An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Jesuits Catholic?

Sojourner

Earlier this week, Boston College's student newspaper, [i]The Heights[/i], published an editorial criticizing an administrative decision to cancel a GLBT dance at the school. The editorial, which was posted on [url="http://www.mirrorofjustice.com"]Mirror of Justice[/url] on Dec. 6, appears here:
[quote]Cancelled GLBT dance challenges BC's focus
By Heights Editorial Board
[b]The Issue:[/b] BC denies GLBT dance due to conflict with the church
[b]What we think:[/b] BC should follow Jesuit values, not Catholic doctrine

The battle for equality on campus has been a long and arduous one. Last semester, the Rally for Equality showcased not only how far the campaign for equal rights has come, but also how important this cause is to a large portion of the Boston College community.

The cancellation of a GLBT "safe zone" dance by the administration last week has only done damage to this crucial campaign. While some may see the University's decision as insignificant, for many it is an issue of great importance, and one that may have grave consequences in the quest for equal rights on BC's campus.

Though there are many potential motives for the cancellation, the University has made it clear that this decision was based primarily on BC's role as a Catholic university, and the seeming implications that follow that. A statement by Jack Dunn, University spokesman, said that BC "cannot sanction an event that is exclusive and that promotes a lifestyle that is in conflict with church teaching and the Jesuit, Catholic mission and heritage of Boston College."

This decision was not made by the church, but by the administration. Office of the Dean for Student Development (ODSD) and Student Affairs concluded that this dance was against the Catholic and Jesuit ideals of BC. The decision by the University was not, however, a breach of the somewhat misleading non-discrimination policy conceived just last year, which actually provides little protection in regard to discrimination based on sexual orientation.

As much as people might want to place the blame solely on the University, there is a central issue beyond simply the actions of the administration that jst be addressed: the church and BC's relationship to it.

Church doctrine is certainly important to many Catholics, and it is especially so for University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., and BC as a Catholic university. BC's Catholic tradition is not something to be taken lightly, as it defines the college as a premier university and an institution that educates men and women not simply through book knowledge, but through service and hands-on experience in the community.

The Vatican recently released a statement saying that it "cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practice homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies, or support the so-called 'gay culture.'"

Though some support the report, that announcement has caused quite a stir and much anger among supporters of homosexual rights. Because it has long been a goal of BC's to be not only one of the country's top universities, but also the premier Catholic university in America, it would seem not only logical, but required that the University should abide by these doctrines.

But the problem isn't that simple. The question at this point is whether BC is willing to sacrifice its Jesuit ideals of compassion and understanding in order to stay in the good graces of the Vatican. In a message titled "Answering society's call" on the BC Web site, Leahy said that "Boston College endeavors to educate a new generation of leaders for the new millennium - men and women who will be capable of shaping a new century with vision, justice, and charity - with a sense of calling, with concern for all of the human family."

Certainly justice, charity, and a "concern for all of the human family" are not consistent with banning GLBT students from holding a dance as an AIDS Awareness Week fundraiser simply because of their sexual orientation.

Whatever the ultimate goal is, BC sits at a crossroads. On the one hand, it can remain devout to each and every doctrine of the church, even if that means treating members of the aforementioned "human family" as if they are something less than that. On the other hand it can educate students in the values of tolerance and understanding that seem to get lost far too often.

BC is an incredible institution because it remains faithful to the Jesuit ideals of "men and women for others" and social justice for the greater glory of God - not because it follows church doctrine to the letter.  BC's rise in national prominence has been fast and significant, but the University can go much farther. As BC aspires to become one of the top universities in the country - and steps have certainly been made to do so - it has a choice to make.

Regardless of varying views on homosexuality, every BC student wants their BC diploma to mean more 20 years down the line as BC becomes an even more respected university. But will that be possible if a school that claims to espouse the values of a man who accepted prostitutes as his equals cannot give the same respect to gays, lesbians, and bisexuals?

The answer will become clear as BC decides what path it will take.[/quote]

It was accompanied by a comment from MOJ poster Mark Sargent:
[quote]An interesting take on this question from the student editors of BC's campus paper – the assumption seems to be that Catholic and Jesuit "values" are different. There are also a number of unexamined assumptions about what being "Catholic" means to BC, and about the relation of its Catholicism to BC's ambitions to be one of the "top"  or "premier" schools in the country. The particular issue discussed in this editorial (a GLBT dance at BC) is less important than the cluster of un-thought-through assumptions about what it means for the college to be Catholic. Perhaps Father Araujo may have some thoughts on the Jesuit vs. Catholic notion. [/quote]

And today Fr. Araujo replied:
[quote]Mark has asked an important question about the relationship between Catholic and Jesuit in the context of The Heights editorial from a couple of days ago. The link is inextricable. As then Father Avery Dulles said in 1999, the second, Jesuit, is an intesification of the first, Catholic. I also believe that a way of understanding this connection is to think and pray about the election between the two standards in the second week of Saint Ignatius's Spiritual Exercises. As the Mullan translation puts it: "The one of Christ, our Commander-in-chief; the other of Lucifer, moral enemy of our human nature." I am not sure if the editors who wrote the piece quoted by Mark are familiar with this part of Jesuit spirituality. It would be a good place to start for any of us interested in the vital relationship.   RJA sj[/quote]

I was unaware that there was an obvious difference between "Jesuit ideals" and Catholic doctrine. If some Jesuits think that there is a difference then we have a big problem on our hands.

Laudate_Dominum

My impression is that the Jesuit order allows for a certain autonomy among her priests. Because of this, I think it is possible that there are a great many wonder Jesuit priests. To be honest, all I've heard is horror stories, but all of the Jesuit priests I've actually met and known have been extraordinary priests and soldiers for Christ.

