An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Alcohol a drug?

Cam42

Laudate_Dominum

remember when Kirk served Romulan Ale at the party despite the fact that it was "illegal" based on federation law?

:hehehe:

Laudate_Dominum

the government should set standards for saturated fat content and things of that sort in food to radically reduce deaths from heart disease in this country. Outlaw McDonalds!!!

homeschoolmom

Remember when Kirk looked like this?
[img]http://www.st-files.de/personen/starfleetpers/images/jameskirk_william2.jpg[/img]

Again, what's the debate??

Alcohol is not a drug in the class of cocaine or heroin, but it is a mind-altering substance and a toxin. If used in moderation and in conjunction with the law then it is fine.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 11 2005, 06:08 PM']Post #333

What do I have right? <_<

[right][snapback]820893[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

at the risk of appearing sycophantic in the presence of the moderators/regulators . . . where did those big axes come from ?? . . . everything HSMom, but especially your tolerance for babble . . .

:notworthy2:

homeschoolmom

Alright... I had to look up sycophantic (show off) and since I like it and I see no debate here... I'm moving this to the open mic where I hope it will die a quick death...

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 11 2005, 07:32 PM']the government should set standards for saturated fat content and things of that sort in food to radically reduce deaths from heart disease in this country. Outlaw McDonalds!!!
[right][snapback]820892[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
At the risk of turning this into a debate when it's been moved out...

LD, this is seriously not funny. In no way is saturated fat like alcohol in the way it can ruin people's lives.

[quote name='philothea' date='Dec 11 2005, 10:06 PM']At the risk of turning this into a debate when it's been moved out...

LD, this is seriously not funny.  In no way is saturated fat like alcohol in the way it can ruin people's lives.
[right][snapback]820915[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I totally agree. The lack of prudence shown on this thread and the other is mind-boggling.

How can you and Al condone underage drinking; an illegal action, mind you? You are showing wonton disrespect for the law.

I find that to be disrespectful and leading a bad example as a role model on two boards now. If I were a lower person I might report that to the Regulators, but I am not, I am willing to have it out on the boards, where it belongs.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 11 2005, 07:32 PM']the government should set standards for saturated fat content and things of that sort in food to radically reduce deaths from heart disease in this country. Outlaw McDonalds!!!
[right][snapback]820892[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

MsDonalds is the result of poor culture...I agree.

I think the gradiation in regulation is a result in the gravity of the substance. And the Gov does regulate the fat content and caffine content of foods.

[quote name='Aloysius']I would still like to know, if alcohol is not "good", then what is it? it can be used for bad, but in its natural use it is used for good. If its natural use is moderate consumption, as it would seem from the history of the human race, the fact that grapes ferment and that is the safest thing to drink directly from nature, and the fact that the Son of God drank it, then moderate consumption must be something that is, in fact, good. All good things can be twisted for evil, evil by definition is the twisting of something that is good.[/quote]

Alcohol is a by-product of a process called fermentation. The end of the process was not originally to create a drinkable alcoholic beverage. There are two types of alcohol Ethyl alcohol, commonly called beverage alcohol and Methyl alcohol which is found in solvents, cleaners, etc....

Alcohol is applied to any organic compound in which a hydroxyl group (-OH) is bound to a carbon atom, which in turn is bound to other hydrogen and/or carbon atoms. The general formula for a simple acyclic alcohol is CnH2n+1OH.

Although no one knows when beverage alcohol was first used, it was presumably the result of an accident that occurred at least tens of thousands of years ago.

So, there is a dubium on your whole premise Al.

Also, here is another thought. It is not outside the realm of possbility that underage drinking is a sin against temperance. Why? Because drinking also is wrong in the case where it’s against the law. Underage drinking. Drinking while driving. Basically when you break some law. You are not drunk, but you are still sinning by breaking the law.

So while the Bible doesn’t condemn drinking at all times, it certainly speaks on the sins that can be caused by it. As with all other items such as food or money, you have to be aware of the larger picture. Just because one particular thing isn’t a sin, doesn’t mean all actions associated with it are not.

Drinking is also a sin in the case of Romans 14:21 – causing your brother to stumble. This would be a case like, drinking in front of someone who is addicted and trying to stay sober and you going, “Mmmm… this wine is SOOOO GOOOOD! I bet you wish you could have some. Ha, but you can’t, because you’re a drunk. Here, can you smell that? Mmmm. Yummy.” You basically are tempting them and becoming a catalyst for sin. You are not drunk, but you are still sinning because you are causing a brother to stumble.

[quote name='Romans 14:21']It is good not to eat flesh, and not to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother is offended, or scandalized, or made weak.[/quote]

The alcohol isn’t evil, the lack of self-control is. So you also have to consider the larger picture, where drinking is not the sin, but something associated with it still is.

So be careful, drinking even if not to excess can still be a sin against temperance.

I know this is no longer supposed to be a debate, but this is really bothering me...

if you're saying that alcohol is in the same category as drugs in the CCC quote you provided, then absolutely any use of it at any age would be immoral. we know this to not be what the Church teaches; I can respect the opinion that says drinking is moral except when you break the law (though I disagree with it), but I cannot respect the radically un-Catholic opinion that drinking alcoholic beverages is immoral in any way in and of itself

remember, if alcohol falls under the category of drugs in the CCC as you say it does, then this is what you're saying about alcohol

The use of drugs [alcohol] inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their [Its] use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs [alcohol] are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law [i.e. drinking alcohol].

"A modern vegetarian is also a teetotaler, yet there is no obvious connection between consuming vegetables and not consuming fermented vegetables. A drunkard, when lifted laboriously out of the gutter, might well be heard huskily to plead that he had fallen there through excessive devotion to a vegetable diet." -GK Chesterton :cool: