An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics and Republicans

Socrates

In national elections, should Catholics:  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote]Is there a point you are trying to make here?
What do you mean by "pro-life"?[/quote]

Yes and I'm trying to support your point.

And what I mean by pro life is what you mean by pro life. It is what the Church means by pro life

[quote]I don't have a list of all the names, but a large number (not all) Republicans are pro-life. [/quote]

Not by your definition or by mine. Nor by the source of that definition

[quote]As for your first question, I beleive I've quoted Cardinal Ratzinger enough times. We've been over this before.[/quote]

I have no idea what this means. I'm asking a sincere question about pro life republicans.

politicians give lip service to the people who will elect them. that means that a lot of 'pro-life' republicans couldn't give two hoots. politics is all about compromise, and morality is not excepted.

The one part that I will take exception to is that there's a whole lot of pro life republicans

I'd love for someone to start naming them. Who are they?

[quote name='PhillyMatt' date='Nov 28 2005, 01:33 AM']A candidates issues or stance only goes so far.  It usually changes throughout their tenure in office based on public opinion.  If the candidate thinks that being pro-life will get him more votes, he'll become pro-life if he is smart.  It's ultimatly up to the public in regarding what the office holder believes.  I refuse to believe that those in public office have the beliefs due to their conscience, it's what'll get votes.

I'm just saying I'd like an intelligent and well spoken person in office.  Maybe Bush's belief system, with Kerry's intelligence and nuance.  I want the president to be AND sound smarter than Larry my paperboy. (I apologize to Larry if I hurt his feelings.)
[right][snapback]802269[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Anyone who constantly changes their "stance" based on public opinion is utterly worthless as a leader.

And for whatever else can be said bad about Bush, I would not say he is an idiot. He got better grades in school than Kerry, who is no genius himself.
I think when people's criticism of Bush amounts to little more than saying, "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" this reflects their own lack of intelligence, and inability to make reasoned critiques rather than childish name-calling.

And if a "smart" candidate will be pro-life "to get votes," why was Kerry, with his alleged " intelligence and nuance," too dumb to figure this out?

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Nov 28 2005, 11:35 PM']I said earlier I thought Rick Santorum was one.
[right][snapback]803328[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ok that's one

[quote]I think when people's criticism of Bush amounts to little more than saying, "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" this reflects their own lack of intelligence, and inability to make reasoned critiques rather than childish name-calling.
[/quote]

Thank God I've only called him a ding dong

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 28 2005, 11:32 PM']The one part that I will take exception to is that there's a whole lot of pro life republicans

I'd love for someone to start naming them.  Who are they?
[right][snapback]803325[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This is a bit old (from a year ago), but this gives a list of congressional candidates. The ones marked with a "1" are 100% pro-life.

[url="http://www.rnclife.org/pac/2004_Primary_PAC_Report.html"]NRC for Life 2004 Candidate List[/url]

I'll see if I can dig up more later.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Nov 28 2005, 11:57 PM']Henry Hyde and Chris Smith have stood out in Congress.  (I think Hyde's retired, though).
[right][snapback]803382[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And you thought I wasn't supporting your point

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 28 2005, 11:59 PM']And you thought I wasn't supporting your point
[right][snapback]803391[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Old habits die hard, I guess. I've just gotten used to disagreeing. :)

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:42 PM']There should be an option for voting for whatever candidate is closest to church teaching.
[right][snapback]802106[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Above is just another reason why cmom rocks.
I am in total agreement with her.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Nov 27 2005, 05:09 PM']MC could you please be a little more prudent with calling people geniuses. I am not defending Kerry, but that is uneccisary.  <_<
[right][snapback]801710[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, Just...you're a rap artist, man!

Say "foo" instead. :lol:

I'm just kidding. I happen to agree with Paphnutius.