An Old School Catholic Message Board

God and Afterlife

Semalsia

Because in God's revelation to us He said so.

To be honest, it seems pretty improbable to me, but I don't get to think up reality for myself. (That's for the best, I'm sure.)

photosynthesis

I agree with philothea...

another interesting thing is that there are people who have "near death experiences.." I don't know much about this phenomena but I know that it's lead some people to believe in an afterlife

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Dec 5 2005, 07:36 PM']Revelation? So you don't know.

It's improbable that there is or that there isn't?
[right][snapback]812727[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Of course I don't "know" -- still being alive and all. But "knowing" is a slippery slope. Nobody "knows" anything.

To my uninformed feelings, an afterlife seems improbable. I do believe in it, though.

[quote] "near death experiences.."[/quote]

Dreams. Hardly a reliable source of knowledge.

[quote]Nobody "knows" anything.[/quote]

This is weird. Then why does everyone keep saying God exists and they have no doubts about it?

Agh... I think you just made every question pointless. It's all faith and nothing else, isn't it?

[quote name='Semalsia' date='Dec 5 2005, 08:11 PM']Dreams. Hardly a reliable source of knowledge.
This is weird. Then why does everyone keep saying God exists and they have no doubts about it?
Agh... I think you just made every question pointless. It's all faith and nothing else, isn't it?
[right][snapback]812747[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, there's only one way of finding out first hand . . .

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 5 2005, 08:13 PM']Well, there's only one way of finding out first hand . . .
[right][snapback]812754[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol_above: :hehe:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='philothea' date='Dec 5 2005, 08:42 PM']Of course I don't "know" -- still being alive and all.  But "knowing" is a slippery slope.  Nobody "knows" anything.
[right][snapback]812729[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Technically, we can know some things. We know that God exists, but that doesn't mean we know anything about Him besides. We know that we exist. We know concrete mathematical relations, etc.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 5 2005, 08:26 PM']Technically, we can know some things.  We know that God exists, but that doesn't mean we know anything about Him besides.  We know that we exist.  We know concrete mathematical relations, etc.
[right][snapback]812770[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
But that's all debatable. :rolleyes:

I stopped liking philosophy many years ago. :cyclops:

photosynthesis

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 5 2005, 08:26 PM']Technically, we can know some things.  We know that God exists, but that doesn't mean we know anything about Him besides.  We know that we exist.  We know concrete mathematical relations, etc.
[right][snapback]812770[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i don't know much about concrete mathematical relations :P:

photosynthesis

haha I thought I was going to have to know all about gnomons for this big math test that I had today... turns out Jesus really loves me and He decided not to make me figure out gnomons for the test. yay Jesus!

[quote name='philothea' date='Dec 5 2005, 08:30 PM']But that's all debatable.  :rolleyes: 
[/quote]
Cogito ergo ego sum?! :ninja:

Really though, one of the preambles of faith is that humans can know that there is a God through light of human reason.