An Old School Catholic Message Board

We are in for some Bad weather

Church Punk

[quote name='Church Punk' date='Dec 8 2005, 07:19 AM']Socrates,

The benefits of modifying our current consumption rates and seeking to use alternative energy sources would prove most beneficial to our society as a whole. I mean why would you want to continue to breathe the disgusting polluted air in our cities when we can do something about it? Or not be able to enjoy a day at the beach because of water pollution.

If we were to modify our vehicles to operate on hydrogen instead of gasoline the economic and environmental benefits would be tremendous! We would be required to build infrastructure to support it, this would incur cost, however would great new opportunity for new markets, that we can control here in North America or Europe, not relaying on the ever so unstable middle east for oil.

Consider these facts about hydrogen.

The amount of energy produced by burning hydrogen is three (3) times greater than that of gasoline. This would transfer to greater horsepower in our vehicles at a more efficient consumption rate.

The only green house gas vapour emitted by burning hydrogen is water vapour, thus only adding a natural element to the atmosphere.
Sure there would still be some oil used in the system however this would be such a small amount compared to our current use.
[right][snapback]816632[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
As current technology stands, widespread use of hydrogen fuel is untenable. One of the major problems is the large amount of energy required to extract hydrogen from water. This would require burning some other fuel.
Also, the extreme flamable of hydrogen (more so than gasoline) creates safety issues.
However, this is an area of technology definitely worth researching and pursuing. Perhaps this technology will be more feasible in the future.

I don't think massive government regulations and taxes on oil and other fuels are the answer, though.

I think wilderness conservation and forestry, rather than "fossil fuel"-regulations should be at the center of environmental efforts.

There are bacteria that produce hydrogen. I'm not sure how feasable it would to grow them in industrial fermentors and extract the hydrogen....but I'd imagine it would be more effective that breaking down water to get hydrogen.

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Dec 8 2005, 07:49 PM']There are bacteria that produce hydrogen. I'm not sure how feasable it would to grow them in industrial fermentors and extract the hydrogen....but I'd imagine it would be more effective that breaking down water to get hydrogen.
[right][snapback]817590[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sounds quite unsanitary!