An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Jesuits Catholic?

Sojourner

The Jesuits are crazy. Admittedly the order does posess many a good and holy person, but the order is simply heretical and disgracful. (<-- okay, so maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but seriously, they are often times a black mark on the face of the Church.)

Mickey's_Girl

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 7 2005, 01:08 PM']:
you know what they say, where there is four Catholics there's a fifth.

celebrate diversity man.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]815475[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

(calling to mind my astonishment when I walked into my first parish meeting, after a lifetime of being protestant, and finding a table of food, a table of pop and coffee, and a table with wine, beer, and other forms of alcohol. I stopped dead, staring, then laughed at myself. "You aren't a protestant any more!" HA HA HA HA HA!!!!)

MG

[quote]There is an old joke that goes something like this:
What is the only thing not changed at a Jesuit Mass?

The bread and wine. :o [/quote]

haha, good one. you know what's weird? I went to the student parish where I live (ann arbor mi) that was run by jesuits and the host that they use on sundays looks like a powdered waffle! it doesn't even look like it [i]can[/i] be transubstantiated. this is a sunday that I missed the mass at my own parish, which by the way doesn't have that problem, and I kneel and stick out my tongue to receive from the priest. he makes a face as though his feathers were a little ruffled and then scrambles around the dish for a REAL host that they got from the tabernacle (during their daily masses, for some odd reason, they use the hosts that they're SUPPOSED to use for every mass). interesting experience. i don't like going to mass there that much. :ohno:

God bless

+ JMJ JHS

VIVETEINSPIRITUSEMPER

Earthsea Annie

Sounds like the administrators -- who I presume were Jesuits -- were A-OK; it's the students who are off-base in their understanding of what it means to be Jesuit.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 7 2005, 08:45 AM'] GLBT

MOJ

BC
[right][snapback]815056[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If you're going to use that many acronyms, you need to define them at the beginning of your post.

And you call yourself a journalist.

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Dec 14 2005, 10:22 PM']If you're going to use that many acronyms, you need to define them at the beginning of your post.

And you call yourself a journalist.
[right][snapback]826013[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sorry, I'm used to writing for an educated audience. Our style is once we've mentioned a proper noun (for example "Boston College" or "Mirror of Justice" from my opening paragraph) we don't have to specifically note that BC or MOJ refer to those.

GLBT I should have spelled out. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks Steve!

Nice jibe, Sojourner. Perhaps I need to increase my use of TLA. I know they're the rage, but I just didn't want to start using them to look 'cool'.

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Dec 7 2005, 03:04 PM']I have heard of a Jesuit college just eliminate the word "Catholic" from its name, preferring to be called "A college in the Jesuit tradition."  You know it's bad when the "Jesuit tradition" is a euphamism for dissent and heresy. And, how does making BC the same as every other school add value to its diploma? How does becoming less Catholic and more like the other 10,000 liberal arts colleges make it more distinctive?
What if the school decided to have an alcoholics pride fund raising dance? They say they just want to support alcoholics, but they do it by offering cheap booze, celebrating the diverse alcoholics community and watching films that depict binge drinking positively and affirmingly. Would the school be within its rights to ban it? Simply because of the attitude toward alcohol of the participants? How unfair!
But the main problem is that someone needs to give them a refresher course in what being a Jesuit means. Perhaps they should read about St. Ignatius. Or recall the unique "fourth vow" of fidelity to the pope.
[right][snapback]815459[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You cannot cricize all Jesuit schools becasue of something you heard happened at one of them. Also, consider this:

Catholic Colleges and Universities are governed by Apostolic Constitution Ex Corde Ecclesiae, this document was enacted in 1991 by JPII and it serves to outline both the mission and identity of Catholic colleges and Universities. There are many requirements and mandates that institutions must follow in order to maintain and/or be considered an institution in union with the church. Issues have arisen in latter years about institutions with less than 50% of its faculty and staff practicing Catholicism regularly. A failing to maintain a critical mass faculty has caused some universities to drop the strict Catholic affiliation and become private institutions with no affiliation to the church. These instiutions often operate under the subheading "in the tradition of" or "in the Catholic tradition.

Educate yourself please before you speak my brother. You sound as if you're a Franciscan...in which case you may wish to practice the gift of charity.

They WERE disbanded... sometime in the 1700's. Catherine the Great of Russia, however, when she received the news from Rome, forbid that edict to be read at any churches or monasteries. Thus the Jesuits in Russa thrived and, when the Vatican took back that particular edict (or rebanded the Jesuits, I'm not sure) all the Jesuits in Russia came out of hiding. :detective:
Love monarchs named Catherine. :D: Anyway...
We need people like the Jesuits to keep us as a communal Church trying to be open to the world and exploring new paths. Otherwise we become trapped in stagnancy and suffocate in our own traditions. If we wish to enact any change in the world, we have got to know the world and its ways - and the Jesuits have always been great scholars.
The Jesuits have always been the most effective missionaries: when visiting Japan, the Jesuits actually learned the Japanese language and adapted the customs of Japan, rather than doing what certain other explorers have done, such as reading edicts of totalitarian rule in the language of the conquerors and deliberately planting smallpox-infected blankets in the houses of the natives.
Simply put, the Jesuits are awesome and they should not be disbanded.

I suppose, however, that being as I come from Los Angeles and my cardinal is Roger Mahoney my opinion isn't worth [i]bubkes[/i].