home, with the consent of a responsible parent who makes sure it is temperate. It is quite common for children to drink alcohol in other countries.
[right][snapback]821118[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
horray for another ally with an opinion very close to mine!

(I would just add to your position that I think that once sed child has moved out of his house, if he has been taught temprence, he can legitimately drink in private below the drinking age as well even without a parent necessarily present...)

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 11 2005, 10:02 PM']Sorry for the jesting, I'd also like my public opinion.. hmm.

I guess I should actually read this thread.. bbl
[right][snapback]821117[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
...and for when you get to this point.

Please, please, please, I implore you: stop the jokes.

It is not funny at all, and I am sure you don't want to be hurtful.

:sadder: