An Old School Catholic Message Board

Iraq abuse 'as bad as Saddam era'

PadreSantiago

PadreSantiago

The former Iraqi prime minister, Iyad Allawi, has called for immediate action against human rights abuses.

Such abuses are as bad today as they were under Saddam Hussein, Mr Allawi told Britain's Observer newspaper.

His comments come two weeks after 170 detainees were found at an interior ministry centre, some allegedly suffering from abuse and starvation.

Iraq's president dismissed Mr Allawi's allegations, saying his government did not accept the torture of prisoners.

The BBC's Jim Muir in Baghdad says Mr Allawi's remarks come as Iraq prepares for parliamentary elections next month, which he hopes could see him return as prime minister.

His comments are likely to heat up the election debate and will go down well within the Sunni community, our correspondent adds.

'Contagious'

"People are doing the same as (in) Saddam Hussein's time and worse," Mr Allawi told the newspaper.

"It is an appropriate comparison. People are remembering the days of Saddam.

"These were the precise reasons that we fought Saddam Hussein, and now we are seeing the same things."

Militias are operating within the Shia-led government, torturing and killing in secret bunkers, he said.

Mr Allawi - who was displaced earlier this year by Shia factions - said the militias had infiltrated the police, and warned that their influence could spread throughout the government.

Mr Allawi said that if urgent action was not taken "the disease infecting [the interior ministry] will become contagious and spread to all ministries and structures of Iraq's government".

He also warned of the danger of Iraq disintegrating in chaos.

"Iraq is the centrepiece of this region," he said. "If things go wrong, neither Europe nor the United States will be safe."

Mr Allawi was Iraq's first interim prime minister, but he failed to win January's election which brought the current Prime Minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari, to power.

He has since formed a coalition to contest next month's parliamentary elections.

PadreSantiago

Can you say "abu ghraib" ? Can you say "Guantanamo Bay" Can you say "Japenese Internment Camps," CAN YOU FRIGGIN' SAY "GENEVA CONVENTION"?

Can you say Saddam Hussein having 2000 "criminals" in one day shot in the back of the head and buried in a pit, instead of building a new prison?

the fact this article actually exists and the fact than an Iraqi can speak out and is still alive proves that it is not as bad as Sadam.

[quote name='rkwright' date='Dec 2 2005, 11:54 AM'][color=blue]the fact this article actually exists and the fact than an Iraqi can speak out and is still alive proves that it is not as bad as Sadam.[/color]
[right][snapback]808463[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

owned

i suppose this means we should take the troops out of iraq. because like.. that will make everything better?

Comparing Guantanamo Bay to years of random executions at the hand of a mad man and consistent unilateral torture is ridiculous.

Abu Ghraib was wrong. It has been dealt with. Abuses will always occur in military actions.

The US obviously isn't immune to human rights violations. The Japanese internment camps are a good example. Perhaps support of the UK during the most violent phases of occupation in Ireland would be another.

I trust our media about zip, having spoken to soldiers involved in actions over there that the media got (apparently intentionally) completely wrong. Both the dems and reps have their own purposes for this war, and niether is angelic.

2000 criminals shot in the back of the head is not the same thing as 170 "allegedly" (a common word for "we don't know, but we heard and since it fits our agenda..." I've seen the media distort things I've seen first hand. They lie as efficiently as any intelligence organization) suffering abuse and mistreatment. Both are wrong.

Frankly, we are dealing with an entity that as an accepted matter of course intentionally targets and tortures non-combatants. The Iraqis have been putting up with this sort of insanity for years. There will be acts of retribution. We might end up with another Saddam in power, or we might not. We know there will be war, and we know that thus far this war has been remarkably succesful and our casualties are very low. War cannot be assessed with emotion, it must be assessed with cold hard fact. That is why we should avoid war at all costs--it can inoculate us against outrage.

I am personally grateful for our war in Afghanistan. Iraq is less clear, but that is perhaps because of the media. The nature of terrorism makes it hard to track. I know the clinton approach didn't work. I know that the more Europe capitulates, the weaker they become.

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Dec 2 2005, 08:04 AM']Can you say "abu ghraib" ?  Can you say "Guantanamo Bay"  Can you say "Japenese Internment Camps," CAN YOU FRIGGIN' SAY "GENEVA CONVENTION"?
[right][snapback]808298[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are Japanese Internment Camps in Iraq? That is an outrage!

PadreSantiago

[quote name='rkwright' date='Dec 2 2005, 12:54 PM']the fact this article actually exists and the fact than an Iraqi can speak out and is still alive proves that it is not as bad as Sadam.
[right][snapback]808463[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

OHHHHH i thought this article was just rhetoric! It means something now?

And to the question of whether or not the us would kill 2000 people in one day LETS SEE THERE'S THIS THING CALLED AN ATOMIC BOMB we dropped it on a little country called JAPAN and killed half a million people in a SECOND! Saddam could never even dream to kill as many people as america has. Do you know how many people died by our hand in the Vietnam war?

Edited by PadreSantiago

PadreSantiago

And yea I never want to hear the word SUCCESS in the same sentence with WAR ever again. War is never a success it's always a failure.

Edited by PadreSantiago

PadreSantiago

What does Guatamala, Iran, Cuba, Brazil, Vietnam, Chile and Iraq all have in common?

OHHHHHH I KNOW! America stuck it's big fat nose in other peoples business and PEOPLE DIE!

guatamala-Us topples a democratically elected government, 45 years of murder and massacre follow...

Iran-1950s Iran has a democracy us undermines it....

Cuba-The Us secretly fund the military invasion of cuba and tries multiple times to assassinate Fidel Castro.

Brazil-Us sponsers military coup and topples another democratically elected government, Brazil gets 21 years of brutal military rule....

Vietnam-What do I even have to say about Vietnam. At least 3 million peple die...More bombs dropped on N. Vietnam than the total dropped on Italy Britain and Japan during WW2

Chile- Secretly the Us, engineers a military coup....thousands are tortured and killed.

=(

[quote name='PadreSantiago' date='Dec 3 2005, 08:19 AM']And yea I never want to hear the word SUCCESS in the same sentence with WAR ever again.  War is never a success it's always a failure.
[right][snapback]809468[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

WWII a success? or let hitler continue to mass murder his own people? But you're right, we stuck our nose in that one too and people got killed... shame on us for trying to stop genocide.

[quote name='rkwright' date='Dec 3 2005, 04:56 PM']WWII a success? or let hitler continue to mass murder his own people?  But you're right, we stuck our nose in that one too and people got killed... shame on us for trying to stop genocide.
[right][snapback]809932[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, we mustn't forget WWII - U.S. invades country overseas, involving itself needlessly in a European war, resulting in deaths of many thousands of Americans, Germans, and allies. Democratically-elected government there crushed. Democratically-elected leader kills self, rather than face American brutality.