Who knows... :idontknow:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 7 2005, 09:45 AM']Earlier this week, Boston College's student newspaper, [i]The Heights[/i], published an editorial criticizing an administrative decision to cancel a GLBT dance at the school.
[right][snapback]815056[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
They have some very troubled thinking, including:

Inconsistencies:

[quote][b]What we think:[/b] BC should follow Jesuit values, not Catholic doctrine

Which conflicts with:

"A statement by Jack Dunn, University spokesman, said that BC 'cannot sanction an event that is exclusive and that promotes a lifestyle that is in conflict with church teaching and the Jesuit, Catholic mission and heritage of Boston College.'"

and

"Office of the Dean for Student Development (ODSD) and Student Affairs concluded that this dance was against the Catholic and Jesuit ideals of BC."

If the problem is that they aren't following Jesuit values, when clearly that was the reasoning for their decision (Jesuits being Catholic and all), then that is an inconsistency (and a ridiculous claim).[/quote]

Misconceptions:

[quote]"BC's Catholic tradition is not something to be taken lightly, as it defines the college as a premier university and an institution that educates men and women not simply through book knowledge, but through service and hands-on experience in the community."

Obviously, there's more to being Catholic than "service and hands-on experience in the community."[/quote]

And even false dichotomy:

[quote]"The question at this point is whether BC is willing to sacrifice its Jesuit ideals of compassion and understanding in order to stay in the good graces of the Vatican."

The good graces of the Vatican include compassion and understanding...for the true good of man, not his selfish pleasure.[/quote]

And finally, a complete lack of focus on the true goal of the Church:

[quote]"Certainly justice, charity, and a 'concern for all of the human family' are not consistent with banning GLBT students from holding a dance as an AIDS Awareness Week fundraiser simply because of their sexual orientation."

These people certainly aren't looking toward the eschatalogical.[/quote]

[quote]On the one hand, it can remain devout to each and every doctrine of the church, even if that means treating members of the aforementioned "human family" as if they are something less than that. On the other hand it can educate students in the values of tolerance and understanding that seem to get lost far too often.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

I repeat :rolleyes:

And for good measure :rolleyes:

Sorry to see that university editorial boards haven't gotten any smarter. You just can't make fun of these momunentally ignorant editorials, because they're already caricatures of themselves.

There's some great quotes in there. I especially like "Church doctrine is certainly important to many Catholics."

Students at Jesuit universities tend to be proud of that affiliation, but quite willing to shape it into some amorphous blob that is more comfortable than Christian discipleship. It would be nice if we could entice them further into the truth that has attracted them this far. That's a tall order.

I always thought that Jesuits were Catholic, but who am I to dissent from the editorial board of BC's campus paper?

I seem to recall the Jesuit order officials coming out and reaffirming that they are a pro-life order. [mod]Negative criticism. Please use charity.[/mod]

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Dec 7 2005, 12:50 PM']I seem to recall the Jesuit order officials coming out and reaffirming that they are a pro-life order.  [mod]Negative criticism. Please use charity.[/mod]
[right][snapback]815364[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Charity is a virtue. These consituents you speak of are most likely well meaning, but horribly mislead. It is our duty to lead them to the path of truth and righteousness.

Edited by Lil Red

To continue with not-quite-useless generalizations: It seems that most Jesuit schools are doing an outstanding job of selling their students on Catholic social teaching - meaning the encyclical tradition beginning with Rerum Novarum. I'm just speaking from my own tiny little experience.

So this is a great opportunity for BC to make the case for authentic Christian sexual morality. They already deserve props for cancelling that dance. Not that there should be any question about it, but it does fly in the face of the academic culture that they're swimming in. Hooray for a Catholic university showing some spine.

argent_paladin

I have heard of a Jesuit college just eliminate the word "Catholic" from its name, preferring to be called "A college in the Jesuit tradition." You know it's bad when the "Jesuit tradition" is a euphamism for dissent and heresy. And, how does making BC the same as every other school add value to its diploma? How does becoming less Catholic and more like the other 10,000 liberal arts colleges make it more distinctive?
What if the school decided to have an alcoholics pride fund raising dance? They say they just want to support alcoholics, but they do it by offering cheap booze, celebrating the diverse alcoholics community and watching films that depict binge drinking positively and affirmingly. Would the school be within its rights to ban it? Simply because of the attitude toward alcohol of the participants? How unfair!
But the main problem is that someone needs to give them a refresher course in what being a Jesuit means. Perhaps they should read about St. Ignatius. Or recall the unique "fourth vow" of fidelity to the pope.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Dec 7 2005, 01:04 PM']but they do it by offering [b]cheap booze[/b], celebrating the diverse alcoholics community and watching films that depict binge drinking positively and affirmingly.
[right][snapback]815459[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:drool: :woot: :drool: :cool: :smokey:

you know what they say, where there is four Catholics there's a fifth.

celebrate diversity man. :rolleyes:

the paper sounds a little bit misguided, but it is an interesting article. My hope would be that things like this help administration at colleges like Boston re-evaluate what it means to be Jesuit and then apply it.

btw, the Jesuits that i have met are amazing priests.

I had hoped to write a response to this editorial, but my work this week has just been too much. Unfortunately, nonsense like this is nothing new for the Heights editorial board. It seems like every few weeks they turn out some particularly bizarre opinion. :rolleyes:

If anyone's interested in following this further, the next issue of the paper comes out tomorrow. You can read it online at www.bcheights.com

[quote name='jezic' date='Dec 7 2005, 04:24 PM']that could be interesting.

DO you think the students that are really Catholic will respond?
[right][snapback]815627[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, several of my friends and I have responded before to articles that go against the Church. I can say one good thing for the editorial board - they usually give both sides a fair hearing. All of our pieces were subsequently published.