An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theologians to ask Pope to suspend limbo?

PadreSantiago

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Dec 4 2005, 09:41 PM']in the index of the catechism, you'll find the term "limbo" and it refers you to the catechism number you're referring to.
[right][snapback]811154[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's funny that the index uses the word limbo, but the text itself never does. Rather, the statement made in the catechism could be seen as undermining limbo theory. Limbo theory claims to explain the fate of unbaptized infants, whereas the CCC appears to leave the question open ended.

But its been a while since I read that part of the CCC.. Hopefully my impression is true. If I'm way off please refute me somebody.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 2 2005, 03:18 AM']I actually agree. Limbo is a theory that doesn't work. I will discuss/debate the matter with anyone who disagrees if they're interested.
[right][snapback]808096[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
We have already been down this road. Let me stress that I vehemntly disagree with you on this one.

dairygirl4u2c

Let me voice some ideas as a former Catholic and as someone attempting to stay in the realms of Catholic theological boundaries.

I wonder though. If heaven is with God and hell is without God, what's limbo? Is it beyond compreshension? (cause I can image the other two to a degree)

First let me say I would agree with Limbo from a Catholic perspective. To say they have heaven is not just because they have not earned it through grace. To say they have hell is not just because they have not forfeited it. To say that limbo will be "open" at the second coming doesn't mean a whole lot: what does "open" mean? Will the justness all the sudden not matter and they will be cast to heaven or hell? More on this later though.

The idea of them going to purgatory might at first glance be an option. Purgatory is where you develop... but it's where you develop into heaven. Some may have not ever been destined to heaven.

One option is that they live in a life other than this after they die, not reincarnation, but in another world, to determine their choice to accept God or not.

I think probably the best idea that most could agree with is that God knows what that person would have done in their life, and judges them accordingly. I suppose this process is limbo, but to call it limbo might be a cop out to those who do not agree with limbo because it's instantaneous. So really, with this scenario, to call it limbo or not is more the question. With this teory, Some might argue that the person never had the chance to fall voluntarly, but it's really not changing anything, and given the situation that ended their life, something needs to occur I'd think. As for limbo opening, maybe this judgement happens then, though I see no reason for it to be then and not when they die, unless you want to stick to that bible quote about the first coming and keep it tied to that, though I might argue after the first coming, limbo was no longer needed and the God know what the person would have done argument could be used.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 9 2005, 11:25 AM']It's funny that the index uses the word limbo, but the text itself never does. Rather, the statement made in the catechism could be seen as undermining limbo theory. Limbo theory claims to explain the fate of unbaptized infants, whereas the CCC appears to leave the question open ended.

But its been a while since I read that part of the CCC.. Hopefully my impression is true. If I'm way off please refute me somebody.
[right][snapback]818291[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Okay! So I wasn't totally spaced out, because I never recalled limbo being really specifically drawn out in the Catechism itself. That might explain why I felt sketchy about it. Thanks for clarifying that, LD!

Now if I could find my Catechism... I have misplaced it -- somewhere around here in my postage stamp room. :idontknow: