An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is the God of Christianity and Islam the Same?

God's Errand Girl

Do Chrisitians and Muslims Both Worship the Same God?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

photosynthesis

I don't see why Muslims wouldn't be worshipping the same God we believe in. There's only one God... they just don't really have the fullness of understanding of who God is because they don't have the light of Christ and the Church

cmotherofpirl

There IS only one God :) , the muslims [ and the mormons and JWs] have a very flawed understanding of Him, which is not compatable with Christian teaching.

Islam is not analogus to Mormonism, because Mormonism is polytheistic.

Christians and Muslims share a common basic understanding of who God is, that he is one, that he is eternal, and that he is almighty. We worship the same God, although Muslims, like Jews, do not know him as a trinity of persons, but rather, as a oneness of nature.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Dec 5 2005, 06:16 PM']There IS only one God :) , the muslims [ and the mormons and JWs] have a very flawed understanding of Him, which is not compatable with Christian teaching.
[right][snapback]812705[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

good point

[quote name='Era Might' date='Dec 5 2005, 02:05 PM']I don't know how [b]much more clearer[/b] the Holy Father could be.
[right][snapback]812420[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:P:

If the Muslims don't have a standard translation, and there are so many who are against the U.S., a country founded on Christianity, both as terrorists and as religious/political activists (many mullahs), then how do we know they think we worship the same God if they want kill us?

I like Al's take on it earlier in this thread. Just because they profess belief in the same God does not mean they 'Worship' the same.

btw when did Al get a battle ax as a title? Now I'm scared, the kid that appears drunk wielding a weapon! :P:

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Dec 7 2005, 12:13 PM']...there are so many who are against the U.S., a country founded on Christianity,  both as terrorists and as religious/political activists (many mullahs), then how do we know they think we worship the same God if they want kill us?
[right][snapback]815391[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They think we're infidels and heretics.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Dec 6 2005, 08:24 PM']But do they know Him as all-good and that He has given us free will?
[right][snapback]814110[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, Muslims generally believe God is perfectly holy, and as far as I know, most of them believe in free will.

Their conception of God is "stunted", so to speak, in the image of the Old Testament, and the harshness of Muhammed's Arabia in the 7th century. But this doesn't make them idolaters. They have the correct "object" of worship, as known by reason; what they need is not the knowledge of a "new" or "different" God, but the more perfect and revealed knowledge of the God they already serve. They have the right God, but the wrong prophet. :)

Edited by Era Might

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JeffCR07

Muslims, just like Jews, [i]do[/i] worship and profess the same God that we do, they, however, do it imperfectly, while our worship is perfected by Revelation, the sacrifice of Christ, and the Truth of the Spirit.

The difference is like seeing someone behind a veil. When Jews and Muslims worship and talk about God, they are describing a figure that they see in outline. They can make out the general shape, and may even be able to point out some specific details, but they do not see with perfect clarity. Catholics, on the other hand, have had the veil drawn back by Christ, and our vision has been protected from error by the Holy Spirit. We see God not as a dim figure behind a veil, but as a man, with all the detail that reality brings with it.

Does that mean that Jews and Muslims worship, believe in, profess another, different God? No, no more than the person who sees the veiled figure sees and describes a different man than those people who see him without the veil.

It is the [i]same[/i] God, properly understood by some, improperly understood by others, but the same nonetheless.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

just a bit off topic but:

you know how muslims have to face mecca when they pray?

well you can do that facing east or west- like if u start in new york and wanna go to San Fran. you could go all the way over Europe and Asia and across the pacific., or you could just go across the US. Still end up at the same destination. So which way do Muslims face?? (Im not trying to be funny)

I was talking to a friend of mine whom is a muslim theologian and he explained it like this..it is the same God, but in our attempts to love and understand out creator we have come to different concepts.